Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Sorry, but I'm not going to let the OFA brigade get away with the bolded lie. This is NOT a Republican idea. If the GOP wanted to foist this nonsense on the American people, they could have done so when Bush was President with both chambers of Congress in Republican hands.

The Unaffordable Care Act was passed without ONE SINGLE Republican vote. Not even reliable RINOs like Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, and Peter King voted for this crap sandwich.

The Democrat Party, Obama, and their supporters own this disaster. Period. The Republicans had NOTHING to do with it.

Ditto.

This disaster has ZERO Republican fingerprints on it. And I am sick and tired of liberals whining that Republicans haven't offered any alternatives. YES THEY HAVE!!! But they have been shut down and ignored, time and time again.

REPEAL OBAMACARE NOW!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The only people who will fall for your line of reasoning are those who have no concept of how business works. Oh, wait, I guess that takes in most Democrats.

The ACA dismantled the old private, individual market on purpose. As lib commentators noted, getting rid of the old in-force policies was a feature, not a bug, of Obamacare. Only the truly naïve will fall for this chapter of Obama's blame-shifting.

The ACA is proving too complicated to implement. Few proponents will admit this until sometime after December 1, when it becomes apparent that not everyone will be able to get health insurance before the cancelled policies run out. Then we will see another round of panicked activity and half-baked solutions. I wish they would all get together and reform the reform.
Nothing was dismantled. Guarantees were put in place to stop the gouging and unfair practices, but Obama haters are just too stupid to get the concept. No surprises there.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Really? When did this happen?

So people aren't signing up for BC/BS or United Healthcare or Aetna of Cigna... when they buy from the exchanges?
Who are they buying from then?
Ms. Lily, I wrote that the old private individual market is dismantled. You are correct, people are buying ACA-compliant policies from BL/BS and United Healthcare etc. But this new marketplace, as distinguished from the old status quo, is totally dependent on the success of Obamacare in attracting enough young people and a healthy enough mix to avoid a premium death spiral.

There is a very real question as to whether this really pans out. The assumptions that went into the rate-making may get swamped by adverse selection and inadequate participation.

The most ironic thing of all is that for many, after January 1 health care will be less affordable and there may be millions more uninsured than we had when the law was passed. I know my policy with its outrageous 50% coinsurance rate (In-Network!!) and $2500 deductible will leave me more than $6,000 out of pocket on a $10,000 medical episode. Yikes! Some people will have insurance but will not be able to afford any actual health care, with terms like these.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Nothing was dismantled. Guarantees were put in place to stop the gouging and unfair practices, but Obama haters are just too stupid to get the concept. No surprises there.
Yeah, BC/BS in my state was a hotbed of gouging and unfair practices....oh, wait a minute, no they weren't. Every individual policy issued by the premier carrier with the best reputation for fair claims practices got cancelled--had to be cancelled--by the terms of the Affordable Care Act. Dismantled? Sheesh, I guess!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Yeah, BC/BS in my state was a hotbed of gouging and unfair practices....oh, wait a minute, no they weren't. Every individual policy issued by the premier carrier with the best reputation for fair claims practices got cancelled--had to be cancelled--by the terms of the Affordable Care Act. Dismantled? Sheesh, I guess!
The crap policies were likely issued by some company like Celtic or Golden Rule under the BC name, not underwritten by BCBS. It's like saying you flew Delta when you took a third party puddle jumper prop plane home for Thanksgiving from the big city hub. You ain't fooling anyone with this.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM

600 posts, read 659,997 times
why are right-wingers feigning concern for the 'potentially' uninsured from the horrible-ripoff individual insurance market (due in small par5 to the ACA); yet care nothing for the current 50 million uninsured Americans

such horrific hypocrisy and really apathetic malevolence!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The crap policies were likely issued by some company like Celtic or Golden Rule under the BC name, not underwritten by BCBS. It's like saying you flew Delta when you took a third party puddle jumper prop plane home for Thanksgiving from the big city hub. You ain't fooling anyone with this.
Wow, that is a stretch. Study up on the licensing and use of the most trusted name in health insurance, Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Just where do you get off talking about crap policies in reference to me? Let me summarize it for you, again:

ACA-compliant policy and cancelled policy ("crap" policy according to you): both had no lifetime limit, no annual cap on benefits.

"Crap" deductible per person, $1,800. "Wonderful" ACA deductible, $2,500.

"Crap" benefit payout rate above deductible: 80% (20% coinsurance). "Wonderful" ACA plan, 50% benefit payout / 50% coinsurance.

Benefits payable in event of a $10,000 claim: "Crap" policy would have paid $6,560. "Wonderful" ACA policy will pay just $3,750.

No offense, but what you are calling crap seems to be one hell of a lot better than the ACA replacement plan. You don't know ACA from shinola.

Bottom line, the big problem you have is that we are learning by the hundreds of thousands just what a raw deal the ACA is. Why do you think Feinstein and Landrieau and Heitkamp and Manchin and all the rest are running as fast as they can away from the gaping maw of Obamacare, that is threatening to swallow their careers whole? Are they racist too? Are they unreasoning, implacable foes of Obama too? How come they are not as enthusiastic as you are about the ACA? Hmmmmm?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why do people keep insisting that policies being canceled are "junk".

Very few policies canceled are junk (we all know what junk policies are. Those limited medical plans that cost $50/month for 55 years olds when they should be paying around $400/month with a $3000 deducible).

Most policies canceled are major comprehensive people age 30 pay around $150/month with a $2500 deducible. They elected not to carry maternity riders (which often add $300/month to the cost). Because most people on individual market know its cheaper just to pay cash for maternity (usually $5000-6000 for all OB expenses including anesthesia and vaginal delivery or $7000-8000 for C/Section).

The ACA does include maternity but jacks up the premiums from $150/month to $300/month along with jacking up the deducible from $2500 to $6350.

Sure 50-60% may get subsidies but their out of pocket expenses are still going very close to what they would have paid with cash for maternity care. And those without subsides end up paying much more.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And yet it was Obama who saw fit to spew lie after lie. I agree ACA didn't dismantle the old system, but it did increase costs for many, it did impose unfair regulations like force people to carry maternity insurance when they have no need for it. And the ACA is so good for everyone that our President felt the need to lie in order to sell it.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
why are right-wingers feigning concern for the 'potentially' uninsured from the horrible-ripoff individual insurance market (due in small par5 to the ACA); yet care nothing for the current 50 million uninsured Americans

such horrific hypocrisy and really apathetic malevolence!
OK, I'm not sure you were talking to me, but let me clue you in about what I believe.

I think the mixed government/private system that has grown up in the US over the last five decades is a Frankenstein monstrosity. In terms of outlays, we are already 50% single payer via Medicare. And Medicare is a giant piñata; providers know exactly where to hit it to get the candy. Consequently we are paying 150 or 200% of what it ought to take to cover everybody.

Here are my principles:

1. Tying health coverage to employment is making us poorer, with fewer jobs. Giving large subsidies based on low income provides incentives to report low income, which also makes us poorer. Stop the nonsense, just GIVE EVERYONE a base level of care--no charge, single payer. Anybody that wants better than government care can pay cash or buy supplemental insurance.

2. Health care for a child should not depend on who its parents are. We ought to educate every child so they can grow up and pay a lot of social security taxes; we ought to provide health care to every child for the same reason.

3. Use the same kind of rationing and access controls that are used in other universal care systems, like the UK's National Health, to keep costs under control.

4. Collect most or all of the cost from a combination of payroll tax and progressive income taxes. Payroll tax to let everybody contribute something. Income tax to let the more successful pay more.

5. Admit that Obamacare is an unholy, unworkable mess that can probably never be implemented as written--and is likely to result in even more uninsured rather than less! Start in on a total rebuild ASAP.

The fact that Obamacare sucks has nothing to do with my concern for the currently uninsured. But Obamacare sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies