Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,222,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
From the gun industry.

Everyone acts as if the NRA was always this big, monolithic thing that controls the government and fuels the gun mania. But it was never that kind of organization until the 1970s -- hell, it used to be an organization that promoted gun control laws -- and the sale of the NRA to Big Gun, and the consequent maniacal promotion of guns as toys, is almost entirely the achievement of one man, Harlon B. Carter, who drove out the previous management and created the organization as we know it today.
Sheesh. I mean I respect what they do in trying to protect the 2nd Amendment with all their heart and passion, but it isn't ironclad. Just like the first amendment isn't ironclad.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,252,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Sheesh. I mean I respect what they do in trying to protect the 2nd Amendment with all their heart and passion, but it isn't ironclad. Just like the first amendment isn't ironclad.
Are you saying you don't believe my brief history? Feel free to Google it.

They're not remotely interested in the Constitution. If the Second were about anything other than a product that someone can make money off of, there wouldn't be a peep about it. People who believe in the NRA don't even know anything about it, and the fact that it's changed so radically in just 40 years shows that people are simply being manipulated into doing someone's bidding. And it ain't the Founders' bidding, I can assure you.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,222,131 times
Quote:
I do believe you. I was just being diplomatic towards the NRA Is all.

Quote:
They're not remotely interested in the Constitution. If the Second were about anything other than a product that someone can make money off of, there wouldn't be a peep about it. People who believe in the NRA don't even know anything about it, and the fact that it's changed so radically in just 40 years shows that people are simply being manipulated into doing someone's bidding. And it ain't the Founders' bidding, I can assure you.
Ah, okay. Fair enough.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I do believe you. I was just being diplomatic towards the NRA Is all.

Ah, okay. Fair enough.
You're much more polite than I am. And gun lovers, who worship at the shrine, will be here soon enough to say that in much more, er, creative ways.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,866,354 times
Quote:
You'd do well to research the subject yourself. "jmqueen" isn't exactly the beacon of non partiality.Just look at her whiny immature rants about "gun nuts" in nearly all of her posts.

The reason the NRA became.... rather, HAD to become so political is because it never used to be this way. This country has always been awash in guns. Guns were the norm and no one was trying to attack our right to own them. That all changed when people decided to take the easy way out and blame the gun rather than find the real underlying problem, and now the NRA has to dedicate a large portion of resources to fighting for the 2A.

The NRA used to be a strictly a safety and training organization, that promoted civilian marksmenship. It is STILL the foremost authority in the world for training Law Enforcement, Military, and civilian marksmenship and firearm use.

Ask yourself this, what exactly are Liberal and or progressive organizations doing to promote gun safety { other than trying to ban guns ] ? I think you'll find that they are doing nothing at all. The NRA on the other hand has many programs and safety courses available for citizens, Eddie Eagle being one, which teaches children to "stop" "don't touch" and" "get an adult" if they encounter a gun, among numerous other things.

Like I said, research it yourself. Don't take anyone's word for it because everyone has a side and an agenda to push....

Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You'd do well to research the subject yourself. "jmqueen" isn't exactly the beacon of non partiality.Just look at her whiny immature rants about "gun nuts" in nearly all of her posts.

The reason the NRA became.... rather, HAD to become so political is because it never used to be this way. This country has always been awash in guns. Guns were the norm and no one was trying to attack our right to own them. That all changed when people decided to take the easy way out and blame the gun rather than find the real underlying problem, and now the NRA has to dedicate a large portion of resources to fighting for the 2A.

The NRA used to be a strictly a safety and training organization, that promoted civilian marksmenship. It is STILL the foremost authority in the world for training Law Enforcement, Military, and civilian marksmenship and firearm use.

Ask yourself this, what exactly are Liberal and or progressive organizations doing to promote gun safety { other than trying to ban guns ] ? I think you'll find that they are doing nothing at all. The NRA on the other hand has many programs and safety courses available for citizens, Eddie Eagle being one, which teaches children to "stop" "don't touch" and" "get an adult" if they encounter a gun, among numerous other things.

Like I said, research it yourself. Don't take anyone's word for it because everyone has a side and an agenda to push....

LOL. That's a good spin. They had to become shills for Big Gun. "Someone" made them do it.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,866,354 times
Quote:
LOL. That's a good spin. They had to become shills for Big Gun. "Someone" made them do it.
If you knew the slightest bit of info on what you're talking about you'd know the NRA doesn't shill for "big gun".... The NSSF, or National Shooting Sports Foundation is gun manufacturers lobbying organization. Again, you'd have to know what you're talking about to know that.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,855,529 times
Quote:

So you must be a member?

How else would you know so much about the NRA?

Seems they still do a lot of firearm education.

Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Eddie Eagle GunSafe

http://refuse to be a Victim.nra.org/

Education and Training|Education and Training

NRA|NRA Programs

NRA Whittington Center - Home

NRA Law Enforcement Division|Law Enforcement

Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Not saying they don't. I just saw an ad in Field & Stream for the NRA's safety programs, paid for by the NRA.

That doesn't mean they're not shills for Big Gun.

It's funny how cons on this board are absolutely, 100% certain that all politicians are in the pockets of big business and only want to screw the country six ways to Sunday, but the NRA is somehow saintly and golden.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,855,529 times
Quote:
Not saying they don't. I just saw an ad in Field & Stream for the NRA's safety programs, paid for by the NRA.

That doesn't mean they're not shills for Big Gun.

It's funny how cons on this board are absolutely, 100% certain that all politicians are in the pockets of big business and only want to screw the country six ways to Sunday, but the NRA is somehow saintly and golden.
So there should not be any organizations that lobby for what their members believe in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies