Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Just think how ridiculous this is.

100+ passengers all shooting at the person who they think is the hijacker while the rest of them are still trying to get their guns out from the overhead locker or under the seat in front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How terribly relevent
Was it not you who JUST posted this: I've always wondered what veterans from other countries think about the rights of americans lol

What is this ridiculous fascination with guns? Why ever would we need to bring guns on planes? Why must we feel the need to carry guns everywhere we go? Are you all that paranoid? Insecure? What is it? There is someone on here who answers their door with their gun in their hands. If that's not overly hysterical, I don't know what is. It's pathetic is what it is. If you're that scared of the boogeyman, maybe you need to go live in the middle of nowhere & surround yourself with a moat & fence. No, no guns on planes. No.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It doesn't seem that the gun laws are working any better than the drug laws.
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

Gun crime has been going down considerable over the years....what's making it work?

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Was it not you who JUST posted this: I've always wondered what veterans from other countries think about the rights of americans lol

What is this ridiculous fascination with guns? Why ever would we need to bring guns on planes? Why must we feel the need to carry guns everywhere we go? Are you all that paranoid? Insecure? What is it? There is someone on here who answers their door with their gun in their hands. If that's not overly hysterical, I don't know what is. It's pathetic is what it is. If you're that scared of the boogeyman, maybe you need to go live in the middle of nowhere & surround yourself with a moat & fence. No, no guns on planes. No.
Do you have smoke detectors in your house? Does anyone call you paranoid for having them? The odds of you becoming the victim of a crime are much higher than the odds of your home catching fire. Why shouldn't a law abiding citizen be able to carry a gun for self defense everywhere they go? You could become a victim anytime. It's called reality.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
(Trained) Pilots, yes. Air Marshals, certainly. Passengers? No.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I don't get it.

Why would you arm passengers. I mean then we would return to the era of hijackers. It isn't like you can return fire on an aircraft without risking the hull

I'm missing something.
read rick romas response below. he presents a proper cogent argument on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think they should be handing out complimentary guns to those passagners who forgot to bring one.
finn, you are coming around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Do you know how stupid this post is? You've clearly seen way too many movies. If a bullet were to pierce the outer shell of a pressurized plane it would create a small hole and the system would compensate for it. It wouldn't even be noticeable. The skin on a plane isn't 100% airtight to begin with. There are millions of tiny leaks everywhere which the system compensates for. If you were to blow out a window the plane would depressurize in the course of a few seconds causing the air to be forced out of the cabin which would cause debris to be pushed out. Ever notice how small the windows are on an airliner? You're not going to get sucked out and if you have a set belt on you're fine. B-29 bombers in WWII and Korea were pressurized. Don't you figure they got shot at every now and then?
However, I think it should be mandatory for pilots to be armed to defend the plane but not the passengers. They should also be highly trained and proficient. Most civilians don't possess the skills to fire a gun effectively in those close quarters without striking an innocent person. I know you could also say the same for subways and buses but at least on a plane all the passengers are screened so the chance of a civilian needing a gun on an aircraft is extremely remote. You can't say the same for a publicly accessible place.
well said my friend, well said.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Do you know how stupid this post is? You've clearly seen way too many movies. If a bullet were to pierce the outer shell of a pressurized plane it would create a small hole and the system would compensate for it. It wouldn't even be noticeable. The skin on a plane isn't 100% airtight to begin with. There are millions of tiny leaks everywhere which the system compensates for. If you were to blow out a window the plane would depressurize in the course of a few seconds causing the air to be forced out of the cabin which would cause debris to be pushed out. Ever notice how small the windows are on an airliner? You're not going to get sucked out and if you have a set belt on you're fine. B-29 bombers in WWII and Korea were pressurized. Don't you figure they got shot at every now and then?
However, I think it should be mandatory for pilots to be armed to defend the plane but not the passengers. They should also be highly trained and proficient. Most civilians don't possess the skills to fire a gun effectively in those close quarters without striking an innocent person. I know you could also say the same for subways and buses but at least on a plane all the passengers are screened so the chance of a civilian needing a gun on an aircraft is extremely remote. You can't say the same for a publicly accessible place.
I never said anything against having an armed officer or pilot. I think it would be stupid to allow passengers take guns onto planes and it would be even more stupid for one of those passengers to shoot a gun on a plane.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Pressurized cabins don't respond well to bullets

Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Pressurized cabins don't respond well to bullets
they dont respond all that badly either. a bullet hole is not going to bring down a 400,000+lb airliner despite what the movies show. heck do you remember the airliner that was flying into hawaii about twenty years ago? then one where a large section of the roof came off while in flight at 30,000ft? one stewardess was sucked out of the plane when that happened, but the plane landed safely in hawaii, and all aboard survived the ordeal except the one person that was sucked out, i kind of doubt that she survived the sudden stop at the end of her fall.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I never said anything against having an armed officer or pilot. I think it would be stupid to allow passengers take guns onto planes and it would be even more stupid for one of those passengers to shoot a gun on a plane.
You did say that firing a gun in a pressurized plane is an issue. Good deflection attempt though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies