Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Replace "black people" with "white people", then I'll answer.
I disdain reverse discrimination too, if it is what you mean. And I agree with you that white people nowadays seem to be treated whatever people want, just because they are the majority.

However, my question is really about the different treatment of the minority: Asian vs. Black/Latinos. Nobody dare offend the later in public, but the Chinese, who cares, what are they gonna do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
oh, because it is about a rival state, joking about genocide suddenly becomes OK on national television
Yes, speaking of genocide, how many Chinese died during the 25 year reign of Mao Tse-Tung? 5 million? 20 million? 40 million? Somewhere in that ballpark, but we'll truly never know how many people died during the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution as well as other purges.

And what do you see when you enter Tienanmen Square in the heart of the center of the Chinese capital? A massive portrait of the most venerated and dearest leader of the Chinese state, Chairman Mao.

Didn't Mao himself even make a joke to the Russians about the possibility of nuclear conflict, "If I have nuclear weapons, let 400 million Chinese die, 300 million will be left."

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yes, speaking of genocide, how many Chinese died during the 25 year reign of Mao Tse-Tung? 5 million? 20 million? 40 million? Somewhere in that ballpark, but we'll truly never know how many people died during the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution as well as other purges.

And what do you see when you enter Tienanmen Square in the heart of the center of the Chinese capital? A massive portrait of the most venerated and dearest leader of the Chinese state, Chairman Mao.

Didn't Mao himself even make a joke to the Russians about the possibility of nuclear conflict, "If I have nuclear weapons, let 400 million Chinese die, 300 million will be left."
I honestly don't know how that is relevant. Mao is a murder, does that make the 1.3b Chinese guilty of something?

Hitler killed millions of people. Does it make it right to joke about killing all Germans?

I am afraid you are not applying any sensible logic in your argument which driven by some eerie hatred, and will not reply to your posts on this.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
My opinion: Couldn't care less.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know how that is relevant. Mao is a murder, does that make the 1.3b Chinese guilty of something?

Hitler killed millions of people. Does it make it right to joke about killing all Germans?

I am afraid you are not applying any sensible logic in your argument which driven by some eerie hatred, and will not reply to your posts on this.
What was said on Kimmel was more about the inherrent cruelty and lack of tact of children rather than anyone seriously proposing vaporizing China. That's why it was funny, and why Kimmel remarked at the end that it was like Lord of the Flies after their unscripted commentary. It was sort of unintentional black humor.

But then again, some of us have a sense of humor for the absurd and aren't politically correct sob sisters...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Nobody answer this:

if the kids were saying "kill all the black people", will the show still be broadcasted?
Probably not. The government does not owe black people a trillion dollars so it wouldn't have made much sense for Kimmel to ask about blacks in this particular sentence. It wouldn't have been funny because it would make no sense so I doubt they would have broadcast that.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,032 times
Quote:
you think it is not important because it doesn't concern YOU, doesn't it?

Granted it is a joke but is it really about political correctness? When was the last time you saw on TV where anyone said anything about the entire black population?

I wouldn't mind it at all if the same joke could happen on any case on national television, not just one particular ethnicity.
Even if it did involve my race I wouldn't care because CLEARLY it was meant as a joke. Comedians make jokes and often it involves touchy subjects or making fun of certain people or races etc. Let them do it instead of muzzling them. That's what comedians have done for ages without many problems until in recent years when every little comment or joke from them and non-comedians can potentially offend people to the point of complaining over nothing.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
I used to like Jimmy Kimmel when he was on the FOX Football pre-game show. Ever since he's gotten his own late night talk show he's become really arrogant. All the success has gone to his head.

He was much funnier and much more likeable when he was a fat guy with no money.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
It seems like every day someone is apologizing or resigning for excersising their right to free speech/press

I guess there are a lot of people who have a lot of time on their hands to sit around all day and get offended these days.

This would also explain why there is such a controversy about food stamps being reduced by five percent....

Too many people with too much time on their hands....lol

The ironic part is, 90% of the people who read this will be offended

HAHAHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies