Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

There is no real data in the article. It does say wal-mart employees make less than $9 per hour and Yum! employees make less than $8. I thought 8 was less than 9 so I thought they would be higher than wal-mart. I think the article is another "let's hate wal-mart" huffpo piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
What a newsflash: Low skill set jobs top the list of corps with low average wages.

Imagine that!!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If they cannot afford to pay enough to keep their workers off of Medicaid and Food Stamps then maybe they should consult with me and other taxpayers that are picking up the tab for these things at their next board meeting. I also have a bone to pick with them concerning the taxes they don't pay...

Wal-Mart
How about you answer the question rather than jumping around it? How would Walmart increase wages of all their employees without raising prices? You seem to be throwing out ideas without any explanations.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, they need to develop the skill of pushing buttons, and hanging product on a rack. yeah massive skill level there, we should pay these people $100,000 per year
Yes they do, if that's what the job requires. And ideally working with people, learning how to troubleshoot and handle issues, make decision, learning the BUSINESS of the business, etc. But to me the bigger problem isn't the low pay, it's expected in an "entry level" job. No, the problem is "entry level" is now "unskilled" because there are no other levels. You get one of those jobs and that's usually as far as you can go because there isn't a career track and companies aren't interested in developing anyone or promoting from within.

Not every job can lead to a career, I admit, but very few of them do these days. That's a problem because where do you take your button pushing, clothes hanging skills once you have them. Nowhere, that's where. Minimum wage hasn't kept up with COL and that is not in dispute. Together with the inability to move up it's a disaster for everyone, and that's the real reason people are pushing to make minimum wage higher. If there were more opportunities to move out of those starter positions this probably wouldn't be as big of an issue, but people are stuck there with nowhere to go.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Businesses have one purpose..to increase shareholder wealth. Liberals have chosen to make a purpose of the federal government to subsidize sloth and stupidity.

Since some people never took Econ 101:

Quote:

By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he intends
only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its
produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in
this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end
which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for the society
that it was not part of it. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes
that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it.
I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public
good. It is an affectation, indeed, not very common among merchants, and very
few words need be employed in dissuading them from it.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Businesses have one purpose..to increase shareholder wealth. Liberals have chosen to make a purpose of the federal government to subsidize sloth and stupidity.

Since some people never took Econ 101:
Which is ironic... considering liberals are generally more educated. Being more educated and subsidizing stupidity... I guess they're covering all the bases.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
10. Starbucks
9. TJX Companies
8. Macy's
7. Darden Restaurants
6. Sears Holdings
5. Yum! Brands
4. Kroger
3. Target
2. McDonald's

and the winner is
Spoiler
1. Walmart!!!!

The 10 Companies Paying Americans The Least: 24/7 Wall Street
I have to wonder why Burger King, K Mart, Popeye's Chicken, Jiffy Lube, KFC, Goodyear Tires, Tires Plus, Taco Bell, The Golden Corrale, Red Lobster, and about 30 more aren't on a list of 50?

Almost anyone making less than 10 bucks an hour qualifies for EBT or SNAP.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:08 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Retail jobs should not be a lifelong endeavor. Tens of Millions of us did them TEMPORARILY -in our TEENAGE years, and moved to higher level professions later, using our drive and education.
And yet in other countries retail jobs are careers. If you ever experienced the professionalism of a retail employee in parts of Europe or Australia etc., you will realise these are not part-time professions, but a life-long career.

Maybe if we treated retail work as more a career option, instead of stop-gap, they could be rewarded financially better and we would be rewarded with a greater shopping experience.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 AM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
And yet in other countries retail jobs are careers. If you ever experienced the professionalism of a retail employee in parts of Europe or Australia etc., you will realise these are not part-time professions, but a life-long career.

Maybe if we treated retail work as more a career option, instead of stop-gap, they could be rewarded financially better and we would be rewarded with a greater shopping experience.
Excellent point! Being a waiter is also a lifelong career in Europe.I worked with a French waiter once and he was very proud of his career.He was very professional,also.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Was this thread created to bash working people? I mean, even though they work in retail, they are still working. I thought that was a good thing. And don't think all retail jobs working for pennies. Like I said, when I worked for Macy's back in 2007 and before, my base pay was nearly 14 bucks an hour, before commission. I had coworkers making an additional 700 dollars a month in just commission every month, not including November and December holiday season.
I know this is not typical but it is not unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies