U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor raising the minimum wage to $9 an hour?
Yes 38 36.89%
No 65 63.11%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 2,650,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Neither did Apple, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Twitter or Facebook.
You give a few paltry examples and I raise you with examples by the hundreds.

Crony Capitalism in America: 2008-2012: Hunter Lewis: 9780988726727: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
We see it everywhere:
• shady zoning regulations in a small town;
• taxpayer money diverted into political campaigns;
• deals that enrich the few at the expense of the many;
• billion-dollar bailouts;
• trillions of newly printed dollars flowing from government to Wall Street at giveaway interest rates;
• brand-name economists hired to defend the indefensible with a smokescreen of economic theory.

When private interests need a political favor, they know whom to call. When politicians need money, they also know whom to call. The people involved try to keep most of it concealed behind closed doors.

This is the system that prevails in Russia after the fall of Communism. But increasingly it is America's system as well.

AgainstCronyCapitalism.org | "The Real Problem with the Economy"

There are more crony capitalists in this country than the few examples you posed.

The lesson learned by the numbers, is that you have to buy politicians to get anywhere in this country.

Even among your examples, where would Apple be if it were not for politicians and lobbyists opening the doors wide open to Commie China for business to employ cheap labor there, and then selling it back here to US Citizens.

Why doesn't apple sell to the Chinese that make a dollar a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 PM

830 posts, read 951,266 times
I am a 22 year old college student, so obviously i'm not at the top of the pay-scale.

I do not agree with raising minimum wage. When you do that, prices go up. It makes a problem, grow into another problem. You want to make more money? Get an education. Problem solved. I think $8/hour is just fine for a kid in high school. Instead we have adults taking those jobs and complaining.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM

18,396 posts, read 9,482,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
You give a few paltry examples and I raise you with examples by the hundreds.

Crony Capitalism in America: 2008-2012: Hunter Lewis: 9780988726727: Amazon.com: Books

AgainstCronyCapitalism.org | "The Real Problem with the Economy"

There are more crony capitalists in this country than the few examples you posed.

The lesson learned by the numbers, is that you have to buy politicians to get anywhere in this country.

Even among your examples, where would Apple be if it were not for politicians and lobbyists opening the doors wide open to Commie China for business to employ cheap labor there, and then selling it back here to US Citizens.

Why doesn't apple sell to the Chinese that make a dollar a day?
In case you don't know, Apple was a prominent company BEFORE there was even a single Chinese labor available.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 PM

12,246 posts, read 15,099,072 times
When the minimum wage was equal to $9 an hour in todays money, it seemed the US economy was healthier. While that may not have been the reason, it shows the economy can survive even if those at the bottom make a little more.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 PM

830 posts, read 951,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
When the minimum wage was equal to $9 an hour in todays money, it seemed the US economy was healthier. While that may not have been the reason, it shows the economy can survive even if those at the bottom make a little more.
Minimum wage where I live is $9/hr. You couldn't survive off that if your life depended on it.

Heck my wife and I both make over $15/hr and it's still hard. Heck- my rent for a 1bdr is a mortgage on a 5bdr house in Texas. I'm drinking cheap beer as I type

Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
In case you don't know, Apple was a prominent company BEFORE there was even a single Chinese labor available.
At a time also when the country was healthier and not full of cheap Chinese JUNK.
The only thing Commie China has helped this country is to give more stock dividends to others portfolios while selling substandard Junk to its citizens.

Again, why don't those in business in China selling to Americans just sell their wares to the Chinese there making a dollar a day?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
At a time also when the country was healthier and not full of cheap Chinese JUNK.
The only thing Commie China has helped this country is to give more stock dividends to others portfolios while selling substandard Junk to its citizens.

Again, why don't those in business in China selling to Americans just sell their wares to the Chinese there making a dollar a day?
Americans decided to import and buy the Chinese junk. :-)

Old 11-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The economy would still survive even you raise it to $90/hour.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Americans decided to import and buy the Chinese junk. :-)
It was Banking and Corporate Politicians that created these disastrous foreign economic policies not the average American that created the inrush to Cheap Chinese Products. Where were the Cheap Chinese Products in this country before the policies were enacted?

It was Banking Politicians that created the "derivative scheme" that investors could not get enough of that crashed the Mortgage Industry. Where were the liar loans and cheap credit housing before the Banker Politicians came on the scene?

They are the problem.

Do you concede that it is a good Idea to Boot Wall Street and Large Corporations from having any influence in our Government?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 7,622,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Workingclasshero, this is the 14th time you have pasted that into an argument since July of 2012. And if there was NO minimum wage....what would you pay them? After all you argue that a $2.50 raise would make you pay them $2 more, laying some off. But hey NOW?

You could cut their wages in half, and hire DOUBLE the number of people! Congrats! YOU will make so much money!
So when is it finally going to SINK in?

You obviously do not own a business.

Minimum wage just went up $1.00 in my state to $8.25. My employees (all college kids) who have been with us for a while and who are making $9.00/hr aren't going to be happy when the "new kid" walks in and only makes $.75 less than they do. So OF COURSE I have to increase their wages as well and in proportion.

Again, you obviously have no clue about the reality of the day-to-day of owning and running your own small business.

Some people don't seem to understand that any min wage increase doesn't really hurt the big bad businesses hated by all. What are they going to lose? $2M of their annual $5M bonus? One of their 5 homes? Some of the year round staff in Aspen or Miami?

A consumer may not feel it at the WalMart level, but it's hurts the little guy a hell of a lot more, and in turn people get let go/hours cut. Prices will increase.

It's a trickle down effect in my industry. The wholesaler will raise prices so the distributer (regulated industry, no buying from China) raises prices so I have to raise prices ON TOP of paying more out in payroll. And due to the fact that payroll increases, my prices have to adjust even higher for keeping MY bottom line status quo.

I'm not going to take a personal hit. Why should I? Are you willing to?

Last edited by Informed Info; 11-15-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies