Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 04:10 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Lol...I'm sorry but I just find that funny.

Like, if I was Martin....how can you take a line like that serious?

Will Ferrell murders a family - YouTube

Even Martin tried to throw ice water on the situation by saying "don't believe everything you read in the news"...Maybe the dude stormed out because he felt he paid his dues enough already and just got frustrated. Whatever the case may be....there were examples of hazing where players were physically injured and the game moves on....this is being dramatized....I'm sorry.
Its funny in the movie... but not sure of its funny if you have to hear it day, after day, after day...

I played football... hell, I took part in hazing and I was hazed as well but we never called houses and made threats. IMO Incognito kept the hazing going too long. There comes a point where you have to ask yourself what the hell is wrong with Incognito that he needed to keep this going.

Honestly, if it were me.. I would have stomped a nice mudhole in him but some guys arent built like that and as long as Martin is doing his job I cant see how it would continue this long. Playing football is different than most jobs but I cant imagine coming to work and dealing with HS sh#t every day.

Inviting someone to sit down at lunch and then getting up... after I gave you 15k for Vegas? These dudes are lucky he didnt pop the trunk on them.

As far as Martin saying he dont believe everything... pretty sure he is talking about coming across like a wimp who didnt stick up for himself. Who knows... he may have challenged Incognito to fight. Bullies have a way of avoiding physical confrontation and using the pack to do his dirty work.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 11-05-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
You know what made this a bigger story than it needed to be? Martin not handling it like a man. That doesnt mean he had to necessarily confront him, but it wouldve been a good idea. Its not like he is some defenseless twerp.

Paying money to other players. All he had to do was say NO. NO, what are you going to do about it? And then go to your agent/coach from there. No one forced him to write a check.

This stuff didnt just occur as far as we know. Martin had opportunity to deal with it himself by stepping up, or going to his agent or staff.

As one player said today, you are a grown man. You arent a freshman, you arent a child. You're a man. Man up. How long did he allow this to go on? Why sit there as a man and take it and take it?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Nobody said anything about striking vs.tackling. You are taking the argument out of context.

The point is that football is a violent and aggressive sport and lots of dirty and nasty things happen in the game ESPECIALLY in the trenches
The key statement here is "in the game". Once in the locker room and in public a teammate should expect their fellow teammates to behave like adults and not spout bigotry and act less mature than many grade schoolers. The "nasty" stuff should be inflicted on your opponent during the game...not your teammate away from the game. Does that help clarify the issue for you, Hot_Handz?

I am also surprised that some coaches look the other way, because it only hurts their team eventually and they are the person that ends up getting the pink slip. Not very smart.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
"You know what made this a bigger story than it needed to be? Martin not handling it like a man."

I'm guessing that someone calling someone a "half N*****" probably made the story bigger than it needed to be. Incognito saying publicly that he'd done nothing wrong when there were texts and voicemails like that out there made it bigger than it needed to be.

Not for Long applies when you do stupid things in the NFL. You don't get suspended like that for no reason.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Extorting money from very junior players to pay for recreation, that is really pathetic.....bet that kind of **** goes on all the time.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The chess, debate and synchronized swim team don't count.
LOL I never was on those teams, although admittedly my football career was short and unspectacular.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Well well well. Look what we have here:

Quote:
The Richie Incognito hazing controversy took a dramatic twist Tuesday night when a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., newspaper reported Dolphins coaches had ordered the offensive lineman to “toughen up” teammate Jonathan Martin.
According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, sources said Incognito was acting at the direction of unspecified members of the coaching staff when he left the now-infamous voice mail last April containing a racial epithet and vulgar threats.
Also I said earlier that he was probably perceived as weak because of his background and that he had limited exposure to lower class players. This explains why the Dolphins players, including the Black ones are siding with Incognito. I've always stated class is a far bigger divide than race when you scrape the surface.

Coaches ordered Incognito to ‘toughen up’ Martin | New York Post

Quote:
Meanwhile, Martin’s high school coach told the Palm Beach Post he wouldn’t be surprised if Martin was bullied because of his wealthy upbringing in suburban Los Angeles and Stanford pedigree.
“Bullies usually go after people like him,” Harvard-Westlake School coach Vic Eumont said. “With his background, he’s a perfect target. Before he wasn’t around Nebraska, LSU kind of guys. He’s always been around Stanford, Duke, Rice kind of players.”
“In locker rooms full of Nebraska, LSU, Southern Cal players, Miami players, they’ll look at this as a weakness. If he makes it through all this, and if he was encouraged to come back, he’d come back with a vengeance.”

Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
See....it's a rite of passage. Weed out the weak. Period.

People who never competed in a sport, especially a gritty one like football, just wouldn't understand....and don't ever expect them to. It's a game of war. Many of Richies black teammates understand this...look no further than the testimony from Mike Wallace and Cameron Wake.

Mike Wallace said, and I quote,

Quote:
“I love Richie, man,” receiver Mike Wallace said. “I personally think he’s a great guy.”
And now Richie has to fall on the sword because professional ball clubs are held prisoner by the p*ssies of our PC society.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
See....it's a rite of passage. Weed out the weak. Period.

People who never competed in a sport, especially a gritty one like football, just wouldn't understand....and don't ever expect them to. It's a game of war. Many of Richies black teammates understand this...look no further than the testimony from Mike Wallace and Cameron Wake.

Mike Wallace said, and I quote,

And now Richie has to fall on the sword because professional ball clubs are held prisoner by the p*ssies of our PC society.
You fake macho guys think you're the only ones who understand sports. Hilarious.

I find that people who brag about their toughness and complain about "PC society" and mock those who aren't macho are the ones who are the real p*ssies. They can't handle any society that includes people not exactly like them. That's why they lash out and bully others. It's the only way they can make themselves feel better.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I listen to local sports talk radio here in Denver every day, and I agree with what Alfred Williams was saying yesterday. Al (a college football hall of famer; 10 year NFLer with the 49ers, Bengals, and Broncos; multiple Super Bowl winner; NFL Pro Bowler) was saying that this goes way beyond acceptable NFL hazing and that in all his years around football he's never seen anything like this. He believes that in addition to Incognito being thrown out of the league, the entire Miami coaching staff should be immediately fired for what seems to be their instigating and encouraging it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies