U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM

52 posts, read 92,226 times

Advertisements

Give me supporting evidence for the following claims:
  • Signs that say "Gun-Free Zone" deter shooters from going on a spree in that zone. Similarly, limiting magazines to 10 rounds minimizes the damage a shooter can do.
  • Teachers with teaching certificates produce better results.
  • Paying for and encouraging high schoolers to go to college is a good investment. The nation as a whole has benefitted from making the college degree the new high school degree.
  • Deficits don't matter, as Paul Krugman says. We can borrow money endlessly.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,659,281 times
There is support for one of those claims, and even then it's conditional.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 3,051,171 times
Liberals NEVER have support to their statements, they just make them and then forget about them. You're just suppose to believe what they say because "They feel it in their heart" and "they're concerned about fairness", and you "have to have compassion" an so forth. They never see the unintended consequences of their actions. Nor will they apologize for them.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:59 AM

45,831 posts, read 34,049,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
I googled " deficits don't matter". All the hits attribute this quote to Dick Cheney.

" Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due".

Krugman actually said " Right now, deficits donít matter" and then went on to explain why:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-wonkish/?_r=0

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM

19,717 posts, read 11,564,050 times
Quote:
...[*]Deficits don't matter, as Paul Krugman says. We can borrow money endlessly. [/list]
Paul Krugman NEVER said that. You were thinking of Cheney.
Quote:
there’s a school of thought — the modern monetary theory people — who say that deficits never matter, as long as you have your own currency.

I wish I could agree with that view — and it’s not a fight I especially want, since the clear and present policy danger is from the deficit peacocks of the right. But for the record, it’s just not right.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM

9,472 posts, read 5,904,902 times
Quote:
Give me supporting evidence for the following claims:
  • Signs that say "Gun-Free Zone" deter shooters from going on a spree in that zone. Similarly, limiting magazines to 10 rounds minimizes the damage a shooter can do.
  • Paying for and encouraging high schoolers to go to college is a good investment. The nation as a whole has benefitted from making the college degree the new high school degree.
They never "say" those things directly. Instead, the arguments they make imply those things as part of the premises they operate from.

For instance, you'll find many who think that a master's degree in education makes one a better teacher at any level below post-graduate. I'd say it was pretty much completely irrelevant. There's certainly no proof it does.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM

45,831 posts, read 34,049,024 times
Quote:
I googled this and all the hits came from conservative blogs that promote homeschooling.

The common theme seems to be that those who advocate for home schooling use inner city stats to prove the hypothesis that certified teachers do not produce better results.

They seem to ignore that some of the best scores in the nation are from " highly selective" magnate schools in inner cities that are taught by people with teaching certificates. Maybe, just maybe, the student's time, effort and overall family priority and emphasis on education matters more so than anything else.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/list]I googled this and all the hits came from conservative blogs that promote homeschooling.

The common theme seems to be that those who advocate for home schooling use inner city stats to prove the hypothesis that certified teachers do not produce better results.

They seem to ignore that some of the best scores in the nation are from " highly selective" magnate schools in inner cities that are taught by people with teaching certificates. Maybe, just maybe, the student's time, effort and overall family priority and emphasis on education matters more so than anything else.
Of course it does.

But that won't stop you from blaming tax cuts for our lousy education these days.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Maybe the military should go with 10 round mags, if larger magazines have no advantage.
Whom do you wish to disadvantage? The guy defending himself? As in, the law abiding?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,919,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Liberals NEVER have support to their statements,
Lie. I have accused several denialists of not knowing what they're talking about and provided numerous references proving such.

Quote:
they just make them and then forget about them.
Doubtful. I remember proving denialists wrong on several occasions. I remember laughing at the way being wrong makes them whine and cry about Al Gore.

Quote:
You're just suppose to believe what they say because "They feel it in their heart" and "they're concerned about fairness", and you "have to have compassion" an so forth.
Yeah, that's garbage too. It's right-wingers who think their feelings should matter to others. Ask Michael Schiavo. Ask the whiny little teabaggers who think they shouldn't have to pay taxes because wahhhhhhhhdontwanna! Ask the freedom hating forced-birth advocates who want the state to be their mommies and force women to bear children against their will to make right wingers feel better.

Quote:
They never see the unintended consequences of their actions.
According to whom? The right-wing clowns who cry about how liberals are destroying your country (not sure how the whining of the right will lead to national destruction, but then again it's not my claim)? Why believe right-wingers?

Quote:
Nor will they apologize for them.
Ah! Finally you said something that makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies