Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

If the rest of the free world has gotten it right - how come so many foreigners come here for treatment?

"Hospitals in other states have also been working the international circuit hard for the past decade. For example, the University of Chicago Medical Center and Rush University Medical Center in Chicago have both recruited well-heeled foreigners to pay full freight for procedures that aren't as easy to obtain in their home countries. In some cases, these overseas patients are willing to pay as much as $120,000 for heart surgery and $40,000 for a prostate operation. That's good money for U.S. hospitals that are often forced to give insurance companies big discounts.

Many of these patients come from elsewhere in the Americas. For instance, some Canadian patients who are tired of waiting for procedures in their country's national health system come to Michigan hospitals. And in south Florida, Baptist Health, a five-hospital chain, has treated more than 10,000 international patients, mainly from the Caribbean and Latin America.

Like Detroit Medical Center, Baptist has an international center that caters to foreign patients. So does Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. Seventy-one percent of Texas Children's international patients come from Latin America, and most of the rest hail from the Middle East."
If YOU have gotten it right, why do so many Americans seek treatment in places like India, Mexico and Thailand?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Many of these patients come from elsewhere in the Americas. For instance, some Canadian patients who are tired of waiting for procedures in their country's national health system come to Michigan hospitals.
These are elective procedures. Some people just don't feel like waiting for treatment for non life-threatening conditions, like cataracts.
That being said, it's only one half of one percent of Canadians who run for the border.
Yo quiero expensive treatment."

Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM

872 posts, read 827,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
That is a matter of opinion..

You are entitled to yours and I'm to mine.

If you think, though, that doctors will simply seize to exists.. well that's just nuts. You don't get into something, no matter what it is, only for the money. Those that do that are never really good at what they do anyway, nor do they remain because there is no passion for what they do.

And.. you're assuming that the services need to be for "free". Food is a good.. and its neccesary for sustaining life. That is why we have programs in place to help those that don't make enough feed themselves and their families.

Housing as well.. an expensive good..but we have subsidized housing to make sure that we don't have homelessness.. Yes,I acknowledge that there still does exist a homeless population, but we certainly work to curb that with programs to assist the poor.

With healthcare, I nor any liberal is really looking for the service to be given away for free... simply looking for the ability to pay what they can afford to get that service... those who can pay more should, but those that can't pay the ticket price shouldn't be left to die. Subsidized healthcare...

And, in the case of the rest of the free world.. a SHARED system of healthcare where each, in essence, pays into it what they are capable of.. and each has access to the care they need regardless as to whether they flip burgers at McDees or they are a CEO of a major corporation.

Healthcare is unique because it has the power to be the difference between life and death..No other service really has that distinction. No one need die when there is cures and treatments for whatever ails you.. and certainly the size of your wallet shouldn't determine who is worthy or not worthy...
Health care is not a right. There are few rights in this world. Just because I make more, does not mean I should have to pay more. That idea of spreading the wealth is garbage. There is already free and reduced cost hospitals/clinics for those who do not have insurance. You and all your Liberal friends will be crying, when you find out exactly what garbage the ACA is.....if you really think this is about giving healthcare to everyone, the joke is on you. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, you will need it.....

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM

577 posts, read 435,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Health care is not a right. There are few rights in this world. Just because I make more, does not mean I should have to pay more. That idea of spreading the wealth is garbage. There is already free and reduced cost hospitals/clinics for those who do not have insurance. You and all your Liberal friends will be crying, when you find out exactly what garbage the ACA is.....if you really think this is about giving healthcare to everyone, the joke is on you. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, you will need it.....
IF there were enough charity and enough "free" clinics.. we wouldn't have a crappy healthcare system we have.

We already know charity is not enough to fill in the gaps.

I'll never change your opinion, you'll never change mine. This again goes back to the original post.. the fundamental difference between the two sides is that one believes it to be a right, the other doesn't.

As long as you got yours your good right? Until you're not. The thing of it is, it's no longer poor who are not able to access healthcare. It's working middle class citizens who are finding that they can't.. and are loosing everything they have worked for when an illness befalls them or a loved one.

So, while you may think you have yours.. you really don't. None of us do. WE all have to worry about whether a bout of cancer is going to wipe out everything we worked so hard to make.......

The rest of the free world has figured this out....

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM

872 posts, read 827,639 times
Quote:
IF there were enough charity and enough "free" clinics.. we wouldn't have a crappy healthcare system we have.

We already know charity is not enough to fill in the gaps.

I'll never change your opinion, you'll never change mine. This again goes back to the original post.. the fundamental difference between the two sides is that one believes it to be a right, the other doesn't.

As long as you got yours your good right? Until you're not. The thing of it is, it's no longer poor who are not able to access healthcare. It's working middle class citizens who are finding that they can't.. and are loosing everything they have worked for when an illness befalls them or a loved one.

So, while you may think you have yours.. you really don't. None of us do. WE all have to worry about whether a bout of cancer is going to wipe out everything we worked so hard to make.......

I have experienced the 'bout' of cancer, with my little girl. Our health insurance did NOT cover all of the costs. Due to the amount of money we made we did not qualify for medicaid. This was years ago. It took us over 12 years to pay off the massive amount of medical bills that our insurance did not cover.

So don't give me the garbage about everyone needing health care. It's not a magic pill. It's not going to cover 100% of anything. You will still be forced to pay what it does not cover, on top of higher cost of monthly premiums.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
As long as you got yours your good right?
I've earned the means to acquire my food, clothing, shelter, medical care, etc. There's no reason why other able-bodied people cannot do the same for themselves and their dependents.
Quote:
The rest of the world has implemented HIGHLY REGRESSIVE tax systems to PAY for it. Why won't the U.S. do the same?

Other countries' taxes are highly regressive - Washington Post

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
BS analogy. You can't choose to not get robbed/attacked/murdered/carjacked/raped, etc.

The question stands...
And if you Informed Consent worked hard all your life yet got laid off and couldn't buy health insurance anywhere because of a minor pre-existing condition and you get robbed/attacked/carjacked/raped/etc. your party would consider you a leech and let you die without health care. Even though I have paid into health insurance all my life and never had to go to the hospital for myself and paid taxes for police and court system that have only given me traffic tickets, I am willing to continue paying a share of my wages for government services so if you have the misfortune to get robbed/attacked/raped you get the healthcare you need and the police and criminal justice system can get involved to help you. Now, if you get robbed/attacked/raped would you prefer to be left in the gutter by your fellow Republicans who consider you a parasite taking money from them or get back to health with help from others who consider you a human? Do you have a right to healthcare after a violent robbery/attack/rape that you do not choose, or is it a privilege?

Last edited by fumbling; 11-04-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
"spreading the wealth is garbage" Do you realize its because of the spreading of the wealth this nation became the most powerful? This behavior, the laws, the legislation did not start with the US. Without the "spreading the wealth is garbage" business, most folks would still be enslaved in one form or the other--slavery, serfs, indentured servitude or just plain tossed to the curb to starve while a few families out of millions prospered. It's not a liberal thing, it is not a communist thing, it was laws and cultures that had to change, and change it did for the betterment of mankind. Freeing the American slaves can also be considered as spreading the wealth as one example of many.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM

577 posts, read 435,654 times
Quote:
I have experienced the 'bout' of cancer, with my little girl. Our health insurance did NOT cover all of the costs. Due to the amount of money we made we did not qualify for medicaid. This was years ago. It took us over 12 years to pay off the massive amount of medical bills that our insurance did not cover.

So don't give me the garbage about everyone needing health care. It's not a magic pill. It's not going to cover 100% of anything. You will still be forced to pay what it does not cover, on top of higher cost of monthly premiums.
Well.. in Europe and the rest of the FREE WORLD .. there is no such thing as taking 12 years to pay off the debt of what coverage didn't cover..

THAT IS THE POINT.... indeed the ACA falls far short of this..

THe rest of the world sees it as a right.. and they don't have to go through the garbage we do when they get sick...

Your story is an argument FOR a one payer system...

Oh.. and they have a higher life expectancy than we do in the U.S... Our healthcare system.. is ranked 46th in the world.. below Iran and just above Serbia.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data...care-countries

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If YOU have gotten it right, why do so many Americans seek treatment in places like India, Mexico and Thailand?
Probably because certain drug and treatments have not been approved for use in the USA by the FDA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies