Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times

Advertisements

I used to live in a small town with a few liberal activists, who were insufferably smug. At our annual summer festival (two weeks before labor day), he (the librarian) was off yammering at the Republican Women's tent, being his usual obnoxious self. I was picking through the tables of books for sale from the library right next to their booth and finally got tired of his screed.

He was going on about how "gay marriage" was a right just as I turned around. I said "no, it's not a right".

"YEs it is".

"No, it isn't. If marriage were a right, the state would have no say in who can get married - just like it can't decide who gets free speech and who doesn't". But you're not trying to make it a right, you just want to change who the state says is allowed and who isn't."

The guy stood there for a while, unable to find any response, while the old ladies at the booth snickered at him, and finally he stormed off to the Democrat tent, presumably looking for a retort.

Which is true. Democrats no more believe in marriage as a right, than conservatives do. They just disagree on WHO gets married.

When Democrats insist that ANYONE and EVERYONE can can get married, including siblings and other unsavory combinations, with the blessings of the state, THEN they can claim marriage is a right. Until then, they're just trying to demagogue the issue, making accusations of discrimination. Well, of course, marriage IS discrimination. After all, we deny it to lots and lots situations, and liberals generally support that idea.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
i used to be pretty close minded on the whole gay marriage thing... I didn't believe marriage between people of the same gender was okay. Then one day I realized how wrong I was and how it is none of my business to tell 2 consenting adults they cannot marry. I don't want anyone to tell me who I can and cannot marry so what gives me the right to do that to others?

I am more Conservative than Liberal. I know plenty of Conservatives who think like I do. We are not rare like some may think.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
i used to be pretty close minded on the whole gay marriage thing... I didn't believe marriage between people of the same gender was okay. Then one day I realized how wrong I was and how it is none of my business to tell 2 consenting adults they cannot marry. I don't want anyone to tell me who I can and cannot marry so what gives me the right to do that to others?

I am more Conservative than Liberal. I know plenty of Conservatives who think like I do. We are not rare like some may think.
Why? Why do gay people need to marry?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why? Why do straights need to marry?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Why do you feel the need to prevent them? I really don't understand your type. You're for stripping away someones fundamental right to happiness, yet you will defend the rights of a CEO to plunder their companies at will. Strange life philosophy you have there pal.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
As a gay man, I want to some day get married. And not to a woman!

A gay relationship is nothing less than a straight relationship and gay people deserve all the rights and privileges that straight people receive within a civil marriage.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
I used to live in a small town with a few liberal activists, who were insufferably smug. At our annual summer festival (two weeks before labor day), he (the librarian) was off yammering at the Republican Women's tent, being his usual obnoxious self. I was picking through the tables of books for sale from the library right next to their booth and finally got tired of his screed.

He was going on about how "gay marriage" was a right just as I turned around. I said "no, it's not a right".

"YEs it is".

"No, it isn't. If marriage were a right, the state would have no say in who can get married - just like it can't decide who gets free speech and who doesn't". But you're not trying to make it a right, you just want to change who the state says is allowed and who isn't."

The guy stood there for a while, unable to find any response, while the old ladies at the booth snickered at him, and finally he stormed off to the Democrat tent, presumably looking for a retort.

Which is true. Democrats no more believe in marriage as a right, than conservatives do. They just disagree on WHO gets married.

When Democrats insist that ANYONE and EVERYONE can can get married, including siblings and other unsavory combinations, with the blessings of the state, THEN they can claim marriage is a right. Until then, they're just trying to demagogue the issue, making accusations of discrimination. Well, of course, marriage IS discrimination. After all, we deny it to lots and lots situations, and liberals generally support that idea.
Liberals simply support it from the view of the state for any consenting, unrelated adults. Religions can do what they want.

That's a pretty solid and consistent foundation of logic. You really can't mess with it.

And you're right, it's not a "liberal" position; it's simply a fair and reasonable position. That conservatives are neither fair nor reasonable is unfortunate.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
how bout it liberals. brother marrying sister. two consenting adults.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
For all of the same reasons that heterosexual couples needbto get married.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Why? Why do straights need to marry?
Can you answer the question? Why do gay people need to marry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies