Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Many of them are simply underachievers who probably couldn't get a good job anyway, hence why they joined the military. I know a guy who joined the military several years ago just because his father had been in "Nam". The guy's a mess anyway. When he came back from his tour of duty, he got a job as a nurse and eventually got fired from the job. Who the hell would get fired from a nursing job? Only someone who's a mess.
LOL seriously?!

There are a lot of brilliant and educated soldiers and Marines, as well as lots of senseless idiots in both branches.
Do you HONESTLY believe your one guy friend represents the whole military or many people in the military? Citation requested for your bold statement, "Many of them are simply underachievers who probably couldn't get a good job anyway, hence why they joined the military."

1. It is your right not to support the troops. This is a free country.

2. Serving due to patriotism is not a requirement; everyone has their own reasons!

3. The military is not a welfare or job training program! It is up to each person to decide whether the MOS they sign up for meets their future goals. Those who displayed "aggressive behaviors" perhaps have been processed out a long time ago.

4. Nobody needs your recognition or respect. I believe most military men and women received that respect from those whom they served with. They don't need any civilians approval because not many civilians really know or understand or can relate to what they have been through.

5. There are no free benefits! Believe me, people in the military EARNED their title or rank.

There are not many homeless /crazy / dumb vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:44 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
It's true. Firefighters and police officers put their lives on the line nearly every day, but you never hear anybody say their work is heroic. It's always only the military members who are the "heroes". And really, what makes soldiers "heroes"??? Many of them are simply underachievers who probably couldn't get a good job anyway, hence why they joined the military. I know a guy who joined the military several years ago just because his father had been in "Nam". The guy's a mess anyway. When he came back from his tour of duty, he got a job as a nurse and eventually got fired from the job. Who the hell would get fired from a nursing job? Only someone who's a mess.
The military itself is not behind the branding campaign of the soldiers all being "heroes", it is corporate America in partnership with the U.S. Government. The military consists of some average, some exceptional Americans who are motivated to serve for a variety of reasons. Just being in the military surely does nothing to make someone a hero.

Thus whole rebranding campaign started after 9/11, for the most cynical and nefarious of reasons: to deflect any criticism of the governments war against Iraq in its drive to secure access to Iraqi crude. It was mainly directed at Democrats who might oppose the invasion (99% of Republicans were on board) and to question their patriotism. Then various entities jumped on the bandwagon, and FOX, of course, reinforced this belief before all their sporting events they televised, which they continue to this day.

The real justification for this lies in making the military sacrosanct, above reproach, and it works. Anyone questioning its actions is viewed as suspicious, and the red meat, wingnut crowd will often verbally attack and alienate these opinions. Most people don't wish to be alienated and attacked and remain silent, while politicians who speak out become easy targets for their opponents.

The military, however, just does its job. They also make real sacrifices worthy of our praise, but this blanket worship is all part of a larger agenda to sway, and even curtail, closer scrutiny of U.S. foreign policy and our wars of aggression in Iraq and Afghanistan, and to instill fear into those who would dare question what the majority of Americans believe: that the military is full of heroes, and how dare you question their sacrifices.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I can't separate them, because we have a volunteer army. Unless you enlisted before 2001, I have no respect for anyone's decision to join.
So you do, then, respect those who, like me, enlisted during Vietnam, right? You do respect the volunteers who served in the Continental Army and those who volunteered during the Civil War, on both sides, correct? One would suppose, then, that you also respect the tens of thousands who enlisted in WW I and WW II, not to leave out the Korean War. Curious!

I have the utmost respect for your right to have and express an opinion. I even swore an oath of service to protect that right from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and would have fought to the death to do so, even if I disagreed with the people whose freedom I was fighting for. You see, that's what soldiers do and are willing to do for their country and its people. That kind of dedication takes courage. In my experience it's usually those who lack it who are the most negative toward the troops themselves. Perhaps it's over-compensation for not being able to measure-up.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times
"Are they giving their lives for us, though? Or for special interests? Think about it."

Dumbest post I have EVER read on here!!!! I am in the Navy, and have been to Iraq and Afghan! Never ever ever met one person who was over in a combat zone for a special interest! Truly a ridiculous statement!!!!!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
In the 1960's?

I don't understand your question. Please explain.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Sounds like somebody else failed the ASVAB test.............

Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
trust me...never, do we do what we do, to get your 'standing ovation'

semper fi
Hell yeah.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Are they giving their lives for us, though? Or for special interests? Think about it.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Are they giving their lives for us, though? Or for special interests? Think about it.
Are you serious? There is nothing to think about. How many in the military do you know that go to war for special interests?? And what do you think these special interests are? The fact is they do what they are told to do. I don't think troops are over rated at all. I admire their courage and commitment. They put country first, before family. How many of us are willing to do that?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
When will people outgrow their hero worship?
I was in the army and I don't consider what I did to be some great sacrifice worthy of reverence. It was a job involving guns and other ordnance, basically. I took a certain amount of pride in it, but I've taken a certain amount of pride in every decent job I've had.
Many civilians die in their line of work. Many soldiers never even get injured.
I don't see people carrying on about firemen or the few good police officers that are still around.
How about honouring search and rescue teams? That would be a nice change.
No surprise here. Canada, where you hail from, is a nation of beer-swilling leftist cowards that spends lavishly on social programs made possible by relying on their southern neighbor for their national defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies