Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times

Advertisements

I think the mortgage deduction, the dependent deduction, and just about every other individual income tax deduction should go away. But when I complete my tax return, I use every deduction available to me. Am I a hypocrite? I don't think so. I am following the wishes of Congress.

Republicans are not against aid to poor including food stamps. They are against excessive aid.

A Republican using social services is not a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
No one is against safety nets, they are against the substantial expansion of safety nets without any oversight.

I don't have a problem with food stamps and understand that people need help from time to time, I have a problem with indefinite assistance that creates long term dependency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Every now and then, one poster posts a common sense approach to a forum your this person.

Thank You for being the straight factual shooter. Your exactly right, anyone who thinks differently, are the ones with the problem. Most mature individuals would definitely have a problem with the substantial expansion of any safety nets without any oversight what so ever

Most caring people don't have a problem with the food stamps, and people down on their luck do need help from time to time. But it is those who use this assistance indefinitely, that does create the long term dependency, that hurts AMERICA PERIOD.. And i can tell you many long boring stories of those who try to screw the system from realitives who work at Social Securiety offices around this Country, i know many and have heard the outrageous stories people will go thru, to get their free pass.

And it is those people who feel that they are special, and should receive that in which they do not deserve, indefinitely that makes good people crazy. Sorry but many lazy people out there i have no respect for.
i also am not against safety nets, but i am against the excessive expansion of these programs far beyond their original intent. welfare for instance was set up to provide for those whose unemployment is running out, but they are in a position of getting back on their feet, they just need a bit of a break to get over the hump. but it has turned into a program that has generations of people on welfare for life in some cases. so rather than be a helping hand, it has become a handout.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
We already know that the red states such up more federal funds than they put in...nothing new.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
I see alot of people defending Republicans in here... Strangely, nobody says a word when Republicans call 40% of Americans "leeches" and "dregs of society".

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I see alot of people defending Republicans in here... Strangely, nobody says a word when Republicans call 40% of Americans "leeches" and "dregs of society".
So if someone does not pay any federal taxes and benifits greatly from the taxes of others are they not "leeches"?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:30 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do you think that Republicans on food stamps or other aid/welfare are hypocrites. The Republican party has made it a central issue that "Obama is a food stamp President" and saying similar things.

I recently heard about someone that is supposedly a "hard core Republican" but turns out they receive food stamps..

How is this NOT hypocritical?
So what is your point, conservatives are never down on their luck and never in need of temporary assistance? Have you not seen this economy? It's hitting everyone, not just democrats.

Food Stamps serve a purpose, we don't want our fellow citizens, who are temporarily down on their luck, or suffering a personal tragedy, to starve to death. the same thing for all these social welfare programs, they all serve a purpose, and are supposed to be tailored only to the people who need our help.

1. It's like everything else, all in moderation, and only for their stated purpose. Lowering the bar to allow people to collect Food Stamps, who can pay their own way is not something anyone approves of.
  2. Not policing a government program very well, and allowing billions in fraud to occur, is also something no one approves of.
So why is it when a conservative states either 1 or 2, liberals make the accusation that conservatives are evil racists, who want people to die?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We already know that the red states such up more federal funds than they put in...nothing new.
Care to take a guess as to why that is?

Think maybe it has to do with the large amount of military bases on red states compared to blue? Perhaps because people are not concentrated as much in large areas which requires more monkey per person for things like roads and schools?
Maybe because of all the farms that receive subsadies that help keep food prices low which benifit those democrats in blue urban areas?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Quite possibly, because this 40% isn't far off the mark? Just look at the other thread on here about the EBT Cards and Walmart. The second someone can take advantage of someone else's money, they do and in droves. That is a leech and a dreg of society.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
So if someone does not pay any federal taxes and benifits greatly from the taxes of others are they not "leeches"?
You can't support safety nets with one breathe and call people down on their luck "leeches" with your next breathe... Somebody might point you to a dictionary.

Hypocrite - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
No one is against safety nets, they are against the substantial expansion of safety nets without any oversight.

I don't have a problem with food stamps and understand that people need help from time to time, I have a problem with indefinite assistance that creates long term dependency.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Maybe if he weren't "a food stamp president" the republicans you speak of would be working and not on food stamps. Cause and effect?

Tb
Don't blame Obama because some Republicans are too lazy to get a job. What happened to personal responsibility that Republicans like to preach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies