Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
You seem to hold generally center-left philosophies, but have been influenced enough by Republicans to think that holding center-left views is wrong. So you pick and choose a few "right-wing" ideas (flat tax, that our public schools are failing, being tough on social security) to make you appear center-right.

Or you could be a moderate libertarian who believes in some regulation for the common good.
Why does he have to be influenced that his stance is wrong? What is truly WRONG is believing you have to pick a side and stick with it on everything. I know he is asking what his/her label should be but it sounds like this person is an American who hasn't drank the kool-aid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Those two put you in the far left category. A 25% flat tax would be huge and even expand our bloated Big Government. So you are a far left big tax big government person.

Taking my SS money and giving it to somebody else is theft.
By definition SS is a social insurance. So saying that it is theft is like saying that your premiums paid into health insurance going to cover a claim of another is theft. Social security should operate like an anti-poverty insurance...paid to those who need it to avoid poverty... as it was originally intended. That isn't theft...it's paying a premium into a large social insurance system to expand the reserves in case it's needed...maybe by you...maybe not. Hopefully you'd never need it.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Central-government-uber-alles leftist kook who hasn't done any particular study or research into the reasons for government or the causes of economic problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Politically, I'd classify you as 'simple'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Definitely in the hardcore liberal freak category, with absolutely no clue about the US Constitution. You might want to actually read the "Supreme Law of the Land" before making such wildly uninformed leftist opinions. You ignorance on the subject is very apparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Your massive ignorance demonstrates your leftist nature. Nothing you listed is within the scope of the federal government as defined by the US Constitution. A common liberal freak trait is to manufacture BS out of thin air when they have no idea what they are talking about, which is the overwhelming vast majority of the time. Just the fact that you consider the US Constitution to be complete trash makes you an extremist leftist. A Pelosi/Reid/Obama wannabe, and a serious threat to the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I would define OP as a Low Information voter with fanciful notions that are not well thought out.

It's interesting to me that lately, the extreme righties on this forum have become even meaner and nastier than usual.

The OP asked an honest question and was instantly attacked, his ideas mocked and his character impugned.

Seriously, what DO you people get out of all this anger, bitterness, hatred and self-righteousness? What reward do you feel in your life for your ugly, judgmental behavior?

[At the same time: Kudos to Hawkeye, one of the hardest-core righties on this forum, for not indulging in this behavior. I surely expected something nasty when I saw your name… a pleasant surprise that you didn't sink to your fellow righties' level.]

Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
You're a lefty. By reading your opinions and solutions, you seemed to be deferring to the judgment and generosity of the federal government, I could not help but notice you even assumed the centralized government model extended to the UN, that it should police the affairs of the world's nations.

I don't know if deferring to government was your intension, or if you are just responding to current events. Even your comments concerning Social Security, taxes and education, you had an all powerful federal government taking on the primary role, dictating to the people who gets what, as if that is government's assumed role.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I've had a bit of a political epiphany as of late and I'm not sure if I know how to accurately label myself anymore. I feel like I've always sort of been a moderate Republican or a centrist...but I've been told from random people that I'm more to the right than a centrist but more left than a moderate Republican.

So here is what I think...lable what I am.

Taxes: I think we should have a flat tax at 25% with limited deductions. The capital gains taxes should remain at 15% to incentivize investment and capital risks. Corporate taxes at 25% as well...limit deductions and work to create regulatoins to manage off shore tax evasion.

Banking Regulation: Create stronger regulations to manage the shadow banking sector...CDS, CDO, Etc.

Ways to address recessions: Rebate checks to citizens. Put the money in the hands of the people. This is particularly useful when aimed at the poor because they are less-inclined to save these tax refunds...they will spend them which will stimulate growth. The Bush Admin issued tax vouchers which had a moderating effect on the early 2000's recession and made it much more acute than it would have been otherwise.

Military: Scale it WAY back. Do we really need to outspend practically every other nation thrice over? We need to scrutinize the military as hard as we scrutinize domestic programs for spending cuts.

Foreign Policy: Close as many overseas bases as possible, safely. Stay out of foreign affairs. Let the UN address these issues.

Healthcare: I've vascilated on this one a lot. I've read a lot lately on healthcare and based on my
experience with our healthcare system and the system I used while studying abroad in Austria (single-payer)....I prefer the Austrian system. Their taxation isn't remarkably higher than ours and their Ministry of Health is their central negotiation body and it is remarkably efficient with handling their costs. The healthcare system in Austria is remarkably efficient and succeeds at holding costs down far better than ours. So...based purely on my experience with these two systems only...I choose the Austrian one.

Social Issues: Pro drug legalization/taxation, pro gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-legalizatoin of prostitution. My basic premise is...if you ain't hurtin' anyone and each party is a willing and legal consentor...go for it.

Education: Tax vouchers for parents...empower parents to pick better schools than our failing public system. We've tried forcing money into this system for years...It isn't getting better and more money just isn't the answer. Parents should be able to opt out and use their "share" of the tax dollars for vouchers so that they can send their kids to the school of their choice.

Social Security: It should be means tested and serve as a true social insurance. There is no reason that wealthy people should pull from social security. If you don't need it...you don't get it. The eligibility age needs to be raised as well. We live longer these days.

Well, those are all the issues I can think about off hand. If you need more to accurately label me...ask and I'll try to address it.
Judging by your thread on Argentina, I'd say you're far right. In that thread you struck me as someone who gets their information and news from predominantly right-wing sources.

Based on your comments here, I'd say you're a right-of-center young person. Which means that no party cares what you think. You're not old, angry, or rich enough to register on the Republicans' priorities, but your policies aren't redistributive enough to make you relevant to the Democrats.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I've had a bit of a political epiphany as of late and I'm not sure if I know how to accurately label myself anymore. I feel like I've always sort of been a moderate Republican or a centrist...but I've been told from random people that I'm more to the right than a centrist but more left than a moderate Republican.

So here is what I think...lable what I am.

Taxes: I think we should have a flat tax at 25% with limited deductions. The capital gains taxes should remain at 15% to incentivize investment and capital risks. Corporate taxes at 25% as well...limit deductions and work to create regulatoins to manage off shore tax evasion.

Banking Regulation: Create stronger regulations to manage the shadow banking sector...CDS, CDO, Etc.

Ways to address recessions: Rebate checks to citizens. Put the money in the hands of the people. This is particularly useful when aimed at the poor because they are less-inclined to save these tax refunds...they will spend them which will stimulate growth. The Bush Admin issued tax vouchers which had a moderating effect on the early 2000's recession and made it much more acute than it would have been otherwise.

Military: Scale it WAY back. Do we really need to outspend practically every other nation thrice over? We need to scrutinize the military as hard as we scrutinize domestic programs for spending cuts.

Foreign Policy: Close as many overseas bases as possible, safely. Stay out of foreign affairs. Let the UN address these issues.

Healthcare: I've vascilated on this one a lot. I've read a lot lately on healthcare and based on my
experience with our healthcare system and the system I used while studying abroad in Austria (single-payer)....I prefer the Austrian system. Their taxation isn't remarkably higher than ours and their Ministry of Health is their central negotiation body and it is remarkably efficient with handling their costs. The healthcare system in Austria is remarkably efficient and succeeds at holding costs down far better than ours. So...based purely on my experience with these two systems only...I choose the Austrian one.

Social Issues: Pro drug legalization/taxation, pro gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-legalizatoin of prostitution. My basic premise is...if you ain't hurtin' anyone and each party is a willing and legal consentor...go for it.

Education: Tax vouchers for parents...empower parents to pick better schools than our failing public system. We've tried forcing money into this system for years...It isn't getting better and more money just isn't the answer. Parents should be able to opt out and use their "share" of the tax dollars for vouchers so that they can send their kids to the school of their choice.

Social Security: It should be means tested and serve as a true social insurance. There is no reason that wealthy people should pull from social security. If you don't need it...you don't get it. The eligibility age needs to be raised as well. We live longer these days.

Well, those are all the issues I can think about off hand. If you need more to accurately label me...ask and I'll try to address it.
Left, but not far-left.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 AM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Judging by your thread on Argentina, I'd say you're far right. In that thread you struck me as someone who gets their information and news from predominantly right-wing sources.

Based on your comments here, I'd say you're a right-of-center young person. Which means that no party cares what you think. You're not old, angry, or rich enough to register on the Republicans' priorities, and you're not liberal-brainwashed enough to register on the Democrats' priorities.
With regards to Argentina...I don't have an issue with a strong safety net. I think that Argentina is managing theirs poorly and expanding it too greatly without the means to do so...further they're engaging in a cultural pitting of the poor against the wealthy with the intent of building of a "dignity of the poor" ethos amongst it's citizens. It's not the safety net that I have an issue with...it's what I perceive to be they're desire to keep people on the system as opposed to helping them get off it. I think a safety net is an absolute necessity and a mark of a decent country. I just believe that the goal should be to get people off of it as soon as reasonable possible.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
But it is a forum where you are going to get some off the cuff responses, and your responses to them lead one to believe you don't want to hear others' opinions.
No, it shows he doesn't like insulting responses. Why shouldn't he expect respectful responses? He deserves that. The responses should be "you fit here because of X" not "you are a kook/freak".

Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I also think you are center left.

I am center left as well and agree with most of your viewpoints except I think your flat tax is too much at 25%. I think 15% would be more than enough, or 10% across the board with a 1% national sales tax that can NEVER be raised.

I also agree with you immigration stance except I would add that we amend the constitution and enact citizenship rights that make it a requirement to have at least one American born (or naturalized) parent to be considered an American citizen. That would deny a lot of anchor baby families along with the rich Chinese who come over here to have babies then leave the country so in the future their kids can get financial aid and not have to be classified as international sutdents.

Also, I would support limits on all social welfare programs, especially in the housing industry of which I am employed. I think there should be a 5 year limit on vouchers and that housing authorities and HUD should primarily support the private real estate industry in offering tax credits to developers to ensure quality affordable housing that will not be based on the voucher system - like Section 8. I also would support providing more government grants to private charities that provide emergency housing for people who maybe lose their jobs and then are facing homelessness.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
In regards to Libertarians, I don't think that you would qualify. I personally feel they are a fringe sort of political "movement" and that they support too much of a "hands off" type of governing that will lead to the collapse of society as we know it.

I think, like communism, libertarianism is good on paper but would not be good in practice. IMO it is the direct opposite of communism and both are extreme philosophies and that extremes are never good.

I am comfortable being an independent. We are courted much more aggressively than the extreme righties and lefties and are not as easily brainwashed by left/right propaganda. In many ways, I see us as the "common sense" citizens who can see past all the BS that the cons and libs try to pass off as the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies