Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,656,770 times

Advertisements

The largest majority black city in America, The City of Detroit, also overwhelmingly voted for Barak Obama.......I guess this throws a wrench in the "black will only elect blacks" mantra that came to birth after Obama was elected. The truth is that Detroit could have elected a white mayor 20 years ago. Maryann Mahaffey, a white women, could have become Detroit Mayor in the 90's if she wanted.

Blacks have always voted for white candidates.....because that is the only choice they had through most of this countries history.....when they were allowed to vote. I do not know where the idea came from that blacks only support blacks. Blacks do not want to be denied opportunities and they support "Firsts" for blacks, but the idea that blacks are averse to electing whites is pure BS.

That having said, I have mixed views on the election in Detroit. Detroit has hit bottom and is actually on the rebound and bankruptcy creates the rubber for the rebound after hitting bottom. The reinvestment in the city has been underway for the last 8 years or more. Black leadership, hence, will be associated with Decline while white leadership will be associated with the rebound of the city.....which perpetuates an old stereotype.

Duggan: 'Now the real work begins' | The Detroit News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,918,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The largest majority black city in America, The City of Detroit, also overwhelmingly voted for Barak Obama.......I guess this throws a wrench in the "black will only elect blacks" mantra that came to birth after Obama was elected. The truth is that Detroit could have elected a white mayor 20 years ago. Maryann Mahaffey, a white women, could have become Detroit Mayor in the 90's if she wanted.

Blacks have always voted for white candidates.....because that is the only choice they had through most of this countries history.....when they were allowed to vote. I do not know where the idea came from that blacks only support blacks. Blacks do not want to be denied opportunities and they support "Firsts" for blacks, but the idea that blacks are averse to electing whites is pure BS.

That having said, I have mixed views on the election in Detroit. Detroit has hit bottom and is actually on the rebound and bankruptcy creates the rubber for the rebound after hitting bottom. The reinvestment in the city has been underway for the last 8 years or more. Black leadership, hence, will be associated with Decline while white leadership will be associated with the rebound of the city.....which perpetuates an old stereotype.

Only for those that see the world in "black" and "white" and those that worry of the first group.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,147,948 times
Quote:
The largest majority black city in America, The City of Detroit, also overwhelmingly voted for Barak Obama.......I guess this throws a wrench in the "black will only elect blacks" mantra that came to birth after Obama was elected.
Gary IN voted for a white mayor a while back. Dont know if he was re-elected, but it did happen.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Quote:

That has never been true.

The overwhelming majority of black voters have all voted for non black candidates.

The overwhelming majority of latino voters have all voted for non latino candidates.

The overwhelming majority of Asian voters have all voted for non Asian candidates.

Heck the overwhelming majority of women voters have all voted for male candidates.

You know the groups who have not overwhelmingly supported candidates who are demographically unlike themselves?

White people, and white men. White Americans overwhelming mostly support/vote for white candidates, and white men overwhelming vote for other white men.

Every other group of American voters doesn't do that.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,656,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That has never been true.

The overwhelming majority of black voters have all voted for non black candidates.

The overwhelming majority of latino voters have all voted for non latino candidates.

The overwhelming majority of Asian voters have all voted for non Asian candidates.

Heck the overwhelming majority of women voters have all voted for male candidates.

You know the groups who have not overwhelmingly supported candidates who are demographically unlike themselves?

White people, and white men. White Americans overwhelming mostly support/vote for white candidates, and white men overwhelming vote for other white men.

Every other group of American voters doesn't do that.
YEP! And when the non-whites do pick someone that looks like them......white males PROJECT and say they only vote for these people because they are of the same race.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,449,475 times
It could also be that they voted for the best candidate that was up for election without regard for skin color.

That for a large part most people look past skin color to who can do the job in the best possible way.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,994,110 times
Was a black person running?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Quote:
YEP! And when the non-whites do pick someone that looks like them......white males PROJECT and say they only vote for these people because they are of the same race.
Exactly, it is projection. A lot of white American men if we were really going to by who votes for whom based on race or gender, white American men win hands down for overwhelmingly voting for other white men.

And you are correct white American men are the most vocal at accusing non white people of only supporting such and such candidate because they are the same race.

It is all part of the bizarro world of American racial politics.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,763,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Was a black person running?
Yes,

The white man beat the black man.

I figured that this would happen in Detroit.

Regardless of what people think of black voters, black people are not some sort of "follow the black candidate" sort of monolithic voters. Over the course of history black people have voted more for white candidates than black.

But Detroit is looking for a change. The new mayor has a business background and has a record of reform in the hospital system in Detroit, which was failing but made a resurgence. Voters, I'm sure, hope he can do the same for Detroit itself. I wish them the best and am always pulling for Detroit. Regardless of the stereotypes of Detroiters, when I lived there, I never had problems with anyone and most people were down to earth, family focused, and had regular jobs. I have family still there as well so I am always pulling for the D.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,507,412 times
What dream land are you guys in??? The dude they elected is a Democrat....white or not, blacks have tunnel vision with that!! There is no other party for them!

Secondly, the most recent mayor Kwame, was such a criminal, that even a black democrat would not have won this time.

And believe me.........we will never have another president who looks like Obama either.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies