Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:50 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Funny story, but seriously, labs can find "traces" of all kinds of substances on virtually every surface people come in contact with.

My favorite was when a local LA news station "investigated" the cleanliness of hotels, by examining their bed sheets under a "blue light". Now THAT was hysterical!
I do get creeped out after seeing that show. I want to take the bedspread off the beds in hotel rooms but my hubby won't let me.

I do like the paper cups in plastic though. I saw our hotel maid just rinse our glasses, wipe and put back and they had no new glasses on their carts. EWWWWW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL, those are probably the cleanest.
Look up. Something went flying over your head.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
I'm a public librarian, as you might already know... and now you also know why I always scrub my hands after work, before taking lunch, etc. I've actually found much worse on books, believe it or not.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I took my cat to the vet yesterday because he was sneezing and shaking his head a lot. Evidently, he has herpes. I wonder what books he's been taking out of the library? No wonder I can't find my library card.
LMAO... and for the record, one of my kitties has herpes (of the eye) too. *insert dirty joke using other word for cat*

Old 11-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I find this thread depressing. Do you have any idea how many books I handled without sanitary gloves on in my 28 years of working in the library?? Of course, I am an habitual hand washer. And I was just about to have another cup of coffee and a cookie. Time to wash my hands AGAIN!

We also did our best to sanitize our telephones, desks, chairs, computers, shelves and spent hours cleaning books. And everybody thought we just sat there and read all day. LOL.
Haha. You know how many times I've had to argue that misconception? I carry a book with me to the reference desk every day, but have only maybe cracked it open once in a year... and only for like 5-10 minutes, before a patron came up with a question.

But yes, library books are filthy! We keep hand sanitizer on every desk, both public and staff; I try not to overuse them, but get really grossed if I forget before eating.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LMAO... and for the record, one of my kitties has herpes (of the eye) too. *insert dirty joke using other word for cat*
What's the difference between Herpes and love ? Herpes is forever........

Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well this proves it..even people that never agree on anything, always find one thing to agree on. I never wear outside shoes in the house and always change my clothes before sitting down on any furniture. Never would I touch a thing in my house when I get home before washing my hands. Those TV exposes that go into 5 star hotel rooms with an ultra violet light that reveals every bodily fluid on the remote control and telephone and practically everywhere else says it all. When I travel, I am always equipped with alcohol and peroxide. I don't care what anyone thinks or calls it, I'm not lounging around in yuk.
You are the only other person that I have ever talked to who understands WHY you don't wear your street clothes when you sit on the couch or the bed. And I don't care what anyone thinks either. I'm not the one who gets sick every six months, or feels the need to stand in line for a flu shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My nearest library is in a heavily Republican area. I'm not going anywhere near the books on Ronald Reagan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Look up. Something went flying over your head.
It was subtle...but it was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I do get creeped out after seeing that show. I want to take the bedspread off the beds in hotel rooms but my hubby won't let me.

I do like the paper cups in plastic though. I saw our hotel maid just rinse our glasses, wipe and put back and they had no new glasses on their carts. EWWWWW
Janelle, many moons ago, when I first started college, I worked in a hotel. The first job I had in the hotel was housekeeping. This was an upscale hotel. Tell your husband that even upscale hotels do NOT change the bedspread after every guest. Sheets are changed, but not the blankets, and not the bedspread. If you stay in a hotel, the very first thing that you should do is request a new blanket and bedspread. Hotels won't change them until a request is made, or they are so dirty, you can't deny it anymore. I'm not even kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a public librarian, as you might already know... and now you also know why I always scrub my hands after work, before taking lunch, etc. I've actually found much worse on books, believe it or not.
You've found worse than herpes germs? Dare I even ask?!?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 PM

48 posts, read 54,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Germs, germs everywhere. A large supply of U.S. bills has measurable traces of cocaine on it too. Just wash your hands after handling foreign objects if you are concerned. One should wash their hands when coming in from outside anyway, and your fine. If we worry about things like this we will all go nuts.
That is exactly why I never put money in my mouth. Or books.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
We eat out a lot and I am sure if I looked into the kitchens I would never eat out again. We also go to Hampton and they say they always change the bedspreads each time. I think they do wash them since their bedspreads aren't the smoothest around but the lumps aren't uncomfortable.

The remote control and phone are suppose to be the filthiest things in a hotel room with even feces and urine on them. I just take the flu shot and wash my hands then try not to worry. We do need to be exposed to some germs if we want to build up an immunity to them.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

You are the only other person that I have ever talked to who understands WHY
you don't wear your street clothes when you sit on the couch or the bed. And I
don't care what anyone thinks either. I'm not the one who gets sick every six
months, or feels the need to stand in line for a flu shot.
So, when you have guests, you make them strip before you invite them to sit down?
Hmmm...that could work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies