Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,657,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Wait until the Obamacare panel gets your supermarket store card record of puchases and appends it to your health care records. Don't say no one warned you.

Think I'm going to vote Libertarian...
Please do. It will siphon votes from the Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,814,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think artificial trans fat is the key work in that article.
Yep. Hydrogenating plant oils provides a longer shelf life, but tends to kill people off. The idea that people suddenly have to start using alternatives without trans-fats is fallacious - products with artificial trans fat are the alternative.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
So what are they going to make Crisco out of? Lard? Welcome to your grandma's pantry.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.
If you educated yourself for three-fifths of a second, you might know that there are safe, effective substitutes for hydrogenated oils. One of them is high/low oleic oil (acid). Oreo cookies have used these for several years. There are even non-hydrogenated varieties of Crisco, and have been since 2004! (I don't know anyone who uses Crisco, but whatever.) But like most people on this site, you'd rather just get mad and claim everything is a government conspiracy.

Part of the problem is that the FDA originally let food companies get away with murder. If there's less than half a gram (500 mg) of trans fat, they are allowed to say "0g" on the label. You can find all sorts of food that lists "partially hydrogenated" oils in the ingredients, but still say 0g of trans fat on the nutrition label. That was a ridiculous concession.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM

537 posts, read 738,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Right?

My grandma lived to 90 on a diet of basically salt and nitrates.
Grandma also made better pies with her lard crusts than the "modern" housewives do.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,947,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
If you educated yourself for three-fifths of a second, you might know that there are safe, effective substitutes for hydrogenated oils. One of them is high/low oleic oil (acid). Oreo cookies have used these for several years. There are even non-hydrogenated varieties of Crisco, and have been since 2004! (I don't know anyone who uses Crisco, but whatever.) But like most people on this site, you'd rather just get mad and claim everything is a government conspiracy.

Part of the problem is that the FDA originally let food companies get away with murder. If there's less than half a gram (500 mg) of trans fat, they are allowed to say "0g" on the label. You can find all sorts of food that lists "partially hydrogenated" oils in the ingredients, but still say 0g of trans fat on the nutrition label. That was a ridiculous concession.
Why? having less than a gram means there simply isn't enough to matter...

Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,422,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The .gov feels that it needs to tell the populace what they can or can't eat.

FDA to ban artery-clogging trans fats - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

The worse part was the whole thing about how when people fall into meat processing mills, they had to actually throw out the meat. Thats the worst. Can't believe the govt. thinks it is okay to tell us we can't eat accidentally ground up people

46,861 posts, read 25,814,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
And, if I want to eat something that has trans-fats in it, it's my RIGHT to be stupid. If this was anything other than manipulating gullible rubes like yourself, they would have banned sugar, tobacco, pasta, alcohol, red meat, coffee, and the list goes on and on.
Tons of choices available to an individual are circumscribed when it comes to mass produced food. You have every right to dust your cornflakes with a little arsenic every morning, if that tickles your fancy. But General Mills can't add arsenic to cornflakes sold to the general public.

As an aside, does anyone actually like hydrogenated plant oils? As in, they search them out for their flavor or whatnot? Will there be a thriving underground market with speak-easys selling pre-ban versions of fatty foods?

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
I also save my bacon fat and use that when I want "flavoring".

Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,422,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Think I'm going to vote Libertarian...
HEH

There isn't such an option

Old 11-07-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why? having less than a gram means there simply isn't enough to matter...
Do I need to point out the flaw in your logic? Think about it for half a second. Maybe the answer will come to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies