Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The amount of "credit" they get up front is based on their estimated 2014 salary.
And that's supposed to be verified ? What company is going to verify a future estimated salary ?
Who besides the government hands out money based on what you "think" you will earn next year ?
And they can't be held accountable for "estimates" can they ?
oops..I guess wrong.

How does the IRS plan to check EVERY individual tax return next year to VERIFY all this ?

I got a whole lot of popcorn ready to sit back and watch.

ACA is for people who cannot afford insurance today and you think they will pay the entire premium ?
What you will have are the old and sick signing up in droves compared to the younger workers.
ACA premiums will have no choice but to rise. Plans outside of ACA can limit risk pools and will start attracting the healthy. Then what will you do ?

This has already been brought up by the government. I'm sure there's some paper buried in the Federal Register about their plans but no one has uncovered it yet.
No they can't. The plans outside are the same as the plans inside in that respect. Actually, in my state, there are no plans outside of the exchange that I can find. By that I mean that the same products as are on the exchange are sold directly and there are none that are outside only. Even if they were, medical underwriting is history and they must issue to all comers with rates based soley on age and tobacco use and meet all the requirements for essential benefits etc, etc. The other thing that should get your blood aboil with your perspective is that the ACA is not, for insurers, a standalone program. Costs that are not covered through the feds reinsurance program will be spread among all the lines, not just the ACA insureds. There are few, if any, insurers who operate only on the exchange (wouldn't a public option have been nice?) So you may end up paying more too! I am sure you will be back next year claiming any increase is due to exactly that.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No they can't. The plans outside are the same as the plans inside in that respect. Actually, in my state, there are no plans outside of the exchange that I can find. By that I mean that the same products as are on the exchange are sold directly and there are none that are outside only. Even if they were, medical underwriting is history and they must issue to all comers with rates based soley on age and tobacco use and meet all the requirements for essential benefits etc, etc. The other thing that should get your blood aboil with your perspective is that the ACA is not, for insurers, a standalone program. Costs that are not covered through the feds reinsurance program will be spread among all the lines, not just the ACA insureds. There are few, if any, insurers who operate only on the exchange (wouldn't a public option have been nice?) So you may end up paying more too! I am sure you will be back next year claiming any increase is due to exactly that.
Yes they can. ACA only requires a single risk pool for those insurers that offer plans inside and outside of the exchange.

A company that does not participate in Obamacare does not have to comply.
It's in the law.

Companies not participating in Obamacare stay within state regulations.

I'm currently with Aetna and they pulled out of many states and are not participating.
It looks like on BCBS and Scott&White are participating.
And Scott&White is both an insurer and provider.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 11-24-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 10:18 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Default Best description yet of Obama and the ACA

"Obama is like someone who burns down your house. Then shows up with an empty water bucket. Then lectures you about how defective the house was."

Rep. Steve Scalise, (R) Louisiana

George Will: Obama’s presidency unravels through chaos and crisis - The Washington Post

Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"Obama is like someone who burns down your house. Then shows up with an empty water bucket. Then lectures you about how defective the house was."

Rep. Steve Scalise, (R) Louisiana

George Will: Obama’s presidency unravels through chaos and crisis - The Washington Post
You found that worth quoting? Oh my..

Old 11-24-2013, 01:56 PM

7,492 posts, read 5,744,386 times
Quote:
Nope. Same thing. I guess you never heard of withholding, huh? They have your money long before you are required to pay. In fact, the tax exemption is worse that way as they never withhold the money from that. If one is welfare then so is the other.
You seem to have trouble staying in track. I need you to explain to me how someone who already pays into the tax system to provide entitlement benefits should now pay up to 30% of their gross income to pay for other people's Heath care.

Just answer the question. I'm not interested in who you think is a racist, what Bush did, what you think someone owes you.. Just answer the question

Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,272 times
Quote:
The other thing that should get your blood aboil with your perspective is that the ACA is not, for insurers, a standalone program. Costs that are not covered through the feds reinsurance program will be spread among all the lines, not just the ACA insureds. There are few, if any, insurers who operate only on the exchange (wouldn't a public option have been nice?) So you may end up paying more too!
Maybe in isolated areas / small states with only one or two dominant insurers, but for most people in competitive markets the insurers will have to swallow the losses because otherwise they won't be able to offer competitive benefits in their other lines of business.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Maybe in isolated areas / small states with only one or two dominant insurers, but for most people in competitive markets the insurers will have to swallow the losses because otherwise they won't be able to offer competitive benefits in their other lines of business.
The Fed promised to cover their losses.
It's in the bill

There's a name for that..it's called "moral hazard".

Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Fed promised to cover their losses.
It's in the bill

There's a name for that..it's called "moral hazard".
Yeah that's true to a point...was referring to the portion not covered by risk corridors or reinsurance.

If only the sick buy in both the feds (i.e. us taxpayers) and the relevant insurers will take it on the chin.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Yeah that's true to a point...was referring to the portion not covered by risk corridors or reinsurance.

If only the sick buy in both the feds (i.e. us taxpayers) and the relevant insurers will take it on the chin.
There's another "R" in there...Risk adjustment performed by HHS.
None of these players would lose money.

Now this is all coming out in the open because Obama changed his mind.
People can keep their junk policies.
These would be healthy people.
The young are not signing up in droves like HHS/CBO thought.

Now does HHS have a secret pot of money because it looks like they may have to start paying out much sooner than they thought if the majority signing up end up being old and sick.

For this to be viable projections said 40% of all signups need to be young, healthy people who would not need any services.
Basically pay in and not use.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,208,776 times
I haven't read this whole thread so this may have probably been brought up already... but I wonder how many people actually understand how the new deductible situation works. Our HR person didn't even know how it worked and I would bet most people think it works the same old way. Going to be one hell of a Christmas surprise and drain on disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.