U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor raising the minimum wage to $9 an hour?
Yes 38 36.89%
No 65 63.11%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM

20,978 posts, read 16,194,338 times

Advertisements

That's because most Americans are idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM

7,674 posts, read 12,239,622 times
I can't believe even NOW, with the Obamacare disaster, people still publicly admit to being liberal. Well I am not a liberal (and in most places I've lived, liberal is a dirty word even before Obama became president), and I am opposed to the minimum wage going up. And I vote. Look at where liberalism has gotten us. Illegal immigration, Obamacare, lost coverage, support for radical Islamic terrorists in Syria, supporting the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, killing jobs through the war on coal and the war on natural gas, killing jobs through high taxes and regulations, millions of innocent children killed in abortions, taking God out of public schools, increasing crime through supporting illegal immigration, taking guns from law abiding citizens, getting rid of the death penalty so there can be no justice for crime victims. There is nothing that makes sense about the liberal philosophy.

Businesses cannot survive a minimum wage increase especially at the same time they also have to abide by Obamacare and depending on the industry Obama's EPA regulations too. And its not enough for business to just merely survive, we want businesses to THRIVE, that is the essence of capitalism. The liberals and Democrat mentality is how much I can tax, how much can I raise the minimum wage, how many regulations can I create and still not have the business shut down or move away. What about attracting new businesses? What about a healthy business environment????? Its embarrassing that the Communist Party of China is more business friendly than liberal Democrats here.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,737,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I can't believe even NOW, with the Obamacare disaster, people still publicly admit to being liberal. Well I am not a liberal (and in most places I've lived, liberal is a dirty word even before Obama became president), and I am opposed to the minimum wage going up. And I vote.
Now they are going back to "progressives" which they "progressively" limit your freedom and your rights and "progressively" increase the size and power of government.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,758,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
I am a 22 year old college student, so obviously i'm not at the top of the pay-scale.

I do not agree with raising minimum wage. When you do that, prices go up. It makes a problem, grow into another problem. You want to make more money? Get an education. Problem solved. I think $8/hour is just fine for a kid in high school. Instead we have adults taking those jobs and complaining.
Except there will not be enough jobs for everyone if they to college. You did not think that out well did you?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,758,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There you go.
Do you have evidence that it is expensive to live there because of min wage? Maybe it is high because it is a big city and cities tend to be very expensive.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 AM

18,396 posts, read 9,482,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
LMAO

Here are your poor dollars at work:

Food Stamps: JPMorgan & Banking Industry Profit From Misery | Roosevelt Institute

Crazy For "Obama Phones" - But Are They For Real? - Forbes

Obama Phone

Big Pharma And Insurance Industry Lobby Heavily For Obamacare | Libertarian News

Big Pharma And Insurance Industry Lobby Heavily For Obamacare
by michaelsuede • March 30, 2010

Lobbying Spending Database | OpenSecrets

Shall I also go into Student Loans that are supposedly to help the poor, of which are vastly inflated to make sure the big Wall Street Banks and Admin withing get a nice cut in addition to the 0% free money they are getting from the FED.

Your Heroes at the top are a Bunch of Parasites on the country, using our government tax dollars to prop them up, when my tax dollars are supposed to be going to the best interests of all citizens.

They want everyone else, small and medium business alike to prop them up at everyone else's expense.

Here are more examples of the top elite + government that is the problem in this country.

Why Does Government Always Favor the Huge Corporations?

Reason, Tradition and Liberty: Why Does Government Always Favor the Huge Corporations?

I don't think these prove anything but good business. Why shouldn't a bank profit from food stamp program??? If you don't think anybody should make a profit, don't give to a bank to begin with. Remember you control the politicians not the big corporations.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,437 posts, read 53,917,125 times
$9 an hour would be a decrease here. I don't think there should be a national minimum wage at all, it should be determined by states and/or cities only. here in WA it's $9.19, which I consider fair for this high cost-of-living area, but that would be too high for other parts of the country.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:23 AM

32,213 posts, read 26,049,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Except there will not be enough jobs for everyone if they to college. You did not think that out well did you?
getting an education doesnt necessarily mean going to college. how about technical school instead? you know, places like UTI, colorado aerotech, etc.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,209,151 times
Sure, MOST Americans want it because MOST Americans can't think past tomorrow or understand economics enough to reason it out. MOST Americans believe what they are told..that companies are sitting on hoards of cash and giving themselves high salaries.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM

71,583 posts, read 83,109,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Not enough, except as possibly a 90-day training wage.
and you can afford to pay a $ or maybe $2 more for a hamburger? Good for you, do you realize when the min wage goes up, everything else does as well, so the person who gets a raise, will pay for what he/she buys and there will be no gain for him. I am in favor of raising the min wage btw bur not even to $9 an hour. maybe $8.00 or $8.50. All the bleeding hearts seem to think, these poor people can't live on what they make, well people who work for min wage are either kids just entering the job market, people who want a second job to help pay bills or people who just want to work a few hours a day to have a little extra spending money. These jobs are not intended to be one's sole source of income. people who expect a living wage need to get training, either go to college, go to trade school or learn on the job...Then they will make enough to support a family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies