Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I really think you are extrapolating a lot here. ArmyChick didn't say that this woman didn't deserve government help. She simply commented on the story the woman gave to the press about her situation. For ArmyChick, $800 is an ample monthly food budget. I think for most of us on the thread, $800 is an ample monthly food budget. To say so is not showing hate toward anyone. To also point out that many women with infants or small children would love to have the baby's aunt and grandmother available to take care of the child while they worked is also not a statement of hate. This woman told her story to the press. Conceivably, she hoped to generate some sympathy for herself and her family. And I'm sure that some people were sympathetic. But not everyone. This woman isn't committing fraud. She's not misrepresenting herself to the government or to the public. Each of us contributes to the support that this woman receives. And insofar as each of us contributes, we do have a right to comment about how our contributions are being spent.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that government waste and misspending is rampant, and that there are other programs and departments where the waste and misspending is much more systematic than food stamps. But I don't think that that fact means that people can't comment about food stamps, or that the comments are illegitimate.
Well then ArmyChick shouldn't have responded to my post. She came with she armychick decides who truly needs help garbage.

We all contribute to all of our lifestyles. I get the homeowners tax break now, yet the same me who was making the same money and didn't get that tax break when I didn't own a home didn't feel like I had the right to tell people who were getting that benefit from our government how much their houses should cost or how big their houses should be, based on the fact that they were getting the purchase of their home subsidized by the government.

I don't feel like I can tell parents or college students who are getting loans or grants from the government what their major should be or where they should go to school.

In other words, this idea that because someone is being helped by our government AS ALL OF US ARE, that their lives should be judged based on some dumb standard of do they deserve the money or whether they have lived they lives in a manner that meets our approval is dumb thinking. And we only seem to want to subject poor people to this garbage dumb thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Do you have a comment relevant to the topic of the thread? Didn't think so.
Find a good therapist. Realize that your hatred of poor people is actually rooted in something else.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You haven't been reading the thread, obviously.

AND you don't know WTH you're talking about.
No, I rarely read many posts in a thread. I think I read the title of the original post and the ones who responded to me and that's it.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I thought there were three adults and one baby, with one baby on the way.

That would make it close to $9.00 per day, per person.

(babies drink milk; no need to spend money to feed them for at least 4 or 5 months).
In the CNN story, there are four adults, but only states about three of the adults; one is the mother of adults daughters (does not say if other three are but two are for sure) and suffers from a disease; one is a mom with a kid, one is pregnant, and one adult is not mentioed at all.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Nope I don't care what anyone says. Participation in this thread in which you trash the food stamp program is proof enough that you hate poor people.

So if they have a different opinion then you and even though no one has ever said "I HATE POOR PEOPLE" You call them names and act so superior to them You are a hypocrite. You believe that those on welfare are to stupid or to much of a idiot and can't be expected to do better for themselves and need the goverment to live on so they need to enable them to be helpless.

Honestly the welfare program should be designed to help them get off the system and help them with education, work programs, child care. I don't believe one bit that just giving them a check is helping them in anyway but just enables them.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
So, 90% of the people here are in essential agreement. They are discussing the importance of eliminating fraud, waste and abuse, and the importance of managing the benefits that are available.

What do the people on the far left do while this discussion is going on? Fling poo by calling everyone else bigoted against poor people, attack the motives of anyone who disagrees with the food stamp program, and basically smear others as bad people.

So, it's pretty much like any other topic: disagree with a wild-eyed liberal and get accused of bigotry, racism, and secretly liking Coldplay.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You are right I don't care what he claims he and his wife spends on food. It is irrelevant. Should food stamps be based on what some screen names claims to spend every month on food?

How does one have discussion based on such dumb nonsense?
Food stamps should be based on food costs.

People sharing their experience of food costs is not nonsense.

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Find a good therapist. Realize that your hatred of poor people is actually rooted in something else.
I don't hate poor people unless they think like you.

pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You're telling me... I make very little. Less than $15 an hour. I've been told I am better off quitting my job and getting on welfare but I don't want to raise my daughter that way. It is very stressful to live paycheck from paycheck and I don't sleep well at night but I am working toward something better for myself and for her and I know it is temporary. I know success will cross my path someday.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people can go to bed at night knowing they have contributed nothing to society but instead just took from it... Wanting nothing out of life but to live off their hardworking peers.

It is a conscious decision more often than not. How can any able-bodied person make the choice to be a leech? That is what boggles my mind. I do not understand it.

One of my co-workers is wheelchair bound and she has 2 jobs!

There is no excuse.

You have a great attitude and I wish there were more like you.

For 5 years I worked several jobs as a teenager and a young adult to make ends meet. One day my older neighbor who sat at home all day asked how much I made a year. After I told her, she let me know a way I could get help from the government, she told me I was working too hard. I told her thanks but no thanks. I didn't even think twice about it. I figured I had two arms, two legs and a brain..I could do it..NO excuses. Was it easy? No way but I made life work..and I accepted it. Things did get better over time and I'm so happy that I didn't get on welfare/foodstamps.

Sadly, many don't feel the same as we do..They feel entitled.

423 posts, read 414,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So much for the ideology that believes in individual free choice and liberty. I guess poor people don't qualify.
I believe in free choice...and in this case, the result of the choices they've made apparently are just that: free of charge.

When peoples choices begin to drain other peoples wallets, it's time for drastic measures.

If people like you disagree, then a list should be started and only the names of those individuals interested in supporting welfare cases such as those in OP can be added to the list....and then you can support them to your bleeding hearts content.

I'll give you liberal hypocrites about a month of being a money tree before your outlook rapidly changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies