Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And it appears that the "the answer is throwing more money at it" crowd believe that money is the root of all learning.

Liberal mom, "My child is failing his math class? Well, obviously they aren't spending enough money. What they need is for the school to hire a tutor to come to my house to help him. All he does when he gets home from school is play video games, eat, watch tv and go to bed. If the school would provide a tutor, he may actually open a book at home."
the above comment doesnt really make sense.

You argued that throwing money at the problem doesnt, but tutors do indeed help and yes they cost money.

the part about the kid not studying is specific to the kid, not the school itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Who needs a stinking Liberal Community College when you have FOX NEWS?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol Ninety-two percent of budget goes to pay union wages and benefits.

One Man's Mission to Save City College of San Francisco - WSJ.com

Gee.......................... it sounds just like liberals in the Federal government. Spend and ignore the consequences until disaster arrives. At that time, call for the grown ups to come in and see if they can fix the problem and restore order.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Who needs a stinking Liberal Community College when you have FOX NEWS?
Who needs to discuss the topic? Just commence babbling and squawking about FOX NEWS instead

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe Pelosi should bail them out with her personal funds.
She has more money then she would ever need.
"Share the wealth" and help your village
The check is in the mail. Along with all the other rich liberals in this country. NONE of them will pay one more dime to help this school or any other. But you can sure as hell bet they will vote to raise our taxes to pay for it and more.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
The check is in the mail. Along with all the other rich liberals in this country. NONE of them will pay one more dime to help this school or any other. But you can sure as hell bet they will vote to raise our taxes to pay for it and more.
Bill Gates has donated quite a bit to community colleges.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I don't know much about City College of SF's situation, but I do know that CC's with poor management are not doing well right now because they are suffering from 2 things: Less Money from the Federal Government and Declining Enrollment (as compared to 2009).

Ironically, CCs do better when the economy is doing poorly because there are more adults going back to school. To accomodate for this in 2009, the CCs ramped up their hiring: more teachers, more materials, more administration. Now that the economy is doing better, there are a lot less worker retraining students, so classes are now sitting empty. Three years ago, we offered more sections of each class and I had a lot of adult students in my classes. Now I have mostly 19 year olds again.

The CC I work at is well managed and had the foresight to save up when enrollment was up for the upcoming downturn. They stopped hiring as soon as the economy started getting better, so now instead of firing, they're just not replacing people who leave.

As for any rumors that union college employees are well paid: I teach a full teaching load. If I weren't married, I'd qualify for food stamps.
The community college where I've been an adjunct for ten years is doing okay. There were a few years when things got tight, but the board of supervisors have always maintained on a larger reserve than required by law. That extra reserve saw us through the rough patch without dropping below the lower limit, (but it was close one year). Enrollment dipped slightly, but is pretty much normal now. Since I teach at night, I've always had a mix of mostly older students with a few younger ones. Since the only full-timer who also taught my class retired last year, I now have a pretty equal mix between young/older students.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the above comment doesnt really make sense.

You argued that throwing money at the problem doesnt, but tutors do indeed help and yes they cost money.

the part about the kid not studying is specific to the kid, not the school itself.
I'm sure it doesn't make much sense to a lot of progressives.

Talk to any teacher and you will quickly discover that most of the time, children who are performing poorly are not getting educational support at home. The parents are either not assisting their children learn (helping with homework the child does not understand, encouraging them to read, etc) or have no involvement at all (the child comes home, plays games and goes to bed because the parents don't even enforce having them do their homework).

So many progressives feel that the government (aka their neighbors) should pay to have a parent in the form of a tutor take over those responsibilities.

It's not necessarily specific to the kid but to the kid's family.

Why do you think that Asian children, on average, perform better than other races/ethnicities? Do you believe they have superior genes, or could it actually be a cultural issue where the family places more value on education?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Bill Gates has donated quite a bit to community colleges.
Bill Gates has an agenda with his donations.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And what makes you think a CCSF student doesn't take out loans too? I've known quite a few of their students over the years, and just about ALL of them had student loans - some also had federal grants, but that doesn't cover everything. Oh, and I don't think I have known a single one who didn't have a job as well. So what are you babbling about, exactly?
I doubt anything you say is true, as you are a babbling leftist.

Get rid of the 'grants' and I don't have a problem with this idiotic school. Idiots taught by idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies