U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:23 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,641,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
SHOCKING: Female Teacher Jailed For Having Sex With 4 Teenage Students

A mathematics teacher will be spending 8 to 15 years in jail after it was discovered she had illicit affairs with four teenage students.
News - SHOCKING: Female Teacher Jailed For Having Sex With 4 Teenage Students

Quote:
Female teacher, 53, jailed for 16 years for four-year lesbian relationship with her student

Wallace, 53, began the inappropriate relationship when the student was 13 years old

The 16 year sentence is one of the harshest ever handed down by a court for a teacher involved in an inappropriate relationship.
Teacher Linda Leann Wallace, 53, jailed for 16 years for lesbian relationship with student | Mail Online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM

707 posts, read 724,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, the guy who got probation for child prostitution is right as rain?

Of course it's not right as rain hence my previous comment 'I am not suggesting that this will always be the case ....'

'Braunwyn' posted a few cases but if you look at the 'big list', you will see a pattern and a large number of women that went unpunished.

Take a look here Feminist researchers find female sex offenders get slaps on the wrist | Toy Soldiers

Some key points from the report

Quote:
Female offenders tend to walk away with probation, time served, or very low jail sentences compared to male offenders. Some have denied this bias, others have ignored, and others have rationalized it as extension of “Patriarchy.” Ironically, members of the latter group recently published a study about that issue. The study Sex-Based Sentencing: Sentencing Discrepancies Between Male and Female Sex Offenders published in Feminist Criminology confirms that female offenders do indeed receive lesser sentences than male offenders do.
Quote:
The hypothesis is that women face harsher sentences compared to men because they break gender roles. As the researchers Randa Embry and Phillip M. Lyons, Jr. explain:

Quote:
When all variables, sex, sentence length, and offense category, were considered, a significant difference was recognized in sentence length, and mean sentence length for men was longer, indicating a harsher penalty for the same or similar offense.
This pdf report also examines such a phenomenon http://www.quietfurybooks.com/ebooks...xoffenders.pdf

Quote:
Female sex offenders receive more lenient prison sentences, suffer fewer prison assaults, and are granted earlier parole than their male counterparts. Overall, female sex offenders are not considered
as dangerous as males. Females do not tend to use weapons, aggression, or violence during the
commission of a sex crime. According to one study,less than 20-percent of female sex offenders ever resort to force. Even when it comes to sex crimes,women are viewed as the gentler sex.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM

I don't find a difference in sentence lengths between mean 8.4 and 7.9 to be particularly meaningful. It's a stretch. Especially when the OP argument is probation vs something else.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM

25,906 posts, read 39,715,152 times
54-year-old man, 14-year-old girl who committed suicide afterward. He got 30 days.

Montana man serves 30-day sentence for rape of 14-year-old girl | World news | theguardian.com

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Lucky kid
Source: http://www.quietfurybooks.com/ebooks...xoffenders.pdf

Quote:
Another large problem is our society’s sad tendency to behave as if boys are not harmed by the sexual advances of an adult female. In fact, society often treats the boy as if he has received a largely sought after prize. The truth is that sexual abuse is psychologically damaging to both girls and boys. Several studies have shown that an overwhelming percentage of boys who were sexually abused by women grow up to be sex offenders themselves. These men target women, perhaps as a means of expressing their rage against the female who sexually and psychologically violated them. Sexual contact at a young age by a trusted adult female breaches all boundaries and therefore the child may fail to learn appropriate behavior. Studies have shown that sexual abuse of a child causes psychological damage that extends into the child’s adult life.

Problems can include:

Difficulty in forming long-term relationships.

Sexually risky behavior that may lead to STDs, including AIDs.

Physical ailments, immune system disorders, increased illnesses and hospitalizations

Depression

Suicide

The disparity in the way that our society views sexual offenders is extreme. A male teacher received a twenty-six year sentence for having sex with one teenage student, while a femalecoach received only thirty days for having sex with three students, one only eleven-years-old.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I don't find a difference in sentence lengths between mean 8.4 and 7.9 to be particularly meaningful. It's a stretch. Especially when the OP argument is probation vs something else.
This report shows more data Sentencing disparities in child-sex-assault cases point to double standard - The Denver Post

Quote:
Women in Colorado convicted of sexually assaulting a child in their care are far less likely to go to prison than men sentenced for the same crime.

A Denver Post analysis of sentencing data provided by the Colorado Judicial Branch shows that of the 2,128 men convicted of sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust from 2006 through 2010, more than 50 percent were sent to prison.

Of the 79 women convicted of the same felony offense, 38 percent went to prison. A little more than 39 percent of female defendants in that same period — 31 — were put on intensive supervised probation. Less than 35 percent of men were given the same sentence.

Experts who have studied the issue say those statistics are mirrored nationwide and show a clear disparity between how male and female teachers, coaches and babysitters are treated when they are convicted of sexually abusing a child.
There is also statistics that cover a wider range of crimes that also mirror this pattern Men Sentenced To Longer Prison Terms Than Women For Same Crimes, Study Says

Quote:
A new study by Sonja Starr, an assistant law professor at the University of Michigan, found that men are given much higher sentences than women convicted of the same crimes in federal court.
The study found that men receive sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM

My head just went numb when I looked at the sheer number differences. Over 2000 men and less than 100 women. Sorry, I'm not crying a river over this. These women should go to jail, no doubt. All 79 of them. And all> 2000 of the men.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
My head just went numb when I looked at the sheer number differences. Over 2000 men and less than 100 women. Sorry, I'm not crying a river over this. These women should go to jail, no doubt. All 79 of them. And all> 2000 of the men.
Indeed the sheer number of differences are great but the data I chose was to illustrate the differences in punishment for the same crimes of men Vs women. I do still wonder if the 79 mentioned was not the entirety but merely the only number out of a larger selection that matched the same criteria. I will have to try to find out.

If we were to also take into account overall numbers or percentages then the following shows other sides too.

For example in the below case of a juvenile facility 42% of the staff were female and the statistics show they committed 95% of the sexual abuse.

Source / pdf report http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/svjfry09.pdf

The following are some key points.

Quote:
This report presents findings from the first National Survey of
Youth in Custody (NSYC), representing approximately 26,550
adjudicated youth held nationwide in state operated and large
locally or privately operated juvenile facilities. Overall, 91% of
youth in these facilities were male; 9% were female.
Quote:
Approximately 95% of all youth reporting staff sexual misconduct
said they had been victimized by female staff. In 2008,
42% of staff in state juvenile facilities were female.

Rates of reported sexual victimization varied among youth:
- 10.8% of males and 4.7% of females reported sexual
activity with facility staff.
Another example would be Sharp rise reported in child abuse by women - Crime - UK - The Independent

Quote:

The number of children reporting sexual abuse by women to ChildLine has more than doubled over the past five years

New figures show a 132 per cent rise in complaints of female sexual assaults to the helpline service in this period, compared with a 27 per cent increase in reports of abuse by men.

Last year ChildLine heard from 1,311 children who said they had been sexually assaulted by their own mother, representing 61 per cent of all calls about abuse by females.
A post here disagrees with the above report and has some interesting points http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite...8#.UocbHCf0_Sg

I believe the differences in punishment and the attitude to crime in relation to gender is just another obstacle to justice. Overall, statistics do appear to consistently show males as the higher percentage of perpetrators, for example http://cwrp.ca/publications/2128

Quote:
The Canadian Incidence Study of Reported Child Abuse and Neglect 89% of perpetrators were male and 11% were female
Other statistics show a much closer percentage, for example
Child abuse nationwide in 2010

Quote:
53.6% of child abuse perpetrators were women; 45.2% were men
Other data that are mere estimates say http://tinyurl.com/nkp3awj

Quote:
Child sex abuse by women is significantly more widespread than previously realised, with experts estimating that there could be up to 64,000 female offenders in Britain.
Researchers from the Lucy Faithfull Foundation (LFF), a child protection charity that deals with British female sex offenders, said its studies confirmed that a "fair proportion" of child abusers were women. Donald Findlater, director of research and development, said results indicated that up to 20% of a conservative estimate of 320,000 suspected UK pedophiles were women.
Steve Lowe, director of Phoenix Forensic Consultants, which treats and assesses child sex abusers, said the true number of female pedophiles has remained hidden for too long.
A few interesting statistics here http://tinyurl.com/paqhve9

Quote:
Self-report studies provide a very different view of sexual abuse perpetration and substantially increase the number of female perpetrators. In a retrospective study of male victims, 60% reported being abused by females (Johnson and Shrier, 1987). The same rate was found in a sample of college students (Fritz et al., l 981). In other studies of male university and college students, rates of female perpetration were found at levels as high as 72% to 82% (Fromuth and Burkhart, 1987, 1989; Seidner and Calhoun, 1984). Bell et al. (1981) found that 27% of males were abused by females. In some of these types of studies, females represent as much as 50% of sexual abusers (Risin and Koss, 1987). Knopp and Lackey (1987) found that 51% of victims of female sexual abusers were male. It is evident that case report and self-report studies yield very different types of data about prevalence. These extraordinary differences tell us we need to start questioning all of our assumptions about perpetrators and victims of child maltreatment.
I agree that regardless of gender, all should be punished equally but I think bias, attitudes and other factors remain an additional obstacle for true justice.

Last edited by QuestOfTruth; 11-16-2013 at 12:24 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,013,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Lucky kid
Lucky that his control was taken away from him by a sexual predator? Really? You applaud this woman for her actions?

What if that were your son that was sexually assaulted by this woman?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghow View Post
Indeed the sheer number of differences are great but the data I chose was to illustrate the differences in punishment for the same crimes of men Vs women. I do still wonder if the 79 mentioned was not the entirety but merely the only number out of a larger selection that matched the same criteria. I will have to try to find out.
You have your answer right there to why there are differences. I'm sure it's the same with other crimes. Men commit 99% of all homicides. I'm sure if you break the percentages down you will find that men are punished to a greater degree compared to women. When it's comparatively rare the outcome will likely be different for many reasons. Maybe the system just doesn't know what to do with these women, although, again, you won't get argument from men that all of them should just be jailed period.

But, given the sheer number differences I doubt this issue will ever be seriously prioritized by society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies