Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You obviously don't know many Korean or Vietnam veterans if you think that all of the people who served in those conflicts did so against their will.

If we didn't accomplish our objectives, that has more to do with political parameters than the effectiveness of our men and women in uniform.

The paper pushers and bean counters ran those wars, not the boots on the ground.
What are you even talking about?
My dad and uncle were both in Nam. My dad was drafted and doesn't talk about it much , but he did try to talk me out of joining the service. My uncle was on a river boat and has no problem talking about how much he regrets taking part in a pointless war just like myself.

So are you trying to justify the Vietnam war? We lost big time. It doesn't matter why we lost because it was all BS in the first place. It's almost as if you think that I'm blaming the soldiers for these stupid wars. Did you even serve? Aren't you supposed to be kissing my butt for protecting your freedom

Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
To all Veterans:

Thank you for your service and for keeping us safe. Thank you for taking the oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
John Quincy Adams feared that a strong military would force the United States to "go abroad seeking monsters to destroy", and racking up huge debt and deficits in the process.

He was forewarning us against the Reagans and Bushes in today's GOP.
Is there a link to read the full quote?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Is there a link to read the full quote?
Speech to the U.S. House of Representatives on Foreign Policy (July 4, 1821)

Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM

70 posts, read 64,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Thankfully, Obama ended Bush's Iraq fiasco, despite the non-stop whining by Republicans and teabaggers.

He ended it when it was politically expedient to do so and after thousands more Americans died there on his watch. This after he promised he'd end it on day one of his first term. Then there's the drone strikes and the attempt to involve us in Syria. If you want to criticize Bush over Iraq and Afghanistan go ahead but please don't claim that Obama is any better.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
What are you even talking about?
My dad and uncle were both in Nam. My dad was drafted and doesn't talk about it much , but he did try to talk me out of joining the service. My uncle was on a river boat and has no problem talking about how much he regrets taking part in a pointless war just like myself.
Harrier's uncle served in Vietnam and Harrier's father served during the Vietnam War.

In fact, Harrier only exists because the Vietnam War took place - think wartime romances.

Both are proud of their service.

Both you and Harrier are citing anecdotal evidence - and the fact is that your position that our respective relatives service was meaningless is pure bunk.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon5 View Post
He ended it when it was politically expedient to do so and after thousands more Americans died there on his watch. This after he promised he'd end it on day one of his first term. Then there's the drone strikes and the attempt to involve us in Syria. If you want to criticize Bush over Iraq and Afghanistan go ahead but please don't claim that Obama is any better.
The Iraq War ended on Bush's timeline. Also, the Iraq War ended on Bush's timeline. Did you know that the Iraq War ended on Bush's timeline?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Be prepared for Memphis1979 to deny that he is a left winger.
I am not. Proven multiple times. Blindly following a military industrial complex doesn't make one conservative. Makes them stupid.

The military does not provide freedom. Thinking a veteran for them makes no sense.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I am not. Proven multiple times.
You need to work harder on modifying others perception if you truly aren't a left winger.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Vietnam was a war of choice. Same could be argued for Korea, but perhaps less so. At least that one was relatively brief.
To be fair, Vietnam was never a war. Congress never declared it as a war, so it's more like the Vietnam Conflict than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies