Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ah so you're only falsely degrading certain groups of people in the state, not everyone in TN?
brentwoodgirl mentioned nashville, nashville is blue and went big for obama.

other posters were talking about rural tennessee and how horrible it is, those are lock step red republican that vote for romney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

TN is a beautiful state and has some of the most creative people in the country. But continue to wallow in your ignorance. It keeps people like you out of Nashville, and we're growing like crazy already.
Tennessee is beautiful. Be glad that people don't want to move there. Take a quick look at Florida if you want to see what happens when too many move in for the wrong reasons. Old Florida is gone. Replaced by people who moved in and immediately started griping and saying.. "well, back in X we used to do it this way." Well.. if it was so darn good back there... why did you move here and ruin it for the rest of us!" So now.. instead of moving ALL the way back home, they are becoming "half-backs". And their starting to ruin North Georgia, North Carolina, and Eastern Tennessee too....

Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
Quote:
Most of rural TN is quite beautiful also. The worst parts of TN are parts of urban Memphis that vote almost exclusively Democratic. Willie Herenton (Dem. mayor of Memphis for more than 25 years) was the worst thing that ever happened to Memphis.

Also, trying to separate Nashville from TN is absurd. Nashville is the largest metro in the state.
well, you have somebody from rural tn in this thread saying its a wasteland. you can separate nashville from tennessee. nashville is a progressive liberal city. tennessee is a conservative regressive state. nashville is nearly 60-40 dem.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was thinking about this issue as I read through threads on individual state forums. Many times a blue stater is thinking of relocating to a red state, but it's almost never work related. Do you think people need to go to the heavy hitting, economically viable blue states to make a career and money (think CA, NY, NJ, New England, etc) and then retire to less expensive red states (TN, SC, FL, etc)? People often move to the DC area, NYC, SF, etc, for jobs, but you almost never here of people relocating to states like TN or KY for a job.
This is basically what my parents did. Born and raised in Queens, moved out to Long Island a few years after getting married. Lived on LI for almost 30 years (as they raised my sister and I). Dad worked in Manhattan, my mom primarily on Long Island (though she worked in Manhattan before I was born), and after they retired moved down to S.C (suburban Charlotte)

Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
brentwoodgirl mentioned nashville, nashville is blue and went big for obama.

other posters were talking about rural tennessee and how horrible it is, those are lock step red republican that vote for romney.
Middle Tennessee as a whole votes Republican, My county is very conservative and is the wealthiest county in TN, and one of the top 20 wealthiest counties in the country.

Detroit is reliably blue, as well as a host of other cities that are miserable failures.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Lot of ignorant comments on this thread. I live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country, and it's in Tennessee.

No one moves to TN to work? You should all meet my neighbors, all transplants from CA, MI, OH, PA, Washington DC. etc who moved here to be executives for companies like Nissan, Mars Petcare, Vanderbilt, HCA, etc. We are the only original Southerners on our street. At the street Halloween party last week all the transplants were talking about how much they love it here and how they can't imagine moving back to their old states.

It's not just the wealthy that benefit. Nashville was recently ranked one of the best cities in the country for middle class job growth:
Nashville near the top for middle-class jobs - Nashville Business Journal

TN is a beautiful state and has some of the most creative people in the country. But continue to wallow in your ignorance. It keeps people like you out of Nashville, and we're growing like crazy already.
You're acting as if Williamson County is representative of the state's overall economic climate. Median household income in Williamson County is almost double that of the state average. Sure, Williamson County is prospering, but much of the rest of the state is suffering economically, and who wants to move a suffering area? I'm sure every state has an outlier to the overall trend.

Southern and red states lag far behind the blue states in almost any positive metric. TN, on average, doesn't have the wealth or quality of jobs that deep blue MD does. SC residents are not, on average, as educated as Minnesotans.

Yes, the state is beautiful and the weather is generally pretty nice, but that doesn't mean much if unemployment and other social ills run rampant.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
There is so much poverty in Florida.
Yet there is none in NY, CA, DC, etc. My God people are clueless.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
I moved from Tampa to Pittsburgh a couple years ago. I grew up here. All the blue cities in the north are being firehosed with printed money by O.

It won' t last much longer.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That's my plan. I'll be moving to a small town a couple counties away in a couple years.It's best to be a good distance from cities.
I live in a blue state. I moved from a high tax area (closer to the city) to a lower tax area. What a difference. People are trying to get out of the high tax area. It is common for the elderly to lose their homes to high taxes.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You're acting as if Williamson County is representative of the state's overall economic climate. Median household income in Williamson County is almost double that of the state average. Sure, Williamson County is prospering, but much of the rest of the state is suffering economically, and who wants to move a suffering area? I'm sure every state has an outlier to the overall trend.

Southern and red states lag far behind the blue states in almost any positive metric. TN, on average, doesn't have the wealth or quality of jobs that deep blue MD does. SC residents are not, on average, as educated as Minnesotans.

Yes, the state is beautiful and the weather is generally pretty nice, but that doesn't mean much if unemployment and other social ills run rampant.
Maryland and Virginia are wealthier due to their proximity to DC. Most of the wealthiest counties in the nation are the ones surround DC. Politicians of all parties go to DC and spend their time figuring out how to make themselves wealthier.

Tennessee is doing well right now on a variety of measures. Many of the metrics that bring TN down are Democratic voters in Memphis. Memphis has some of the worst schools in the country, thanks to the Democrats reign there.

Quote:
According to Fitch Ratings, one of the country's top bond rating agencies, Tennessee has the lowest debt ratio of any state in the country. In 2012 Barron's magazine ranked Tennessee as the third-best-run state. Tennessee is a right-to-work state, has no personal income tax and enjoys the second-lowest cost of living in the United States."
Tennessee No. 7 among best states for doing business - Nashville Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies