Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
You get 1 vs. millions from my post, really? Umm. .. the post clearly states that it HELPS or doesn't effect the vast majority and only affects 3% negatively.

So to flip it around.. the conservative is willing to allow 50 million to die or suffer at the hands of the system (15% of our population) so that 3% of the population isn't inconvenienced with a better policy that they will have to pay more for...

YOU are an example of a conservative mentality: Facts.. what are they.. I ignore them because it doesn't suit me

Hyperbole much?

3% of the population is millions. Millions of people who will lose coverage and die and suffer at the hands of the system. Killers.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Right now it's affecting roughly 3% of the population (those making generally more than 250% of poverty and younger) who get insurance on the exchanges. That's the scary thought. Even those getting subsidies are paying more on the exchanges in 2014 than 2013.
Especially if the are under age 50 and healthy.

3% is around 10 million people getting rates jacked up. There are about 15 million getting insurance on the individual market. Roughly 50% are expected to get some type of subsidy.

I used my apple iPhone analogy in a previous post. For 2013 the iPhone 5s 16gb retail cost $650. But under the ACA model apple would jack the price up to $900 retail. And under the ACA especially those under age 50 even if they are poorer. Apple and the govt are going to give them a deal. They will knock off $250 off the price of the 2014 iPhone 5S 16gb that's selling for $900 as of Jan 1 2014.

Don't people see why people are angry? Especially those making over 400% of poverty who will pay even more.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. 10 million being affected.

Wait till next year especially when small business cannot absorb the higher costs. Those smaller business who used to give generous subsidize healthcare for employee dependents will start cutting back cause they are only required to give affordable healthcare to employee only. Those same employees used to be able to get insurance on the individual market for their non working spouses and kids for affordable prices.

But since most prices on the new exchanges are much much higher compare to 2013 for almost all people under age 50. These employees are screwed. Cause they cannot even get subsidies by law. So they have to pay full price for their dependents.

This will add another 10-15 million getting screwed.

By my math that's now 25 million "losers" in the ACA.

I think ACA supporters should not under estimate how many millions of honest federal tax paying citizens are being affected. These are not rich folks. And that's why Obama and the Dems are back tracking very quickly.

It's nice and easy to play games when you can pick on the top 5% and say they need to pay more. But these are people in the 20-25% range. Middle class maybe slightly upper middle class folks.

The Obama strategy about "making the rich" paying "just a little bit more" doesn't work.

He even tried to disregard all the cancellation noticed by saying the same things ACA supporters are still trying to say ( that the cancellations make up such a small minority of folks). It still adds up to millions of folks.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You're leaving out the part about the Employer Mandate being delayed.
Of course she is. Obama is so wishy washy he is all over the place like a drunken sailor.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
You get 1 vs. millions from my post, really? Umm. .. the post clearly states that it HELPS or doesn't effect the vast majority and only affects 3% negatively.

So to flip it around.. the conservative is willing to allow 50 million to die or suffer at the hands of the system (15% of our population) so that 3% of the population isn't inconvenienced with a better policy that they will have to pay more for...

YOU are an example of a conservative mentality: Facts.. what are they.. I ignore them because it doesn't suit me
I didn't want such bad news so early in the day: the # of uninsured is now 50 million and they're going to die due to no insurance. Sad.

Even if Ocare works as intended, which it won't, 30 million remain uninsured.

Your 80% unaffected ignores when employers shift costs to employees with higher deductibles, co-insurance, copays and reduce coverage and move from full-time to part-time.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
I think the Repubs should all run against Obamacare in 2014 and 2016. That would be a goooood plan.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think the Repubs should all run against Obamacare in 2014 and 2016. That would be a goooood plan.
The real question, particularly in 2016, will be what they are FOR, not what they are against.

Being against Obamacare is too easy. It fails in its goals, it was so oversold it will disappoint for years, and it will be the scapegoat for everything that everybody dislikes about any aspect of their health care or its financing. Today's news shows how much the ACA hates marriage--has a huge marriage penalty. The other shoe fell, then the other other shoe, then the other other other shoe....Obamacare must be a centipede.

The most productive approach would be to promote reform of health care reform. If the (R) brand figured out a way to effectively get care to the 15% uninsured, retain the pre-existing conditions fix, retain the age 26 thing, restore some of the flexibility the market formerly had, inject more market discipline into health care, and reform the corrupt and fraud-ridden Medicare system, Obamacare will have ruined the Dem brand for a generation. (or until the R's totally screwed up again.)

Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Reform what ? The cost of the services ?
Everyone seems to want the cost lowered.
The only way the government can do that is to nationalize it and put price controls in place.
I'm sure Venezuela's Maduro can give us pointers on issues like that

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The real question, particularly in 2016, will be what they are FOR, not what they are against.

Being against Obamacare is too easy. It fails in its goals, it was so oversold it will disappoint for years, and it will be the scapegoat for everything that everybody dislikes about any aspect of their health care or its financing. Today's news shows how much the ACA hates marriage--has a huge marriage penalty. The other shoe fell, then the other other shoe, then the other other other shoe....Obamacare must be a centipede.

The most productive approach would be to promote reform of health care reform. If the (R) brand figured out a way to effectively get care to the 15% uninsured, retain the pre-existing conditions fix, retain the age 26 thing, restore some of the flexibility the market formerly had, inject more market discipline into health care, and reform the corrupt and fraud-ridden Medicare system, Obamacare will have ruined the Dem brand for a generation. (or until the R's totally screwed up again.)
The (R) brand does not give a hoot about the uninsured. They had plenty of opportunity to do something and did nothing. The current version of the party believes that the government has no business interfering in the market at all. As for Medicare, they would essentially eliminate it for most people of working age. We will not see any fix from the right.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I didn't want such bad news so early in the day: the # of uninsured is now 50 million and they're going to die due to no insurance. Sad.

Even if Ocare works as intended, which it won't, 30 million remain uninsured.

Your 80% unaffected ignores when employers shift costs to employees with higher deductibles, co-insurance, copays and reduce coverage and move from full-time to part-time.
That figure also includes illegals, those who qualify for medicaid but don't enroll and those that choose not to get insurance among others. The US Census bureau has the breakdown for those that care to look at details.

And newsflash...we're all going to die one day.
Having a health insurance card is no guarantee of immorality or a long life.

Who the hell has died from lack of insurance ?
Cause of Death: lack of insurance card

Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
"If you like your insurance, you can keep it" they said.
I get to keep mine but it has only cost me 40% more. I guess I get to pay extra for the Obamaphone people.

There is a free lunch and I'm buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies