Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
For years already, people have been lining up several days in advance at various retailers, pitching tents and sleeping in lin in sleeping bags and completely missing the Thanksgiving holiday, to be first in line when the doors open.

Your concern over the infringement on Thanksgiving, comes a litttle late... and is concentrated on the wrong people.

Don't like it? Don't patronize the stores. Problem solved.
Can't exactly say the same for the workers at these stores who have no choice.
They'll probably have to start work near 4pm for a 6pm opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
I don't even acknowledge Christmas until I see Santa in the Macy's parade if I happen to be watching it and neither does anyone in my family. I don't go out on Black Friday, or even that weekend. Cyber Monday is pretty cool, though.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You think Thanksgiving hasn't been commercialized?
Black Friday is about Christmas, not Thanksgiving.

I reserve the right to NOT get angry or worked up over this ridiculous phenomenon.

The way I figure, we've really only got about ten more years of this stupid story rearing its ugly head. By that time, retailers will simply have normal hours on Thanksgiving. Then they'll have shot themselves in the foot. There will be no more Black Friday, and no way to entice shoppers to stand outside at 4am and have the local media set up cameras as if something novel is happening when it isn't.

But then how will we generate hysteria???? AHHHH!!!!!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't even acknowledge Christmas until I see Santa in the Macy's parade if I happen to be watching it and neither does anyone in my family. I don't go out on Black Friday, or even that weekend. Cyber Monday is pretty cool, though.
I do all my shopping online now but I try to stick with Amazon or big name online retailers.
Then I know the package arrives in one piece and is wrapped nicely.

Amazon excels in this area.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If the masses were offended, they would not show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
For years already, people have been lining up several days in advance at various retailers, pitching tents and sleeping in lin in sleeping bags and completely missing the Thanksgiving holiday, to be first in line when the doors open.

Your concern over the infringement on Thanksgiving, comes a litttle late... and is concentrated on the wrong people.

Don't like it? Don't patronize the stores. Problem solved.
^^This, exactly.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Honestly, what's the big freakin' deal? If they are open and you want to shop, go shop. If you don't want to shop, don't.
If you do not want to work at a store that is open on Holidays don't. They have a right to set their days and hours. If you don't want to follow the schedule they have set, get another job.

It really is that easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Black Friday is about Christmas, not Thanksgiving.

I reserve the right to NOT get angry or worked up over this ridiculous phenomenon.

The way I figure, we've really only got about ten more years of this stupid story rearing its ugly head. By that time, retailers will simply have normal hours on Thanksgiving. Then they'll have shot themselves in the foot. There will be no more Black Friday, and no way to entice shoppers to stand outside at 4am and have the local media set up cameras as if something novel is happening when it isn't.

But then how will we generate hysteria???? AHHHH!!!!!
Globe calm down and reread that post I was responding to. Sheesh.

Backup a bit before I slap you with my swag turkey hat.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Honestly, what's the big freakin' deal? If they are open and you want to shop, go shop. If you don't want to shop, don't.
If you do not want to work at a store that is open on Holidays don't. They have a right to set their days and hours. If you don't want to follow the schedule they have set, get another job.

It really is that easy.
Well sure, but its a nice break rather than discussing Obamacare ad nauseum. Stated after I started an ACA thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Globe calm down and reread that post I was responding to. Sheesh.

Backup a bit before I slap you with my swag turkey hat.
Only the first line of that was directed at you.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Idiots love the Kardashians. Idiots love Jersey Shore. And idiots line up at 4 am to go shopping for crap they don't need on the only holiday that had not been commercialized. Alas, this is America and idiots are free to do whatever they want.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Only the first line of that was directed at you.
Don't make me take off my Turkey Hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies