Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times

Advertisements

Just one more reason to keep your kids away from public education....FOXNews.com - Seattle Schools' Thanksgiving 'Myths' Stir Controversy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,854 times
Thumbs down Political Correctness rears its butt-ugly head again

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20071121/cartoon20071121.gif (broken link)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
This Caprice Hollins person must be some sort of liberal. They're always the ones going around busting up myths and replacing them with stuff like facts...

Old 11-21-2007, 03:43 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,854 times
That's a hoot!

Liberals react to facts the way Superman reacts to kryptonite

It's all about feeeeeeelings...

Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
This Caprice Hollins person must be some sort of liberal. They're always the ones going around busting up myths and replacing them with stuff like facts...

Caprice Hollins sounds like a sensationalist media ho. I cringe whenever "deconstructing so and so" is presented as a serious intellectual exercise. We've created an academic class of people who sit around and deconstruct things, all the while thinking they're terribly clever.

I hope he feels better. Since he wrote the article to "be sensitive to minorities in Seattle schools," I hope all those minority children sure feel better about themselves now! We'll put aside the fact that Northwestern natives have about as much history with the Pilgrims as they do Ghengis Khan. Way to suck the air out of a happy holiday, Hollins!

I mean, honestly, I envision people like him literally choking on their white middle class European guilt sometimes. It must be an incredibly frustrating way to live.

The kicker: "But one Seattle-area tribe says Thanksgiving is not somber on the reservation but a time to see friends and family, as it is for other Americans.

Native Americans in the Northwest celebrate the holiday with turkey and salmon, said Daryl Williams of the Tulalip Tribes. Before the period of bitter and violent relationships between natives and their culturally European counterparts, they worked together to survive, he said.

"The spirit of Thanksgiving, of people working together to help each other, is the spirit I think that needs to grow in this country, because this country has gotten very divisive," he said."

Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,830 times
What about those of us that have Native American blood? I'm 1/16th Chickasaw.
That's not much - but I think it matters.

The history of this country has been ugly at times, but do we really need to teach 1st and 2nd graders about that violence? The website that has the 11 Myths sources children's books, and I have yet to see a children's book that preaches what 'heathens' the Native Americans were.

Oyate Web Page

Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
I DEFINITELY think of Thanksgiving as a Time of Mourning, right up until noon. After that, it becomes a Time of Afternoon...then later, a Time of Evening.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, they're proponents of revisionist history.
In some cases, the revisions are factual. In other cases, they're simply meant to rewrite painful facts to conform history to their "equality" based, "evil America/White People/Establishment" ridiculous view of the world.

The goal of liberal dogma is to round everything off at the edges so no one can possibly be "offended" at anything, facts, truth and reality be damned. I'm totally convinced that 8 years of Bush was partially a knee-jerk reaction to the previous decade of insane political correctness we endured in this country from the late 80's onward.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,795 times
Just like Fox News to "gloss over" the fact and footnote rich points articulated and go right for the last one (which even so has qualifiers)...

For many Indian people, “Thanksgiving” is a time of mourning, of remembering how a gift of generosity was rewarded by theft of land and seed corn, extermination of many from disease and gun, and near total destruction of many more from forced assimilation. As currently celebrated in this country, “Thanksgiving” is a bitter reminder of 500 years of betrayal returned for friendship.

Gee, did we take land and try and assimilate Indians?

The right-wing can't even muster a half-hearted Fact-counterpoint website for this like they do for Michael Moore.

Sure, go ahead and whine about feeeeeeeelings. At least the Liberals put up a little cheese with the whine. Republicans are cheese-less and all folks like Medved have is their whine.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:40 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
The tribes my ancestors belonged too (I'm about 1/4 Native, just split up between 3 tribes) were all decimated by white settlers in New England. So yeah, Thanksgiving is always a time of mourning and ever since elementary school, I would always get to lead a class discussion about why Thanksgiving is not a happy time. If it ruffles feathers, oh well. After all, do you never tell your kids that Santa Claus isn't real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies