Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What's the point of Medicaid if no doctor will take it?
People can enroll into a medicaid managed care plan that would allow them access to a better provider network.

With medicaid, they also won't need to worry about being slammed with thousands of dollars in hospital bills if they have to go to the emergency room. Being uninsured those bills would probably just go unpaid. Would you prefer that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It would be millions mor if states like yours were not placing politics in front of the health and well being of their residents.

Has nothing to do with politics but the fact that the money has to come from somewhere to care for these people. The gov't wants the states to expand the program but aren't putting much in the coffers to subsidize it.

Why States Should Not Expand Medicaid | Galen Institute

Old 11-12-2013, 02:34 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What's the point of Medicaid if no doctor will take it?
That might be the case where you live, but I have a bunch of deadbeat mooching relatives on the Arizona medicaid program called AHCCCS and they all go to doctors and to hospitals that my heath insurance won't pay for.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
That might be the case where you live, but I have a bunch of deadbeat mooching relatives on the Arizona medicaid program called AHCCCS and they all go to doctors and to hospitals that my heath insurance won't pay for.
I would say it's a blessing your insurance isn't sending you to the same lines as the moochers you hate.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
People can enroll into a medicaid managed care plan that would allow them access to a better provider network.

With medicaid, they also won't need to worry about being slammed with thousands of dollars in hospital bills if they have to go to the emergency room. Being uninsured those bills would probably just go unpaid. Would you prefer that?
Better provider network???? Do you know how many doctors no longer accept Medicaid? Even those that do give an appointment months in the future when there is an empty slot the very next week, hoping the Medicaid patient will go elsewhere.

It was tough enough for my family to find a primary care physician when our old one retired and we have very good insurance. Even being in the medical field and knowing some of the primaries - we had a hard time funding one that was accepting new patients.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:44 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
And the insurers like what they are seeing.

"In data released by Kynect, it was revealed that a surprising 41 percent of enrollees were under the age of 35; that 59 percent were women compared to just 41 percent men; and that the highest-priced "platinum" plans were the second-most popular coverage option after the mid-priced "silver" plans. The cheapest, "bronze" plans, were the least popular, with just 12 percent opting for them."

41% under 35! If this trend continues on the larger healthcare.gov website once it is flying again, it is good news indeed for insurers and Obamacare in general.

Young female with pricey tastes: Kentucky's Obamacare numbers
Guess you skipped past this paragraph:

Kentucky also has seen something that has been a trend nationally: most enrollees so far in new health coverage offered by Kynect are going to receive Medicaid coverage, not private insurance sold by companies through the exchange.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Better provider network???? Do you know how many doctors no longer accept Medicaid? Even those that do give an appointment months in the future when there is an empty slot the very next week, hoping the Medicaid patient will go elsewhere.

It was tough enough for my family to find a primary care physician when our old one retired and we have very good insurance. Even being in the medical field and knowing some of the primaries - we had a hard time funding one that was accepting new patients.
Case in point: (in red) All praise be to Obama.

Mayo Clinic policy, no longer accepting some Medicare and Medicaid patients. - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Guess you skipped past this paragraph:

Kentucky also has seen something that has been a trend nationally: most enrollees so far in new health coverage offered by Kynect are going to receive Medicaid coverage, not private insurance sold by companies through the exchange.
No I did not skip past it. I fail to see the relevance. You conservatives are desperately trying to change the narrative. My point is that those enrolling in Ocare are nearly 41% under 35 far, far exceeding anyone's expectations for that percentage. As for Medicaid that is a positive number too. As I continually have to point out to conservatives, the goal of ACA is to get people covered, not make money for insurers. Every person who gets Medicaid is one less person that our system excludes from needed health care.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
No I did not skip past it. I fail to see the relevance. My point is that those enrolling in Ocare are nearly 41% under 35 far, far exceeding anyone's expectations for that percentage. As for Medicaid that is a positive number too. As I continually have to point out to conservatives, the goal of ACA is to get people covered, not make money for insurers. Every person who gets Medicaid is one less person that our system excludes from needed health care.
You mean 2800 people is far exceeding their expectations ?
Exactly what were their expectations ...10 ?

Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Has nothing to do with politics but the fact that the money has to come from somewhere to care for these people. The gov't wants the states to expand the program but aren't putting much in the coffers to subsidize it.

Why States Should Not Expand Medicaid | Galen Institute
Agreed! This is not politics, it's simple economics. sure the feds will pay 100% the first two years, but then the state will be unable to handle the huge taxpayer funding of a few hundred thousand more Medicaid recipients, and budgets will blow up, taxes will soar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies