Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Both of my parents served and retired from the Air Force. Both did mostly admin work, especially towards the end of their service, but trust me, their documents were the difference between being well armed for combat or having enough Airmen to execute a mission. I think they deserve to be appreciated for their service as much as an infantry solider since their function was very critical.
it really depends on how business-as-usual their work is. admin work in the kuwaiti desert base is way different then admin/supplychain work in hawaii. if you directly supply the combat/support people then thats in a whole different level. again this is the reason veteran folks hide behind the whole 'military family' - details of their work might not be worthy of praise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I have a BIL that walks and talks 'ex-military', 'proud airforce' and like camo, big SUVs and guns and all-american stuff, he's extremely fat now and he's taking so much credit for everything US military especially on Veteran's day when he has his kids have a special Dad time him in the park with some vets/flags and all. Only his immediate family knows he was never deployed or even left his base, he was some desktop support guy in the base so probably never issued a gun. Is he really a veteran we celebrate and thank on Veteran's day??
Why does his inflated level of patriotism offend you?

I served in the regular Army for 3 years active, and 3 in the reserves. The gulf war was going on. I volunteered to go to war, but my brothers had already been deployed and I lost due to the remaining son rule. I don't feel I deserve the same recognition as those who actually fought. I don't take advantage of any veteran perks that are offered and get a little offended when people convince me that I still earned it.

I greatly appreciate the patriotism for our country on any level. Sure I would probably look at your BIL like he was a nut, but I appreciate that his heart is in the right place

Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter
Both of my parents served and retired from the Air Force. Both did mostly admin work, especially towards the end of their service, but trust me, their documents were the difference between being well armed for combat or having enough Airmen to execute a mission. I think they deserve to be appreciated for their service as much as an infantry solider since their function was very critical.
So with this logic we should all thank a tree too, for if not for the paper made from it's sacrifice, the pencil pushers would not have been able to arm the combatants...

Let's thank the loggers too! And the oil companies for the fuel and the military industrial complex for the weapons...

You guys are stretching things a bit far!

As a non-combat serviceman do I think the combatants deserve a bit more respect? You bet I DO!

For that matter...the farther up the difficulty/sacrifice ladder you go the more respect they deserve!

Even amongst service members a special type of respect is reserved for the elite people/units! ...as they should.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
Why does his inflated level of patriotism offend you?

I served in the regular Army for 3 years active, and 3 in the reserves. The gulf war was going on. I volunteered to go to war, but my brothers had already been deployed and I lost due to the remaining son rule. I don't feel I deserve the same recognition as those who actually fought. I don't take advantage of any veteran perks that are offered and get a little offended when people convince me that I still earned it.

I greatly appreciate the patriotism for our country on any level. Sure I would probably look at your BIL like he was a nut, but I appreciate that his heart is in the right place
you probably define 'patriotism' to include the honor and holidays your entitled to

Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 13,313 times
Default Hi

Thanks for sharing this info. Even I was having the same question in my mind from many days. Here, I really got different views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies