Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you can't afford to feed your children, why do you think I can afford to feed my children and yours too?
Not to discount responsible behavior or making healthy choices. However, seems the one providing the service is the one to address here. Govt offers the service and terms.

Do you go and complain to wal-mart customers if you are unhappy with their practices?

People fund everything. The govt has nothing without them, this is the good faith and credit of the govt.

People; everyone, poor or rich.

The only reason the govt offers the service is to create revenue. They focus on creating vast amounts of it. What makes you think that not offering this particular service will reduce what you pay in any way? I assume by "afford" you are referring to taxes?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
What makes you think that not offering this particular service will reduce what you pay in any way? I assume by "afford" you are referring to taxes?
Granted CD it won't change the tax liability that many of us have, but wouldn't you say that accountability for our money should be priority #1 for our elected officials. Let's say that there is 1 Billion in fraud (I believe someone here in this post gave a link to that number)... I don't know about you, but to me that's not peanuts. While in the large scope of the federal budget it may not mean anything, but its a start. Right now it's plain and simple.. the government takes in less than it spends. There is enough waste to go around from both sides. The fact is that someone who is selling their food stamp card for pennies on the dollar obviously isn't hungry. The fact is that someone who continually has children over and over with total disregard for whether they can feed them is irresponsible. The fact that there are people who have the physical ability to work, yet choose not to proves laziness. This is about character and principals and about fiscal responsibility, not about starving children. We want the starving children to eat, but we seem to be rewarding the parents for their lack of character. Our society simply cannot keep giving these folks a pass... It's time we quit giving them a trophy just for participation and actually make them learn the rules of the game.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Granted CD it won't change the tax liability that many of us have, but wouldn't you say that accountability for our money should be priority #1 for our elected officials. Let's say that there is 1 Billion in fraud...
Speaking of fraud...
Quote:
The early findings of an ongoing review of the Illinois Medicaid program revealed that half the people enrolled weren’t even eligible.

...A review was ordered more than a year ago-- because of concerns about waste and abuse. So far, the state says reviewers have examined roughly 712 thousand people enrolled in Medicaid, and found that 357 thousand, or about half of them shouldn't have received benefits.

..."It says that we've had a system that is dysfunctional. Once people got on the rolls, there wasn't the will or the means to get them off,” said Senator Bill Haines of Alton.

A state spokesman insists that the percentage of unqualified recipients will continue to drop dramatically as the review continues because the beginning of the process focused on the people that were most likely to be unqualified for those benefits. But regardless of how it ends, critics say it's proof that Illinois has done a poor job of protecting taxpayers money.

“Illinois one of the most mismanaged states in country-- lists of reasons-- findings shouldn't surprise anyone,” said Ted Dabrowski.

Dabrowski, a Vice-President of The Illinois Policy Institute think tank, spoke with News 4 via SKYPE. He said the Medicaid review found two out of three people recipients either got the wrong benefits, or didn't deserve any at all.

We added so many people to Medicaid rolls so quickly, we've lost control of who belongs there,” said Dabrowski.

"So, we've got to get these rolls cut to those who are qualified as they promised,” said Senator Haines.
Audit reveals half of people enrolled in Ill. Medicaid program not eligible | KMOV.com St. Louis

Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

It would be interesting to know whether it was due to inadequate screening/bad procedures at application or applicants providing false information

Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Speaking of fraud..
As an ex-resident of that state.... nothing that state does surprises me.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I think I have figured out that you just keep repeating the same thing until all other posters retire from the argument. You wear everyone out. When do you work? Also, no, no one I associate with is on food stamps or welfare. They have something called pride, and they don't have children they can't afford, nor would they think of applying for a handout. I believe that having children knowing you can' t support them should be considered neglect, which is child abuse. Children should not have to suffer because their parents are irresponsible.
so what is everybody else doing? They are arguing their own version of welfare queen, personal responsibility, pride, character flaws, etc., over and over again. Oh, yes, and the most important argument "MY TAX MONEY".....redistribution of wealth. I'm countering those positions with other ways of looking at the situation and challenging people to support their opinions with facts. Yes, AT ONE TIME there were LOTS of people scamming the system. However, no one who believes that is still the case EVER mentions the Welfare Reform Act of 1996!!! IMO, that's because most ARE ignorant of those changes.

When I work is none of your businesses. Clearly you've never had your own small business and been self employed. Do you think EVERYBODY works from 9 to 5? Sometimes I do work those hours, however, usually I work when I need to do research and WHEN I can catch witnesses I need to speak to at home, which means sometimes in the evening, and sometimes early morning, etc. I've given you far more information than you deserve.

I'm not at all surprised that you do know personally know any people who need public assistance. Dear god, that would mean you'd have to at some point leave your guarded "comfort zone." Yet, you seem to feel comfortable opining at length about the lives of the needy as if you actually had a clue regarding how difficult their lives really are. I think those of you who INSIST on requiring the government to "fix" what you call "character flaws" in the millions of people who need public assistance have a bit of a control issue and are, frankly, terrified that you may just have some of those same "flaws" you've managed to hide, and god only knows, someday you just may need financial help. We usually hate in others the parts of ourselves they reflect back to us.

Yes, I'm tenacious. I picked up that little trait in courtrooms and in investigating.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Medicaid is NOT FOOD STAMPS. This thread is about deep cuts to country's food stamp program. Additionally, your link just proves that there are checks on public assistance programs. Now those who don't qualify for Medicaid can get obamacare at an affordable price if they are low income.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Medicaid is NOT FOOD STAMPS.
Are you somehow under the deluded impression that fraud occurs in the Medicaid program but not any other government welfare program?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Granted CD it won't change the tax liability that many of us have, but wouldn't you say that accountability for our money should be priority #1 for our elected officials. Let's say that there is 1 Billion in fraud (I believe someone here in this post gave a link to that number)... I don't know about you, but to me that's not peanuts. While in the large scope of the federal budget it may not mean anything, but its a start. Right now it's plain and simple.. the government takes in less than it spends. There is enough waste to go around from both sides. The fact is that someone who is selling their food stamp card for pennies on the dollar obviously isn't hungry. The fact is that someone who continually has children over and over with total disregard for whether they can feed them is irresponsible. The fact that there are people who have the physical ability to work, yet choose not to proves laziness. This is about character and principals and about fiscal responsibility, not about starving children. We want the starving children to eat, but we seem to be rewarding the parents for their lack of character. Our society simply cannot keep giving these folks a pass... It's time we quit giving them a trophy just for participation and actually make them learn the rules of the game.
The govt uses liabilities to acquire wealth. The economy didn't accidentally become debt based. The budget is the very least of it. The revenues;what they are investing in and purchasing is what matters.

The govt has far more wealth than the customers they are serving. If you have issue with a business practice you take it up with the business not the customer.

In fact, it is somewhat interesting to me that Finn claims his wife is a food stamp worker, but he somehow seems to take issue with the program. Hopefully, his wife doesn't feel that way about her customers.

As to condemnations of abstract people I see little point in this practice. Learning about govt accounting and business practices would seem more productive, especially if one is concerned with "accountability".

Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you can't afford to feed your children, why do you think I can afford to feed my children and yours too?

If you want to live in this country, you have to pay taxes. The only say you have in how your taxes are spent is when you vote. Your taxes also pay for roads, highways, wars, corporate welfare, bank bailouts, etc., etc., etc. Why do you think you'll get such a HUGE tax break if there were no public assistance programs? Also, why would you want to live in a society which has millions and millions of starving, hungry, sick, homeless people roaming the streets?

The amount of your tax money that goes to feed the poor is probably so pitifully low that you couldn't even buy a cup of coffee with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies