Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Salvation Army says gays need to be put to death

You know, I used to be a big fan of the Salvation Army, but this crosses a line. I mean I understand their right to not support the LGBT community and that's perfectly fine! What is not acceptable, however, is the fact that they call for the death of said community just because it says to do so in the bible.

Sorry Salvation Army, you get no more money from me.
The scripture reference does not say that they are to be "put to death." It says, (v. 32) "Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, the not only continue to do these very things, but approve of those who practice them." (quoted from the NIV)

The "death" that is referred to here is eternal death that those who do not believe receive after this life on earth. It is not an instruction for man to put such individuals to death. Homosexuality is sin. Sin (all sin) is punishable by eternal death. Christ died on the cross for our sins, so that we may have eternal life. But you must accept Him, and believe.

If anyone is interpreting that scripture to mean that the sin of homosexuality (or other sexual sin) is to be punished by being put to death by man, they are wrong, and they should be corrected.

But, I question the veracity of the linked article.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This is old. They also didn't say that, but they do have a right to their opinion either way.
They may have a right to their opinion, but they should not be misquoting scripture. They should be corrected.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Good. I stopped shopping @ the Salivating Army (some call it starvation army) many years ago when I'd discovered their anti gay agenda.

I spit in their collection buckets @ xmas time.

They use the poor.

right, sure you do. from your mom's basement ?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
The spokesperson who was doing the interview said it, so yes they did; however, the top execs of the SA didn't say, so you're half right.

Old or not, it's still disgusting that thinking like this exists.
I've got news for you; there is a lot of wrong thinking that exists. You can't change that. People are not perfect, and they never will be. Get used to it. Jews have been putting up with it for centuries.

I don't like what people say about Christians either. There are a lot of disgusting things said about us (including that we are like Taliban). It's wrong thinking. I can't change it, so I don't let it run my life.

Get over it.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
The salvation army is anti gay, I have known this for years. I no longer give them any money.
Nor do I. In churches I have led, when someone brings up partnering with the SA for events, I explain their anti-gay positions and how I am not in favour of doing anything to help them. We still do the same amount of charity type work we would have done with them, but with a more open, equitable group.

They are also known for their stance in Toronto of no food/bed if you don't accept Jesus. When did doing good works be dependent on proclaiming your love for God? Shouldn't they be done just because we are nice people and others need a hand up?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
How about you change this thread to ONE person in the global Salvation Army said that well over a year ago and the organization very clearly and publicly apologized for what the idiot had said. No need to stop donating to the Salvation Army. Doing a little research and using some common sense before posting though would be a great idea in this case.

Salvation Army offers a grovelling apology to gays over major
But the truth doesn't have as much drama as the OP versions of events!!!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 AM

No one is trying to hijack the thread. They are trying to respond to it honestly.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
So don't give them money if it bothers you that much. People are going to have different opinions and views on things.
That would be my advice. But I'm sure not all Salvation Army bell ringers (and most are recruited from local churches, and are not themselves members of the Salvation Army) share that opinion. I would guess that a vast majority of them understand that scripture and would not be misinterpreting it.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Good. I stopped shopping @ the Salivating Army (some call it starvation army) many years ago when I'd discovered their anti gay agenda. I spit in their collection buckets @ xmas time.
Well, aren't you the pleasant one? Did you think that was the right thing to do? How does that make you any better than they are?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
No one is questioning whether or not they help the poor. Even I can see that (it's not hard). It's the spokesperson's statement that drew ire. He gave the SA a black eye with what he's said.
How do you know the article you linked to is truthful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies