U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,676,432 times
Reputation: 5437

Advertisements

Liberals are still mad and want the Us to be behind the wall. Why??


Reagan at Brandenburg Gate - "tear down this wall" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,221,610 times
Reputation: 7950
Steven Hayes writes that "[t]he Berlin Wall speech is a perfect microcosm of Ronald Reagan's entire political career."

"Virtually the entire foreign policy apparatus of the U.S. government, Reagan speechwriter Peter Robinson recalled, trid to stop Ronald Reagan from saying "Tear down this wall," including Reagan's secretary of state, George Shultz, and the new national security adviser, General Colin Powell."

On the way to Berlin, on Air Force One, the state dept faxed a draft of the speech without the Berlin Wall line. Reagan tossed it into the trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes

Reagan: I'm the president, right?
Duberstein: yes sir, Mr. President. We're clear about that.
Reagan: So get to decide whether the lie about tearing down the wall stays in?
Duberstein: That's right, sir, It's your decision.
Reagan: Then it stays in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,973 posts, read 41,765,730 times
Reputation: 14799
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Liberals are still mad and want the Us to be behind the wall. Why??
Many liberals are too young to remember that speech. Ancient history. Maybe conservatives are stuck in the cold war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
4,375 posts, read 2,747,552 times
Reputation: 1041
It was 26 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,617 posts, read 2,057,949 times
Reputation: 2410
Remember the Alamo!!!
If there is a strange smell in the room, it's time to change your depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,676,432 times
Reputation: 5437
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Steven Hayes writes that "[t]he Berlin Wall speech is a perfect microcosm of Ronald Reagan's entire political career."

"Virtually the entire foreign policy apparatus of the U.S. government, Reagan speechwriter Peter Robinson recalled, trid to stop Ronald Reagan from saying "Tear down this wall," including Reagan's secretary of state, George Shultz, and the new national security adviser, General Colin Powell."

On the way to Berlin, on Air Force One, the state dept faxed a draft of the speech without the Berlin Wall line. Reagan tossed it into the trash.
That is why Reagan was so great. He wasn't a patsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,422,617 times
Reputation: 7829
I was little during that speech, but I still remember it.....not sure why you think liberals are or even were mad at Reagan for saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,676,432 times
Reputation: 5437
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Remember the Alamo!!!
If there is a strange smell in the room, it's time to change your depends.
Alamo? What are you talking about? I bet you don't know either. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
 
29,419 posts, read 18,676,432 times
Reputation: 5437
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I was little during that speech, but I still remember it.....not sure why you think liberals are or even were mad at Reagan for saying that.
I never said liberals were mad. Where do you get that from?? Of course Reagan is a bully in liberal terms. He was a great leader not a patsy like your hero. You don't understand because you are brainwashed by the media. I don't blame you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,422,617 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Liberals are still mad and want the Us to be behind the wall. Why??
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I never said liberals were mad. Where do you get that from?? Of course Reagan is a bully in liberal terms. He was a great leader not a patsy like your hero. You don't understand because you are brainwashed by the media. I don't blame you.
Do you read what you write or do you blindly type words? You clearly said "liberals are still mad" and I asked you why would liberals be mad about a speech from Reagan. Care to answer that question or are you gonna choose to deflect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top