U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:52 AM

17,825 posts, read 20,230,796 times

Advertisements

Thus far, everyone has gotten it wrong.

"In God We Trust" was first used on US coins during the Civil War. Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:
Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins.

You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition.
In December 1863, the Director of the Mint submitted designs for new one-cent coin, two-cent coin, and three-cent coin to Secretary Chase for approval. He proposed that upon the designs either OUR COUNTRY; OUR GOD or GOD, OUR TRUST should appear as a motto on the coins. In a letter to the Mint Director on December 9, 1863, Secretary Chase stated:
I approve your mottoes, only suggesting that on that with the Washington obverse the motto should begin with the word OUR, so as to read OUR GOD AND OUR COUNTRY. And on that with the shield, it should be changed so as to read: IN GOD WE TRUST.
The Congress passed the Act of April 22, 1864. "In God We Trust" first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.

What everyone is referring to is the change of our national motto from "E Pluribus Unum" (which still appears on the US Seal) to "In God We Trust." A law passed by the 84th Congress (Public Law 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring "In God We Trust" the national motto of the United States.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,965,113 times
The American Trinity - Prager University

"And I finally discovered this uniqueness of America looking at a coin one day... the American values system on a coin. We have all three values on every coin and no other country has these three: E Pluribus Unum, In God We Trust, Liberty. No country in the world has those three values as its essence....

"In God We Trust. America is founded on the notion that God is the source of values. That's why the Declaration of Independence says that we have inalienable rights, but they're not from humanism, and they're not from great thinkers; they are from God. No God -- then rights can be taken away by people, because they were given by people. So God is central."
------------
Even if I don't believe in God (but I do), I'm pretty grateful when many in my society 'answer to a higher power'.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:55 AM

36,928 posts, read 16,111,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Why is that on our money? I'll still spend it. It works. Stupid logo, though. There is no God.

"one nation, under God, indivisible"

Yeah, we're also not divisible, According to that.

Try reading some politics threads. Indivisible, my ass.
It's a whole better then "In the Government we trust"!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,751,711 times
Shouldn't "In God We Trust" be on debit and credit cards too?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM

30,701 posts, read 33,484,787 times
It's stupid to be on the money but people of faith take it as a personal attack on THEM if you suggest removing it. I never understood the mindset some people have, that their beliefs must be advertised on things to make them real. That's really all this is...product placement.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 AM

4,572 posts, read 2,977,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRMSmilingCrow View Post
Hasn't helped much either...but shhh, don't tell the believers that...they might actually note it hasn't done any good..their "god' failed...but it IS appropriate that his name is on the real god, money.
Wait, you're talking about obama, right?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,395,684 times
I guess for me, its hard to support "Religion" initiatives because it always seem like the so-called "religious" folks are the ones always intruding on other people's rights. christians have been some of the worst in this country.

I'm a firm believer in "God." Some of my spiritual experiences have left no doubt in my mind. But with that said, I don't believe everyone should believe what I believe.

When it comes to the state, I think things should be universal or excluded. God I'm ok with. Something religion specific I'm not.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,581,107 times
God = Religion Telling me to trust God everytime I buy something is infringing on my right to believe whatever I want. The same people who say "ITS THE CONSTITUTION ITS SIMPLE!" when it comes to gun rights will dance around this simple fact until the sun burns out. Sorry, but not only is your god a fairytale, I don't want any part of your divisive bs.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Why is that on our money? I'll still spend it. It works. Stupid logo, though. There is no God.

"one nation, under God, indivisible"

Yeah, we're also not divisible, According to that.

Try reading some politics threads. Indivisible, my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I don't trust god.

...and...

Divided we fall.
Awe look at the politically obsessed,
They seriously think the rest of the nation goes mad over politics as much as they do!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:56 AM

1,964 posts, read 1,581,107 times
Adding In God We Trust to E Pluribus Unum is probably one of the dumbest things this government has ever conceived of. "We're indivisible, but we're also gonna go ahead and divide everybody by religion." My dead dog has more rationale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or