Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

At least in downstate NY, 9-6 is more common than 8-5. Might depend on the business. My mom's office most aren't there yet at 8:30, depends on the specific job though.

In any case, standard time has more of an advantage if you start work at 8 am rather than close to 9 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At least in downstate NY, 9-6 is more common than 8-5. Might depend on the business. My mom's office most aren't there yet at 8:30, depends on the specific job though.

In any case, standard time has more of an advantage if you start work at 8 am rather than close to 9 am.
Yes. My friend and I like to walk before work, b/c we know we won't do it any other time. On the days I work, we have to go at 6:45. Last week we just skipped those days, b/c it was just too dark, esp. when it was cloudy.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

373 posts, read 589,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The difference between the eastern and western part of a given time zone is at most just under one hour. Hardly a significant difference, nor does it change the length of the day.

Latitude is what determines the length of the day, not longitude. If they are the same latitude, then no matter where they are on the planet, the length of the day will be exactly the same.

FYI, Winter Solstice is on December 21st, not December 10th. Summer Solstice is June 21st, not June 15th.

Earliest sunsets are on or about December 8th (look it up). By December 18th sunsets start getting later. It's sunset that I care about (I'm in bed snoring when the sun comes up), and far as I'm concerned, its way more easy to stomach a sunset at 5:10 then it is a sunset at 4:20. Don't forget, if sun sets at 5:10, its still light out at 5:40 (if above latitude 40, say) but if the sun sets at 4:20, at the same latitude (i.e., Boston) it is pitch black darkness of midnight at 5 o'clock. How depressing. I'd hang myself.

Yes days are short but its the daylight you actually experience that makes the difference in my book.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
I totally LOVE that daylight savings time is OVER for awhile. My "body clock" never adapts to that change in time. I finally feel normal again!!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Daylight Savings Time. Whenever we set the clocks back, I always find it a little enjoyable to have an extra hour during the weekend.

What about you?
It is nice to have the sun still out at 7pm, but then we have to watch out for the kids waiting for the bus for school every morning when it is still dark. I would like to see the whole thing scrapped. There was a time when it had a purpose, my opinion, for what it isn't worth, those days are gone. Not to mention regardless of spring forward or fall back, it screws our system up for a few days.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is nice to have the sun still out at 7pm, but then we have to watch out for the kids waiting for the bus for school every morning when it is still dark. I would like to see the whole thing scrapped. There was a time when it had a purpose, my opinion, for what it isn't worth, those days are gone. Not to mention regardless of spring forward or fall back, it screws our system up for a few days.
Kids now have it soft. My brother and I had paper routes while in elementary school, deliver for an hour in the dark no matter what the weather, go home for breakfast, then off to school. Never even considered waking up our parents to drive us.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I, too, think those days are gone. We don't live in a 9-5 world any more. Actually, we never really did. I grew up in a mill town in PA; many people worked off shifts, e.g. 3-11 PM; 11PM-7AM, etc. But these days, with our 24/7 world, it doesn't really help much. That is one thing we didn't have when I was a kid, or really until I was in my 30s-24 hr grocery stores, etc. Even most gas stations closed for the night.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. My friend and I like to walk before work, b/c we know we won't do it any other time. On the days I work, we have to go at 6:45. Last week we just skipped those days, b/c it was just too dark, esp. when it was cloudy.
My usual is to get out late afternoon / early evening. Early morning sound like they'd be rather cold for part of the year, but refreshing in the summer.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
For at least half of a year [roughly when the days are at least 12 hours long] it still has a purpose. Definitely it's useful not to waste daylight on more pre-6:30 am sunrise light that could be in the evening.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For at least half of a year [roughly when the days are at least 12 hours long] it still has a purpose. Definitely it's useful not to waste daylight on more pre-6:30 am sunrise light that could be in the evening.
The original purpose of DST was to save energy. With people working 24/7, there's not a lot of energy being saved.

Daylight saving time ends: Does it save energy? - CSMonitor.com
Does Daylight Saving Time Save Energy? Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies