U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Vermont
10,308 posts, read 11,225,495 times
Reputation: 14189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why? Why do gay people need to marry?
Oh, you poor thing. You must have been hiding under the bed when this screen came on:


 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,128,992 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That was simple enough. Why do people have such hard times answering questions.

So, why do YOU deserve those? And not someone who wants to marry two wives?
We deserve them because we are US citizens as you are, we are not different or from another planet. Why do yoyu deserve those benefits and rights and forget about it being about children because they are not required for marriage and also many gay people are raising children and forget about someones god, because belief in god is not required for marriage. We deserve the same rights, the same privileges and same protections. We do not have separate rights for blacks or whites or jews or latinos, everyone in the USA shares the same rights.
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
how bout it liberals. brother marrying sister. two consenting adults.
Not my thing, and has potential for genetic issues (if you have kids together). But hey, knock yourself out!
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I agree with Jesus on this. Look up his words on gay marriage. He is the Son of God. You can't argue with that.


 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,128,992 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So, you're saying that because someone wants some legal rights and privileges, they should be give them?

Or, are you saying that emotional bonding between people is the business of the state?




I married because I made a formal commitment to the woman I married. Whether any legal rights came with that was mostly irrelevant. It also almost didn't happen, because the county failed to record my marriage and we didn't even find out until 23 years later. We managed to find where it broke down and after all these years, we were finally legally married a couple of years ago.



What does voting have to do with a state-regulated license to marry? You don't need permission to vote.



Some refuse to. But, again, irrelevant, completely so.



Actually, your response wasn't thought through at all.
Why did you feel the need to make your marriage legal? Do you not think that we want legal marriage for the same reasons. Do you lack compassion and an understanding that just because one is gay, does not mean that we deserve less in the way of rights? Should different races be afforded different rights based on their race? Should women have separate rights? Why do you and so many think that we gay people should be discriminated against and have laws enforced that restrict our freedoms? That is totally against true American values and freedom and equality.
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,128,992 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You obviously didn't read the first post.

When you have a rebuttal to my reasoning, then post it. Until then, I am correct, you are wrong.
No, he is right and you are wrong. You obviously do not want any true answers because you have already made up your mind, so you dismiss any answer that does not fit your ideal. Seems rather childish to me and selfish. Why were you not satisfied with your wedding/marriage and felt the need to have it legally recognized? Could it be the rights, protections and benefits that cannot be gotten any other way?
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That was simple enough. Why do people have such hard times answering questions.

So, why do YOU deserve those? And not someone who wants to marry two wives?
I'm neither gay nor polygamous, so my opinion might not count for much - but if people in polygamous relationships want to fight for their legal rights, they have my blessing.

These are completely different topics, though, so you might want to start a separate thread to discuss the issue of polygamous/multiple marriage. Otherwise you're just using the typical slippery slope (aka strawman) argument, which is useless and played out. And in the history of this nation, we have ALWAYS addressed each issue separately... it's not like the government said "well, if we let women vote that means animals need voting rights too!" Separate issues, separate arguments and conclusions. But I guess when you're losing one battle, the best way to continue the argument is deflection.
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 PM
 
423 posts, read 362,042 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
You must not have checked in decades then.

Are all your opinions based on outdated ideas or just this one?
Two men, or two women can conceive together through intercourse?

When did this start happening?
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 7,841,019 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
Two men, or two women can conceive together through intercourse?

When did this start happening?
That's not how all families are started. Both homosexual and heterosexual couples use surrogates, donor sperm, foster or adopt children. Some couples even choose to be childfree for the remainder of their lives.

This has been happening for a while. I'm sorry that you didn't get the memo.
 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,124 posts, read 22,038,882 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Why? Why do straights need to marry?
Why does government have to sanction marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top