Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:58 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Our biggest debt is student loan. I shudder to think of it.
Well mortgage debt is 12 times higher than student loan debt and credit card debt isn't far behind.

The national debt is of course bigger than all 3 of those combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Dream.

When I was 10 years old I would never imagined that I was going to travel to 85 - 90 countries around the world, meet celebrated and outstanding authors, artists, musicians, scholars, and political leaders, or work in an Ivy-League University. I never would have supposed that I would be living in and restoring a beautiful 3 story 6 bedroom 120 year old Victorian house. I never thought I would live to see the day when two people who love each other could get legally married even if they were both of the same sex.

It's a dream come true.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Dream. I've travelled the world, live in a nice house, and have a 6 figure income. Recently got a promotion it looks like (I find out next week), my bills are higher then I would like. Have been discussing that once the last kid moved out we will downsize considerably. My debt is under a months income. Wifes debt is about 2 months of my income....so Im unhappy about debt levels. Taxes are painful, but reasonable. If they doubled it wouldn't really phase me much if I saw a good reason or benefit to it. Getting the country out of debt for example, or providing a guaranteed minimum income for everyone.

All that said...I'm probably at the exact worst place according to many posters here. I make enough that the taxes apparently are "crushing". Really? 35% is not exactly going to crush me....and its 35% of my income AFTER a certain amount. Please. I get NO subsidies for anything really. No welfare, no subsidized housing, no food stamps, nada. I dont make enough money to really make money from my money. My wifes business is apparently being crushed by...regulations and taxes?"......hmm.....I DO wish there was less paperwork. But I assure you regulations and taxes are NOT why its running at a loss. LOL. thats all us. (Hoping that improves-if we decide its a failure though it wont be from taxes or regulations).

But yeah life is good at the moment. But I know this...im one head injury, or disability away from being in the bottom 20% again. Im not getting younger, and someday...its going to be me not making 6 figures a year.

Most of the people I know ARENT living the dream. they're making minimum wage, and have a lifetime of toil with very little to show for it. Its not right.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:50 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Dream.

But my biggest expense is taxes.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Overall life has been pretty good for me.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Dream.

When I was 10 years old I would never imagined that I was going to travel to 85 - 90 countries around the world, meet celebrated and outstanding authors, artists, musicians, scholars, and political leaders, or work in an Ivy-League University. I never would have supposed that I would be living in and restoring a beautiful 3 story 6 bedroom 120 year old Victorian house. I never thought I would live to see the day when two people who love each other could get legally married even if they were both of the same sex.

It's a dream come true.
your faux life sounds incredibly boring. you dream about fruits signing state contracts? jesus christ.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
your faux life sounds incredibly boring. you dream about fruits signing state contracts? jesus christ.
I read his post twice and it said nothing about apples, oranges, grapes, or any other fruit signing contracts...which I didn't know my apples in the fridge could write. Learn something new on city data every day.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
The biggest expenses for the average American is interest and taxes. Interest, mortgage, credit card, auto... The taxes you pay goes to the government where it's used without much input from you. Interest and taxes puts your money into someone else's pocket.

If you are middle income typically bills and interest eats up your income. If you are higher income bills and taxes eat a large chunk of your income.

A nightmare that won't end unless something changes. Everyone can minimize their bills and interest paid on those bills. If they find a better job, get a raise or work 2 jobs to improve their life...as they climb the income ladder they are forced to pay higher taxes. This can be changed too by not voting for politicians that think the answer is increasing taxes.

Do you want to continue living the nightmare? If not something's got to change. People have to change too.
I did. But it wasn't in response to the current economy. It was because I decided that I could go further if I had less things.

I don't have any car payments, credit card bills - my only bill is my mortgage. I minimized my life to the max. I rarely run the AC in the summer and I don't have a lot of furniture. I only have one pair of work shoes and I wear the same clothes to work every week, i.e. the red shirt I wore last Monday is the same shirt I'll wear this Monday. I only have one jacket and I bought it in 2002. I don't have a watch or other jewelry, I don't have a land line, I don't watch TV, and I don't subscribe to any magazines or newspapers.

My only real indulgence is travel. And even then, if possible - Motel6

[the simple life]

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 PM

383 posts, read 641,248 times
My husband makes 6 figures. I don't work and we are an empty nest. 1700SQ foot home pool and jacuzzi. We live the dream but we want to get ahead. He's going to go to Afghanistan for 90 days to triple his pay. That money will all be invested. I'd like to see him retire early, but he's a workaholic, so we will just have see. We are in our late 40's. Oh and the house isn't paid off and my car has a year left on it's loan. No CC debt.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM

32,062 posts, read 15,040,845 times
I live no dream or nightmare. I just live my life with all the ups and downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies