Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Since it's affordable you don't need the subsidy?

Actually I do need the subsidy. I don't make that much money or haven't, but have lived off of money I got in a divorce settlement (due to run out) and money that came in from student loans. I'm on the upswing with income, as my business is finally starting to take off (hard to find a job so I created my own) and I actually guessed (and probably inflated) what I hope to make in 2014.

School for me will be finished by April and I just looked at my student loan amount - I'll owe $60,000 when I'm done wiht payments of probably $300 to $500/month to pay it back. So I'm swapping one bill for another.. I'l have a BBA with a major in marketing /minor in small business management when it's all done.

BUT.. I needed the college degree to be able to get a job that actually Pays a living wage (in my case, the knowlege gained in my pursuit of my degree has been a big help in getting my business up and running) - so that I don't have to end up at a job that I work full time at, but still have to collect welfare - I just had to go into some heavy debt in order to complete my degree.. which, btw, I did while being a full time mom to my son (and all his activities) build and growing a business with no loans/grants/etc, working odd jobs here and there to supplement (and help to reinvest into my business) and donating my time to charitable events n my community.

So.. indeed these subsidies have saved me over $200/month that will then be used to start tucking away to have money to start paying back my heavy student loans for the college education I acquired

I'm just grateful it's there - because if it wasn't for the social safety net that this country has I would be in a pit of poverty that would be impossible to climb out of. Hell , I'll still be climbing even with the degree because of the mound of debt getting that education has put me in. BUT I wanted to set an example for my son and wanted to better myself and my station in life.

Here's to hoping that soon I will have to pay more taxes because I'm doing well (I'll be happy to pay the tax bill, because that means I am doing much better and someone else will benefit from the programs available that would have helped me improve) ! Here's hoping I won't qualify for nice subsidies because I'm doing well.

I would gladly take the financial security of having a health income over the ability to get "assistance" any day.. but as I sated I'm grateful that assitance is there, because without it attaining a higher station or better position would be near impossible.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
[snip]

As enrollments increase and insurers see the individual market as more than a nuisance, some of the names now missing will want a piece of the action and it will get more competitive. Many of them sat out this year with a wait and see approach. Also, now that ACA has standardized policies to a large extent, it will be easier for companies to get state level approvals to sell where they don't sell now. In a few years, I think you will see names you never heard of that are big in other areas of the US on your local exchange offerings.
You count on the exchange enrollees being in the right proportion to attract other insurers and more completion. There's still nothing other than wishful thinking to believe the numbers of younger, healthier will buy insurance in enough numbers to offset high-cost enrollees. Without a 'surge' of young buyers over the next 3 months, there will be higher premiums and fewer options next year.

You and the rest of Team Obamacare have a lot of work to do with the young invincibles

Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You count on the exchange enrollees being in the right proportion to attract other insurers and more completion. There's still nothing other than wishful thinking to believe the numbers of younger, healthier will buy insurance in enough numbers to offset high-cost enrollees. Without a 'surge' of young buyers over the next 3 months, there will be higher premiums and fewer options next year.

You and the rest of Team Obamacare have a lot of work to do with the young invincibles
It doesn't matter what the premiums are for those with subsidies. It's didn't matter if young people don't get insurance.

This is all a shell cause the admin is bent on covering people.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
It doesn't matter what the premiums are for those with subsidies. It's didn't matter if young people don't get insurance.

I generally agree.

Right now the insurance companies are doing all within their power and influence to augment their holdings and bottom line. And if they should grossly underestimate losses, good ole Gov't will step in to avoid a crisis. So at least until we end up with a public option or single payer, the privates could make out like gangbusters.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
good ole Gov't will step in to avoid a crisis.
Yes the tax payer is going to bail out the insurance company. An insurance bailout is built in to the Obamacare law. It props up the insurance industry and prevents them from bailing out. Although few people knew about it until recently, Obamacare contains a 3 year "risk corridor program" designed to bail out insurers if costs were higher than anticipated from too few young people enrolled.

On Monday, HHS proposed changes that would open the bailout spigot even more. It proposes to loosen the rules to be eligible for any "risk corridor" money. It also wants to lower the threshold before a company can get federal "reinsurance" payments. Previously, a company would have to spend at least $60,000 on an individual before the government would kick in. They want to drop that to $45,000.
Some observers think the resulting costs of an ObamaCare bailout could reach half a billion dollars in the first year.

2/3 of Americans oppose the bailout.

Two-Thirds Oppose any ObamaCare Insurer Bailout: IBD/TIPP Poll - Investors.com

Old 12-07-2013, 10:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Actually I do need the subsidy. I don't make that much money or haven't, but have lived off of money I got in a divorce settlement (due to run out) and money that came in from student loans. I'm on the upswing with income, as my business is finally starting to take off (hard to find a job so I created my own) and I actually guessed (and probably inflated) what I hope to make in 2014.

School for me will be finished by April and I just looked at my student loan amount - I'll owe $60,000 when I'm done wiht payments of probably $300 to $500/month to pay it back. So I'm swapping one bill for another.. I'l have a BBA with a major in marketing /minor in small business management when it's all done.
Congrats on your degree. I don't understand the $60k in debt but that's another story.

Hopefully you'll make enough money to not qualify for the subsidy and can start paying a premium as you get older like the rest of us. Then you'll have a higher premium and the school debt.

Dems also want to double the fuel tax, hope you don't drive far in your job.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
When the SCt found Obamacare could stand because it was a tax, my employer advised in a series of meetings they would either pay the fine per person or the coverage would change. The coverage did in fact change, my premiums went up $200 a month and I lost the coverage on one of my son's medical expenses to where I have to pay out of pocket an additional $125 a month. While annoying, we still had good coverage, until the recent news.

We learned this week that 80 million would be losing their employer coverage, and this same week our employer has scheduled healthcare coverage meetings after the first of the year.

We may keep our coverage, and I hope we do, because the coverage options are dismal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why do you think your employer is going to drop you? If they wanted to drop you they would do it this year. There are no laws requiring large employers to cover you until next year. The few ACA requirements that apply to large group policies are all in effect now. So there is going to be no increase other than the usual inflation for your employer to deal with next year. Several years from now, employers will have to start paying a tax on high end policies, but given the numbers you posted, that would not apply to yours. And if they did, unless you make close to 100,000K then you will get subsidies with a family of four. And if you make close to $100K, there is no way an employer is going to terminate coverage for that level of employee. So relax. It's not your problem.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

Is Obama himself a con, a Pub, a propagandist for anti-Ocare forces ---

"What happens is, if you don’t have pools that are a cross-section of society, then people who are already sick or more likely to get sick, they’ll all rush out and buy insurance. People who are healthy, they say, ‘You know what, I won’t bother.’ And you get what’s called adverse selection."

How about Bill Clinton ---

"I think it’s important for you to tell the people why we’re doing all this outreach, because this only works, for example, if young people show up and even if they buy the cheapest plan, they claim their tax credit so it won’t cost them much — 100 bucks a month or so. We’ve got to have them in the pools, because otherwise these projected low costs cannot be held if older people with preexisting conditions are disproportionately represented in any given state. You’ve got to have everybody lined up..."

I suppose in your view, it doesn't matter how high premiums go for people who buy insurance. We'll just keep on upping the subsidies. Better yet, an Executive Order declaring all people are insured.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Congrats on your degree. I don't understand the $60k in debt but that's another story.

Hopefully you'll make enough money to not qualify for the subsidy and can start paying a premium as you get older like the rest of us. Then you'll have a higher premium and the school debt.

Dems also want to double the fuel tax, hope you don't drive far in your job.
Don't understand the school debt...? LOL. thati s what a degree costs.

My brother has $70K in student loans when he was done. Another brother has a lot less, but that's because he went to a state school and had a lot of scholarships and for most of his college career he was able to live with my parents. They've been out of school for quite some time.. the one that has the $70K in debt.. really acquired most of that as he worked through grad to a PHD (and by that time my father passed away and my mom moved so he had to live on his own, try to work some job AND get through a tough academic program in which he went straight through to PHD).. Me.. no different.. I had to take out student loans to pay the debt and used some of it to pay my living expenses while raising a son and going to college .. But, my debti s not unusual;

Another friend (former client) has $169K in student loans - teaching degree and was a special education teacher. and I know my neighbor across the street - nursing degree, is pretty hefty on the loans too - as a matter of fact her student loans almost equals the mortgage her and her fiance pay on the house they live in.

The price of getting a college degree in this country is akin to a mortgage.. but a degree is required to get a job beyond a minimum wage - which isn't even a living wage. If you're lucky to find a job at all.

Maybe by the time I am earning enough.. we'll finally havea one payer system..and I'd be happy to the pay the taxes on that!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Don't understand the school debt...? LOL. thati s what a degree costs.

My brother has $70K in student loans when he was done. Another brother has a lot less, but that's because he went to a state school and had a lot of scholarships and for most of his college career he was able to live with my parents. They've been out of school for quite some time.. the one that has the $70K in debt.. really acquired most of that as he worked through grad to a PHD (and by that time my father passed away and my mom moved so he had to live on his own, try to work some job AND get through a tough academic program in which he went straight through to PHD).. Me.. no different.. I had to take out student loans to pay the debt and used some of it to pay my living expenses while raising a son and going to college .. But, my debti s not unusual;

Another friend (former client) has $169K in student loans - teaching degree and was a special education teacher. and I know my neighbor across the street - nursing degree, is pretty hefty on the loans too - as a matter of fact her student loans almost equals the mortgage her and her fiance pay on the house they live in.

The price of getting a college degree in this country is akin to a mortgage.. but a degree is required to get a job beyond a minimum wage - which isn't even a living wage. If you're lucky to find a job at all.

Maybe by the time I am earning enough.. we'll finally havea one payer system..and I'd be happy to the pay the taxes on that!
Med School before grants/scholarships is about $50K a year now for my daughter!

4 years of med school for me in the '70s was a total of a few thousand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies