Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Not a single damn thing. In my area I know people who walk into the voting booth and vote for anyone with a D after their name, even if they don't know a thing about them. They would rather sit out an election than vote for the more competent candidate if they were Republican.
People vote for candidates that more reflect the voter's ideology, not for the most "competent" candidate. An election is not a job interview, it's a popularity contest and that works for people on both the right and the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
People vote for candidates that more reflect the voter's ideology, not for the most "competent" candidate. An election is not a job interview, it's a popularity contest and that works for people on both the right and the left.
I think you are missing the point: yes, we do try and vote for the candidate that matches our views, but what is being said by Dockside is, people vote straight party line even if a candidate doesn't represent that persons way of thinking. Not all Republicans are the same, not all Democrat think the same. In other words voting straight party line is not very bright. Doing research is a much better way to elect our representatives.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are missing the point: yes, we do try and vote for the candidate that matches our views, but what is being said by Dockside is, people vote straight party line even if a candidate doesn't represent that persons way of thinking. Not all Republicans are the same, not all Democrat think the same. In other words voting straight party line is not very bright. Doing research is a much better way to elect our representatives.
I think there are four types of voters.

1. A voter that votes for their "team" be it Republican or Democrat. This voter will employ all kinds of cognitive dissonance to support the team.

2. An ideological voter that votes (probably with one hand holding his or her nose) for the party that is closer to their ideology. I think this voter is much more likely to simply not vote as a form of protest against a candidate of the party they usually support as opposed to voting for the party that represents the ideology the voter is opposed to. I think the except to that would be if the candidate from the opposing party is more reconciled to the voter's ideology (a moderate Republican, a 'Blue Dog' Democrat).

3. A voter that has no true ideology and just votes for whoever makes the strongest impression based upon whatever issue(s) are important to the voter that election season. This voter is not likely to be posting in places like this, because this voter isn't really that political.

4. A voter that for some odd reason, votes for the party that does not represent his or her views because the voter is not actually aware of the political positions and basic ideology of the two major parties. This voter might be an idiot, at the very least, this voter knows little about politics, doesn't care to educate his- or herself about politics, and isn't likely to be found in a place like this (where people discuss politics).

Looking at it within the context of this thread, it seems that voters numbers 3 and 4 are not being addressed here (because they aren't here), rather it appears as if the thrust is directed at voters numbers 1 and 2 (particularly #2). The comments by user Dockside are of course, open to interpretation until that user clarifies them, but I did not take them to mean: "people are voting for parties they don't actually ideologically agree with." Instead I take them to mean: "people are voting for candidates that they don't actually know much about."

Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Yep. Look at Mark Sanford in South Carolina, who had a kerfluffle in having an affair which broke up his marriage, and had the nuggets to ask his ex-wife to support him in campaigning. But he did get elected to the House, and won rather decisively despite that.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We're talking President here. If you are a liberal and there is a liberal candidate running as a Democrat for what reason(s) would you not vote for them?

Would you vote for a known Communist? Would you vote for an ex-con? Would you vote for a drug addict? Would you vote for a proven liar? Would you vote for a politician with a scandalous past (not talking sexual but more like got away with a slap on the wrist for fraud, embezzlement, campaign finance crime, insider trading, tax evasion, etc.)? Would you vote for a President with zero management experience? Would you vote for a president who would drastically increase the national debt and you have children? Would you vote for a former Republican who switched parties and became a Democrat? Would you vote for a Muslim who has a record of speaking favorably about Sharia Law or belonged to organizations supporting it? Would you vote for a President who thinks the federal government is better at making parental decisions? School decisions? Would you vote for a pro-life Democrat who is liberal about everything else? Would you vote for a former lobbyist? Would you vote for a President who took end runs around Congress? Would you vote for a liberal who doubled your taxes? Would you vote for a president who told you what you can and cannot eat or drink? Would you vote for an "open borders" (let anyone in) person?

Those are just some questions to ponder. You don't have to pick any of them. Assuming you have a mind of your own and don't let the DNC pick your candidate choice, I'm just curious about where liberals draw a line for a Democrat candidate. What can't they be or be for?
Nothing, party followers are the worst, and the most uninformed.....

Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
I wish a real liberal/progressive would run on the Democratic ticket. Obama, like Clinton before him, doesn't fit that description, so we haven't really had the option of voting for one for a long time.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:11 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Would you vote for a known Communist?
If their platform was close to mine, sure.

Quote:
Would you vote for an ex-con?
Depends on what they did.

Quote:
Would you vote for a drug addict?
Addicted to drugs previously but has since been cured of addiction? Yes. Currently addicted? No.

Quote:
Would you vote for a proven liar?
No. Which is why I don't vote in most elections.

Quote:
Would you vote for a politician with a scandalous past (not talking sexual but more like got away with a slap on the wrist for fraud, embezzlement, campaign finance crime, insider trading, tax evasion, etc.)?
No.

Quote:
Would you vote for a President with zero management experience?
Depends on the person.

Quote:
Would you vote for a president who would drastically increase the national debt and you have children?
Quote:
Would you vote for a former Republican who switched parties and became a Democrat?
If their platform was close to mine, yes.

Quote:
Would you vote for a Muslim
Yes.

Quote:
who has a record of speaking favorably about Sharia Law
No.

Quote:
or belonged to organizations supporting it?
No.

Quote:
Would you vote for a President who thinks the federal government is better at making parental decisions?
Yes.

Quote:
School decisions?
Yes.

Quote:
Would you vote for a pro-life Democrat who is liberal about everything else?
Depends on the pro-life stance. If they move to ban abortion, no. If they realise that they can be personally pro-life without banning or restricting abortion, yes.

Quote:
Would you vote for a former lobbyist?
Depends on what they lobbied for.

Quote:
Would you vote for a liberal who doubled your taxes?
Depends on if they fought for those taxes to be used responsibly.

Quote:
Would you vote for a president who told you what you can and cannot eat or drink?
No.

Quote:
Would you vote for an "open borders" (let anyone in) person?
If by "open borders" you mean "literally let everyone in and throw caution to the wind", then no.

If by "open borders" you mean "don't -who- we let in, but still make everyone go through the immigration process", then yes.

Quote:
I'm just curious about where liberals draw a line for a Democrat candidate. What can't they be or be for?
Typically, if they're a Democrat candidate, I won't vote for them.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM

229 posts, read 232,467 times
Quote:
We're talking President here. If you are a liberal and there is a liberal candidate running as a Democrat for what reason(s) would you not vote for them?

Would you vote for a known Communist? Would you vote for an ex-con? Would you vote for a drug addict? Would you vote for a proven liar? Would you vote for a politician with a scandalous past (not talking sexual but more like got away with a slap on the wrist for fraud, embezzlement, campaign finance crime, insider trading, tax evasion, etc.)? Would you vote for a President with zero management experience? Would you vote for a president who would drastically increase the national debt and you have children? Would you vote for a former Republican who switched parties and became a Democrat? Would you vote for a Muslim who has a record of speaking favorably about Sharia Law or belonged to organizations supporting it? Would you vote for a President who thinks the federal government is better at making parental decisions? School decisions? Would you vote for a pro-life Democrat who is liberal about everything else? Would you vote for a former lobbyist? Would you vote for a President who took end runs around Congress? Would you vote for a liberal who doubled your taxes? Would you vote for a president who told you what you can and cannot eat or drink? Would you vote for an "open borders" (let anyone in) person?

Those are just some questions to ponder. You don't have to pick any of them. Assuming you have a mind of your own and don't let the DNC pick your candidate choice, I'm just curious about where liberals draw a line for a Democrat candidate. What can't they be or be for?
You just described Obama...lolololol

Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
it's a thread. you answer the questions, you don't ask them. if you want to ask them, start your own thread.
unless its well known the op is taking a survey for the other side.

why bother answering.

The GOP has been clueless about the American public and its concerns since W left office.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:

Most of your criteria wouldnt get the person nominated for a presidential candidate position, Vacuous opinions like "he's a liar" arent generally taken seriously. Basically being a liberal i'm voting for the liberal candidate and cant think of a reason i wouldnt vote for a liberal that has been nominated by the DNC.
Presumably you would use similar logic to vote for your Republican candidate. Or would you actually vote for a Democrat candidate if your Republican candidate was guilty of any of your posted criteria?

Last edited by jambo101; 12-01-2013 at 05:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies