Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 12:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I don't know of any families of at least three (are you counting yourself in that number? You, your husband, and a child? Or just you and two children?) who can live on $280 per month for food.

The person never answered whether or not he/she received the $280 as an individual or a family. However, I would say that even cooking your own meals you could not eat steaks, rib roasts, $10 pies, expensive olive oils, etc., etc., for $280 per month.

Share with us what types of foods you could buy that would sustain you as an individual on $280 per month for an entire month.
They can easily put their money where their mouth is...

The SNAP Challenge encourages participants to experience what life is like for millions of low-income Americans living on the average daily allowance of only $4.80...

The SNAP Challenge - Foodshare

SNAP Challenge Begins to Take Its Toll | Bob Aiken

Old 11-02-2013, 12:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If welfare no longer existed for you would you sit there and do nothing?
If I were past retirement age, and could not get a job, what else could I do?

Fortunately, our country is populated with a lot of highly evolved folks who understand and support the reality that we all have a social responsibility to our fellow citizens. Thank god we are not all barbarians.

So when I get past retirement age, and if SS is not there for me, and I can't afford food, I'll tell you then what I might do.

What's the matter, petch? You can't effectively argue the public health risks of having a very large portion of the population almost starving and then the results of an antibiotic-resistant disease growing from that population into your own "sterilized" world?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are more people than ever before.

The percentage of the population who receives welfare benefits has been increasing all along.

Most who receive benefits are working poor. Used to be that many low skilled workers could seek employment in factories and make enough to raise a family on the lower rungs of middle class.

Even during the prosperous 50's, 25% of the population lived in dire poverty.

Global competition and technology permanently eliminated serious millions of these jobs.

15% of manufacturing jobs were eliminated between 2000-2010 due to technology.

The real irony is that those states with the highest percentage of poverty tend to vote Republican. The state, not the fed, operate welfare programs including fraud detection and prevention.
Please keep the facts of the issue out of this thread.
This thread is about stereotyping the poor as lazy, shiftless, moronic, liberals who receive handouts from hard working, honest, christian, patriotic, right wing, conservatives.

Thank you.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

The SNAP Challenge encourages participants to experience what life is like for millions of low-income Americans living on the average daily allowance of only $4.80...

If you are a good cook,
armed with only a pan, a knife, and a cutting board,
you can easily ace the challenge.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Conservatives give more to charity than liberals do and are more likely to volunteer. Sorry. Try again.

And this is what a lot of the these mooches working the system buy with the "assistance" they are given. God knows they don't want to put forth the effort to actually make/cook something.

??? when I received food stamps, I was cooking with a single hot plate. What exactly can you make with that?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You? You're on food stamps?
If you aren't, believe me, I couldn't care less what you buy and eat.
I know about drug resistant germs...a big contribution to their evolution is the overuse of antibiotics and the helicopter moms that won't let their precious little kiddies play in the mud and super disinfect everything with Lysol, etc.
Better eating habits isn't going to stop a 'super bug' from causing a lot of grief if it gets out of hand.
Stop obsessing over it unless being paranoid is what turns you on

And seriously, even though the junk food does fill half the carts being checked out, the concern is even more with the "healthy" food mommy is feeding them.
Boxes of macaroni and cheese, frozen chicken fingers, TV dinners with a teaspoonful of peas or corn, Spaghettios...on and on. Tons of salt and corn syrup and a tiny bit of food with any nutritional value, if any.
You earlier made some reference to what I eat, therefore, the response.

So YOU think that an antibiotic-resistant disease would NOT spread rapidly in a low income, poor area of society, even if it got started in a hospital? And what makes you think it wouldn't get started in a low income area where people are almost starving. The FACT is those germs are out there and they are going to get worse. WHY feed the fire by creating a population living in substandard, far-below poverty line areas, with little to no food? You think you'll teach them to be "responsible" and to "make better food choices" by depriving them of food, and the effect of that decision won't affect you ever? Silly, wishful thinking on your part. Burying your head in the sand. Talking about FACTS is not paranoia.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

If that is a program that taught somebody how to eat...and eat well...on that budget, I'd do it since I only exceed that amount now by choice. We've not been able to go out much so I've been splurging often on things like $18 a lb scallops, poterhouse and more expensive vegetables like asparagus.

When not doing so, spending about $300 a month for two is no problem.

3,493 posts, read 3,199,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You are a liar. SNAP pays a max of $200 for one person and that's today. The benefits used to be less.

Eligibility
Maybe in YOUR state, but not mine..at least, then.

423 posts, read 414,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Nothing says "America" like cutting off the SNAP program for millions of kids. God bless America.
Time for their $#@%ing parents to provide for them.

...and if they can't, stop having them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If you are a good cook,
armed with only a pan, a knife, and a cutting board,
you can easily ace the challenge.
Prove it, and tell us what you eat each day.

And at the end of the challenge (with no cheating) tell us that you're not hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies