Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
You who hate the 1% , would you like to be them, or would you deny the request to be one of them?
I'll take it in a heartbeat.
There's lots of wealthy people that all or a vast majority of people love.

You might be surprised to find out that some of those in the 1% believe we're heading in the wrong direction as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Well seeing that there's an entire world out there with different systems (some better) when it comes to the issue of income distribution, it would only make sense.

Maybe the issue is too complex for some, but others of us see exactly what's going on.
Do you, though? European countries have regressive taxes and more equal incomes. You all claim to want more equal incomes, but refuse to accept the tax liability that actually promotes that greater equality.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
You who hate the 1% , would you like to be them, or would you deny the request to be one of them?
I'll take it in a heartbeat.
I wouldn't say I hate the 1%, but I don't admire them. I have no desire to be one of them. I have no desire for endless sums of money. I merely want to make enough to enjoy life and retire at a reasonable time, while offering my family everything they need. The idea of making millions of dollars per year is of no interest to me. And If I did somehow fall into it, the vast majority of it would go back out to community support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That was then, this is now. How are the poor and middle class doing now that so many have been conditioned to receiving artificial means of support?
I'm middle class. I don't receive any support. I don't vote based on receiving support. I actually don't know of any of my friends who are on support, and 90% of them are liberal middle class. In fact, the ones who **** and moan the most, and more surprisingly, the ones who have had the most trouble with employment recently, are the conservative friends.

And I think the number of people who prefer to stay on support rather than work for an actual living is pretty small. I'm sure you think it's all of them.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
A lot of this has been posted many, many times. How are you not aware of voter demographics? And it's not just Obama. Democrats in general get the poverty vote.

2012 election:

The largest difference in D vs. R votes in either favor is in the no/low-income group's votes for a Democrat.

Historically, look at party identification by income level in the chart at the bottom here. Low-income identify as Democrats by an over 2 to 1 margin:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Given that, why would the Dems want to shrink their voter base by lifting people out of poverty? Of course, they wouldn't. Strategically, that would be a mistake that would cost them significant amounts of political power.
That is one way you could look at it. Here is another way. D and Rs don't amount to much more than manipulation and theater distraction. The govt like any other corporation focuses on increasing market share and services to increase revenue.

The election process is controlled at every level, however the biggest nail was with HAVA. Same people reading everyone's email are manipulating those machines. D and R is convenient cover and distraction for whatever is planned next.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
That was then, this is now. How are the poor and middle class doing now that so many have been conditioned to receiving artificial means of support?
There is a difference between knowing what you are writing about and sitting in front of your keyboard and typing what you think is so.

Most government support is temporary and Medicaid largely goes to the elderly and children. Many of those elderly are also enrolled in Medicare, and worked all their lives.

In previous generations, we used to tax the wealthy far more and provide more generous benefits to the middle class -- such as higher subsidies for college education. I would contend that we did much better then than we do now, with the rich having lower taxes.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's exactly what Democratic policies did in the 1930s and 1940s and the middle class grew. It got the the point where President Eisenhower said this:
Ike was a great president, but often Democrats misuse that quote. Applying the quote to any attempt to fix and therefore save those programs is not only anti-progressive it is doubly stupid.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm middle class. I don't receive any support.
Highly doubtful. We know from IRS reports that the top 5% of filers, roughly 7 million, are subsidizing over 300 million people to a very significant extent:

Actual U.S. Census and IRS data:

U.S. population 2012: 314 million.

U.S. federal income tax returns filed: Only 135 million.

U.S. federal income taxpayers: Only 71.5 million.

The latest ACTUAL average effective federal income tax rates by income group, published by the IRS:

Top 0.1%: 22.84%
Top 1%: 23.39%
Top 5%: 20.64%

And then a HUGE effective tax rate drop-off below the top 5%...
Top 5-10%: 11.98%
Top 10-25%: 8.70%
Top 25-50%: 6.01% (middle class)
Bottom 50%: 2.37%
IRS Latest Federal Income Tax Data

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Do you, though? European countries have regressive taxes and more equal incomes. You all claim to want more equal incomes, but refuse to accept the tax liability that actually promotes that greater equality.
What makes you think that??

I pay my taxes and I pay my customer's taxes. I diversified to keep my prices low. I only say that because I'm not a 1 percenter and I do it, I most definitely know that they could lower some of their prices and/or pay more on their personal income.

My last roommate was very close if not in the 1% and he was fine.

The problem now is that our tax dollars are going to unneccessary and/or corrupt practices (recent military campaigns, War on Drugs, etc).

Those are 2 separate issues.

The first issue listed, the one we're talking about, has to start reversing if we're ever going to have a strong Economy again.

Our current system is great for huge conglomerates or large corporations but bad for small businesses.

Who do you support?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
...I'm not a 1 percenter and I do it, I most definitely know that they could lower some of their prices and/or pay more on their personal income.
Please tell me you don't buy any Apple, Microsoft, etc., products. If so, you're contradicting your beliefs, and enabling the income disparity you profess to disdain.
Quote:
The problem now is that our tax dollars are going to unneccessary and/or corrupt practices (recent military campaigns, War on Drugs, etc).
I agree.
Quote:
Our current system is great for huge conglomerates or large corporations but bad for small businesses.
There are two causes for that. One, I've already posted on numerous times: our country's progressive tax system perversely incentivizes as wide of an income gap as possible so that the federal government can maximize federal tax revenue.

The second, is that those who 'claim' to object to the income disparity keep buying products and services from the 1%ers' corporations.

Nothing will change until those two causes are neutralized.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Highly doubtful. We know from IRS reports that the top 5% of filers, roughly 7 million, are subsidizing over 300 million people to a very significant extent:

Actual U.S. Census and IRS data:

U.S. population 2012: 314 million.

U.S. federal income tax returns filed: Only 135 million.

U.S. federal income taxpayers: Only 71.5 million.

The latest ACTUAL average effective federal income tax rates by income group, published by the IRS:

Top 0.1%: 22.84%
Top 1%: 23.39%
Top 5%: 20.64%

And then a HUGE effective tax rate drop-off below the top 5%...
Top 5-10%: 11.98%
Top 10-25%: 8.70%
Top 25-50%: 6.01% (middle class)
Bottom 50%: 2.37%
IRS Latest Federal Income Tax Data
CNN briefly touched on this when discussing the Obama campaign LIE that Romney paid less in a tax rate than teachers, police officers, and etc... Romney's effective tax rate was estimated to be higher than 90% of the country.

Obama's power stems from ignorance, misinformation and lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies