Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, until Obamacare passed, I had to be in school to have health insurance through my father's plan. Sadly being 26 that is gone and now it is better to not have insurance than to. It is 2.5 times the amount to sign up for the exchange in the bronze plan (the lowest plan offered through Obamacare) should I sign up at my expected pay-grade than to be taxed. So either I pay more times throughout the year or pay the the fine and hope I don't get deathly sick. It's a bad toss-up where either way you lose. You pay for Obamacare and you lose money if you don't get sick but if you don't, you'll get nailed if you do get sick. If the penalty was higher, I would be more inclined to apply for a healthcare plan.
One of the major screw ups associated with ACA is that the ACA banned catastrophic policies. You are exactly the type who would be better served by a catastrophic policy than none at all, except 'you know who' had those outlawed.

Unbelieveable isn't it?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:58 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Borregokid is on my ignore list, but I'm predicting his blocked post includes one if not all of the following terms: Medicare, Social Security, VA, Tea Party.

Am I right?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
They arent paying the most. A 21 year old will only pay 1/3 the cost of someone 64 years old. Also those between 21-35 usually dont make as much as those over 40 and many will have subsidies.
Someone is subsidizing the old because $200-$300 is shaved off of premiums for those over 50.

I just went to healthsherpa.

21 year old…$127
50 year old…$227

For the same BCBS HMO.
And I'd wager the 50 year old is in a better financial position to pay that $6K out of pocket.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Someone is subsidizing the old because $200-$300 is shaved off of premiums for those over 50.

I just went to healthsherpa.

21 year old…$127
50 year old…$227

For the same BCBS HMO.
And I'd wager the 50 year old is in a better financial position to pay that $6K out of pocket.
Low risk - low usage helps to subsidize the higher.

The insurance companies love to have large numbers of low risks. Much of that premium money can be used as investment, while payouts to that low risk group is low.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Low risk - low usage helps to subsidize the higher.

The insurance companies love to have large numbers of low risks. Much of that premium money can be used as investment, while payouts to that low risk group is low.
They need people paying premiums and not using services.
That's how it works.

But the youth are defying this.

We're the lemmings that fear life with no insurance

Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Funny how the people voting for it are dropping it like flies. Guess they finally got around to reading after 3 years.

Harry Reid exempts some of his Senate staff from Obamacare exchanges

Quote:
CNN reports that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the Affordable Care Act exchanges.

That’s right, even House Majority Leader John Boehner and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, who have voted against the healthcare law dozens of times, have told their staff to sign up for insurance plans through the federal exchange

Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For 33% of plans it is not.
My enrollment period is over.
Maybe next year I'll be in that boat but for this year I lucked out.

I'm in a corporate retiree plan.
Remember..the FedGov loves the corporates.
Lucked out is right. You will come to love Obamacare when your ex-employer decides they can't afford to pay retirees health premiums anymore and you are over 55 under 65 and, thus, can't go on Medicare. I can tell you all about that scenario.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
One of the major screw ups associated with ACA is that the ACA banned catastrophic policies. You are exactly the type who would be better served by a catastrophic policy than none at all, except 'you know who' had those outlawed.

Unbelieveable isn't it?
Only people under 30 are "allowed" to have catastrophic plans.
The government said so.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What part of the ACA is a step in the right direction? Because all I see are a bunch of clueless self appointed masterminds forcing their ideas on the rest of us, and flailing about when their Utopian ideas, which worked in their theoretical discussions in the academic lounges, but failed on all levels to work in practice.
What part of the ACA is a step in the right direction?
Gee, I don't know, maybe it's the:

The elimination of "lifetime caps"?
The fact that you cannot be denied insurance because of "pre-existing conditions"?
You can't be charged more based on your health status?

Ken

Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
What part of the ACA is a step in the right direction?
Gee, I don't know, maybe it's the:

The elimination of "lifetime caps"?
The fact that you cannot be denied insurance because of "pre-existing conditions"?
You can't be charged more based on your health status?

Ken
unlimited mental health therapy is also now part of Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies