Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Adults weren't raising families on $1.60/hour though.
You have to look at the complete picture here.

The situation was not the same in 1968.
A HS diploma got you a white collar job.

Mostly kids and housewives worked p/t min wage jobs.

You can't take an item from 1968 and apply it today.
It doesn't work like that.

When I got my first job at McDonald's the only adults were the 2 managers.
Same with the supermarket.
It was all kids after school and weekends and women during the day.

These days you'd be hard pressed to find any KIDS working these jobs.
And now they are all adults working those jobs, yet you want them to be paid "kid" prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,422,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And now they are all adults working those jobs, yet you want them to be paid "kid" prices.
Wouldn't "wages" be more appropriate than "prices"? Anyway, none of us have ever said we WANT people to make those wages.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Wouldn't "wages" be more appropriate than "prices"? Anyway, none of us have ever said we WANT people to make those wages.
No, you just want to wash your hands of it and pretend like it isn't anyone's responsibility to provide a federal minimum wage to help those working Americans at the bottom of the pay scale.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,877,867 times
Quote:
No, you just want to wash your hands of it and pretend like it isn't anyone's responsibility to provide a federal minimum wage to help those working Americans at the bottom of the pay scale.
You're looking at it in a vacuum. Why are these people at the bottom of the pay scale at age 35?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,418,650 times
Quote:
you do understand the CONSEQUENCE of continuing to raise the min wage

everytime you raise the min wage...costs go up

raising the min wage will raise the prices of nearly everything, and cost jobs

Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,654,793 times
This is simple common sense lol

Last edited by aedubber; 12-31-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 10:39 AM

892 posts, read 1,493,402 times
Quote:
Why isn't it those people's responsibility to make better life choices for themselves so that they're not in a position to begin with that involves trying to raise a family on minimum wage?

I was reading over another article on this ( SeaTac’s minimum wage workers might not get their raise after all ), and found this gem:

Quote:
"Everybody who works here has responsibilities. Kids, and everything," says Ronnie Castillo, a ramp worker for Delta General Services who's got two 16-year-old twins, a 13 year old and a 6-year-old son, with another baby on the way. "That's why people almost live in the airport, don't sleep…"

"I don't even care for the 15. I'd take like a dollar, two dollars more," moans Ian Yocum, 21, who's also got two young kids. Taking a smoking break on the other side of the baggage claim area from Aukusitino, the guys dream aloud about buying better gear for working outside during the winter, or just paying bills without worrying if their paychecks will stretch to the next one, when they become fatter come January 1. And then, of course, there's the psychological effect.

"If they gave us $15, we would give more, push ourselves more," Castillo says. "We've been doing it for nine dollars an hour just to survive."
Why the heck is that guy making MORE children when he already has 4 kids that he apparently is struggling to support? Why are these guys blowing a ton of coin on smoking if they don't make enough to live on?

THAT'S the real problem here - lack of personal responsibility and accountability. It's always someone else's fault that these people are losers.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
These are entry level jobs not requiring any skill or experience.
Sorry they don't have what it takes to move beyond that.
But that's their problem, not mine.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,177,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Actually I believe there were two tracks - $1.15 and $1.60. State minimum wages were lower, yes, but federal law trumps state law. Some states today have a minimum wage below $7.25 per hour, yet the federal requirement applies in the vast majority of cases.
I know, but that is why I translated the $1.15/hr to today's wage of $7.70/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Adults weren't raising families on $1.60/hour though.
You have to look at the complete picture here.

The situation was not the same in 1968.
A HS diploma got you a white collar job.

Mostly kids and housewives worked p/t min wage jobs.

You can't take an item from 1968 and apply it today.
It doesn't work like that.

When I got my first job at McDonald's the only adults were the 2 managers.
Same with the supermarket.
It was all kids after school and weekends and women during the day.

These days you'd be hard pressed to find any KIDS working these jobs.
So lets figure out why people are lazy enough to not educate themselves to the point where they deserve a better paying job instead of artificially inflating their wage for the same work. Does any of the fault lie in the arms of the worker for not proving he/she is worth more money? I think it does. You obviously don't feel that way.

A person is only worth what they can prove they deserve.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,422,102 times
Quote:
We have a federal minimum wage already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies