Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A tea party supporter who tears into Obama. That's about as shocking as Catholics observing Lent.
Rather than attacking the person who wrote the letter, how about refuting something that she wrote? After all, by attacking the source you are implying that the accusations are unfounded... so let's see you prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Rather than attacking the person who wrote the letter, how about refuting something that she wrote? After all, by attacking the source you are implying that the accusations are unfounded... so let's see you prove it.
What she says is most interesting. Even more interesting is this is EXACTLY what progressives have been saying for years, only to be told by cons that it's too bad, so sad, but healthcare isn't a right, and if you can't afford it, clearly you don't deserve it because you should have gotten a better job, kept your legs together, or planned better.

How many hundreds of posts saying exactly that are there here on C-D --- hundreds, in fact, just posted on the day the exchanges opened a month ago.

So ... now you cons suddenly care? Really? I believe you ... thousands wouldn't.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
What she says is most interesting. Even more interesting is this is EXACTLY what progressives have been saying for years, only to be told by cons that it's too bad, so sad, but healthcare isn't a right, and if you can't afford it, clearly you don't deserve it because you should have gotten a better job, kept your legs together, or planned better.

How many hundreds of posts saying exactly that are there here on C-D --- hundreds, in fact, just posted on the day the exchanges opened a month ago.

So ... now you cons suddenly care? Really? I believe you ... thousands wouldn't.
First, I'm not a conservative.
Second, it wasn't conservatives who decided to yank affordable health insurance plans out from under people and replace those plans with new ones which many can't afford.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
We have some people planning on getting a divorce so they can afford the increase costs under ObamaCare. Puts a new twist on the "marriage penalty" doesn't it?

Obamacare Restrictions Lead Brooklyn Couple To Consider Divorce « CBS New York

“After Obamacare has rolled out, we realized that we would save thousands of dollars if we got divorced,” Aronowitz said. The issue for Aronowitz and Cassara is that together as family of only two, they make more than the $62,000 level to qualify for subsidies under the Affordable Care Act. But if they lived together unmarried, they would qualify for the subsidies and could literally save hundreds of dollars a month on their health care.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:11 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Default Loyaly, and useful idiots

And then we have people being screwed over by ObamaCare, knowing that they are, and even though it's going to cost them $10,000 more a year.

They are even thinking about trying to lower their family income to qualify for a taxpayer subsidy... and they are still Obama pom-pom waivers.

San Francisco architect Lee Hammack says he and his wife, JoEllen Brothers, are “cradle Democrats.” They have donated to the liberal group Organizing for America and worked the phone banks a year ago for President Obama’s re-election. The couple — Lee, 60, and JoEllen, 59 — have been paying $550 a month for their health coverage — a plan that offers solid coverage, not one of the skimpy plans Obama has criticized. But recently, Kaiser informed them the plan would be canceled at the end of the year because it did not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. The couple would need to find another one. The cost would be around double what they pay now, but the benefits would be worse.

I’ve been skeptical about media stories featuring those who claimed they would be worse off because their insurance policies were being canceled on account of the ACA.

So I tried to find flaws in what Hammack told me. I couldn’t find any.

Loyal Obama Supporters, Canceled by Obamacare - ProPublica

You can't make this stuff up, Obama'crats are hopeless slaves to government.

“We’re not changing our views because of this situation, but it hurt to hear Obama saying, just the other day, that if our plan has been dropped it’s because it wasn’t any good, and our costs would go up only slightly,” he said. “We’re gratified that the press is on the case, but frustrated that the stewards of the ACA don’t seem to have heard.”

Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You do realize health insurance companies can and do collude? They do not have to abide by anti-trust, they are exempt. So, I would not put anything past that racket.
Source? Especially coming from you.....a source is definitely needed.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
First, I'm not a conservative.
Second, it wasn't conservatives who decided to yank affordable health insurance plans out from under people and replace those plans with new ones which many can't afford.
The idea that you could put in provisions that remove lifetime maximums, don't let you deny coverage for pre-existing conditions etc etc etc.....and the price won't go up?

I mean seriously.

What do these rocket scientists think would happen if the govt. passed a law banning deductibles on car insurance and increasing mandatory limits to 500k?

OMG prices went up because the coverage and benefits got better! That's impossible!

Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
TPM is a respected source and not a conspiracy site like infowars.

An the topic, insurance companies are required to change their policies to conform to the minimum standards of the ACA. What companies have been slyly doing is offering alternative plans that are more expensive and not telling the policy holder that they might do better on the exchanges. They also don't mention subsidies that might be available.

As DC at the Ridge said (http://www.city-data.com/forum/32129696-post34.html):
I've had to hear your fellow lwnjs tell me that one of the great things about Obamacare is the consumer protections in it like the 80% loss ratio trigger.

So now they are going to be able to get away with gouging people?

Which is it because the sides of your mouths have to be getting chafed.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Rather than attacking the person who wrote the letter, how about refuting something that she wrote?
Saying a person supports the tea party (Which she does. I checked her out on FB like a good little poster) is attacking the person?

Tell us more. If I call Mitt Romney a Republican am I attacking him? Let's see.... if I call General Schwarzkopf a solder am I attacking him? Or is the tea party so paranoid and feeling so dang sorry for themselves for dissolving into a puddle of goo as we watch that mentioning someone is a supporter it's now considered an attack? Yeah, lol. Must be the puddle of goo thing.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Saying a person supports the tea party (Which she does. I checked her out on FB like a good little poster) is attacking the person?

Tell us more. If I call Mitt Romney a Republican am I attacking him? Let's see.... if I call General Schwarzkopf a solder am I attacking him? Or is the tea party so paranoid and feeling so dang sorry for themselves for dissolving into a puddle of goo as we watch that mentioning someone is a supporter it's now considered an attack? Yeah, lol. Must be the puddle of goo thing.
Implying that someone's opinion isn't valid simply because their beliefs don't match lock-step with yours is an attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies