Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times

Advertisements

The people that work at the Taco Bell I go to are super fast and good at what they do, yet still make minimum wage and don't get to collect tips, nor does anyone really tip them because it is fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,951,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
SeaTac $15 minimum wage winning in early vote count | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

SeaTac is a small suburb south of Seattle where Seattle's main airport is found. Yesterday voters approved a ballot measure enacting a $15 per hour minimum wage. Washington state already has the highest minimum wage in the U.S. (9.19/hr).

I listened to an interview of a sandwich shop owner at the airport. He said that his labor costs were going to increase by about $90,000 per year, and he has no idea where that money will come from. He expects that the Port of Seattle, which runs the airport and regulates his pricing, will have to agree to some price hikes. Right now he is required by the Port to charge prices no more than other similar businesses in the region.

I expect that some of the fast food places in SeaTac will just go away. The ones that remain will hire and keep only the most experienced and most productive workers. Teenagers, recent immigrants, people just out of prison, etc. need not apply. In effect they just tore a bunch of rungs off of the bottom of the career ladder in SeaTac, WA.
That explains why there are so few food selections in Seatac, none of them great.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good for Sea-Tac. I am sure we will see small increases in prices at the airport, but at least the employees will be making a better living wage than they were before.
There will be some who lose their jobs. Generally, the ones having the hardest time getting a job will be the first to go.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,733,531 times
BS. The food at Seatac is fine. Anthony's has a great breakfast and nice fresh fish/seafood year round. Vino Volo offers great small plates and an excellent wine selection. The to go place next to it is great. Ivars has a good low end fish and chips. Nothing like some fried halibut for my flight. They even have lots of low end food like Wendy's for the older fixed income types.

Yet another post where you insist on posting about something you know nothing about.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Why? I guess if you are gonna run to the idiotic extreme, I could combat it by saying we should end all minimum wages and allow business owners to own employees like property.
Why not, you think employees are property, to be controlled.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
So low skill workers should be excited to work for a nickel an hour.
You were just criticizing someone for being extreme.

Hypocrite.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM

45,111 posts, read 26,284,895 times
What isnt seen are the businesses and jobs that will never be created because of higher start up costs associated with the min. wage some beaurecrats pulled out of their behinds

Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ah ha! You are unwittingly pointing out why minimum wage is good for everyone. It has more affect on people higher up the ladder than it does at the bottom. It is not about a living wage for slugs. Economists recognize that minimum wages translate higher and thus strengthen the middle and upper middle class wages.
"Economists" "recognize" no such thing, since it isn't true at all.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
BS. The food at Seatac is fine. Anthony's has a great breakfast and nice fresh fish/seafood year round. Vino Volo offers great small plates and an excellent wine selection. The to go place next to it is great. Ivars has a good low end fish and chips. Nothing like some fried halibut for my flight. They even have lots of low end food like Wendy's for the older fixed income types.

Yet another post where you insist on posting about something you know nothing about.
You have obviously not been someplace with good food, then.

BTW, I'm vegetarian, so my complaint has to do with the fact that Seatac has a very, very short supply of anything besides burgers and steak joints and similar. My comments have to do with the price regulation, and therefore, the limitation on variety and quality. The last time I went through, the asian food I bought was not what you'd call "great", it was merely "ok". I would have gladly paid $3 more to get something I really enjoyed, since I'd been waiting for 6 hours to eat.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What isnt seen are the businesses and jobs that will never be created because of higher start up costs associated with the min. wage some beaurecrats pulled out of their behinds
This is why this country has high unemployment. It's what WASN'T created that has come to hurt us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies