U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,275,429 times

Advertisements

In general terms,do you think the agencies and departments of the federal government perform well and are run smoothly?

Or is there a lot of wasted money, bureaucratic red tape and ineptitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,238,323 times
I think that is is run to perpetuate itself and to increase its own power.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 AM

Well using that criteria the fedgov. is VERY good...

Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,449,639 times
All federal gov't programs besides the military should be cut drastically, or ended entirely.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM

But but but....who will pay for my life???

Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,449,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But but but....who will pay for my life???
LOL! Life sure is tough in the world's greatest country, ain't it?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,663,064 times
In representative forms of government, the government tends to reflect what constitutes its base, the people. Who would place an inept government into office or let one remain but an inept population?

Although I happen to think the largest part of its ineptitude stems from the fact that our federal government is bloated, top heavy and inefficient. I look to the world around me and whether it is a biological system, a mechanical system, or mathematical system, whatever...efficiency is usually more prevalent in simple things than complex ones.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,629,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
In general terms,do you think the agencies and departments of the federal government perform well and are run smoothly?

Governments are inefficient and wasteful all across the world. I think that the U.S. federal government runs smoothly, compared to other countries. Often, you have a choice between inefficient red tape or efficient corruption. A lot of the silly rules and hoops that federal employees jump through are security and integrity measures.

I think leadership is a big problem in government. As a leader in a government organization, you are often in a lose - lose situation. If you do a great job, nobody notices; if you do a bad job, you get fired. Because of this, there is rarely an incentive to take a risk or make a change, which is why government is so slow to change. Just my $0.02.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM

11,945 posts, read 17,456,769 times
Quote:
I do not think even proponents of "good government" could honestly deny that.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,916,022 times
Government is fine, and the only reasonable way, to fight a war---or build a long-distance interstate freeway--to regulate foreign affairs---or to oversee interstate commerce.
Government is AWFUL, and not a good choice at all, when it comes to providing social services, education, and "legislating morality", (such as all sort of 'social engineering', etc). In these cases it's impossible to control the massive waste, duplication of efforts, and the bloated "overkill" of any government program. Most of this stuff could probably be better done by closely-supervised private-industry contractors, overseen by government 'watchdogs', but with their own incentive to keep costs down...

An example would be the "private" corrections industry. Totally unthinkable just a few years ago, "Corrections" contractors, who run small or large jails for an agreed-upon yearly cost, are now a growing industry---and apparently doing well. In some respects, it's not a great deal different from running a hospital. Costs per inmate are WAY down, yet complaints about mistreatment don't seem any worse than before.....at least that's my understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies