U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:57 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,328,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Hmm, that's fairly close to eugenics.
All of genetics is fairly close to eugenics.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. Racist, elitist, Hitleresque.
What I was thinking on reading <Mach50>'s original post was that at least a couple of incoming and seemingly reflexive eugenics/Hitler posts should be anticipated...

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I think the cigar in the bar theme lends itself to a Norman Rockwell painting better than the involved father. I guess its a matter of how one interprets Norms work.
I wasn't meaning to critique Rockwell's work as an artist, nor the entirety of interpretation of it. Rather I was focusing on the miasma of pop culture misunderstanding that has grown up around his work in some circles...the rather Reaganesque vision of an America that never was that we could and should work to return to...

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,434,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
For a long time I was in love with a woman who had a teenage son and beyond child bearing age. I figured I would never have children but was never at peace with that idea. She eventually left and I found my wife and we have a 3 and 4 year old sitting in the next room. I dont think I ever developed fully ,emotionally,until I had children. So many things have changed in my behaivior for the sake of my children that i am a completely different person. And at least by what i consider the standards of almost any civilization I am better for this growth.

And I can tell you the very moment that change occured. When my wife gave birth to our first child and the doctor said MR. Allen are you going to deliver your daughter? He stepped away from my wife and I put down the camera as she pushed our little girl into my arms. Right then, standing their with this slimey ball of life trying not to fumble it is the moment I reached personal self actualization.
This is soooo true. I was in my opinion fully matured until I saw my daughters beautiful eyes in the first few moments of her life. I cant believe how much change happened automatically within myself. Having children is not selfish. We give up everything we had wanted for ourselves to give everything we have to a helpless little child that needs our undivided attention 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We strain and work hard to make sure to help them on their journey into adulthood, we pay countless thousands of dollars to get them the best education we can get. We pass on our wisdom and our morals to see that they live a good life.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,152,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There's a big childfree movement in the world.

I was sterilized over 30 years ago and never had a regret. My ex-husband was also sterilized.
Why would I want to bring a child into this world?

I wish more people would understand that they can be whole people without breeding. There would be fewer abused and abandoned children in the world.
I for one, just want to thank you for your decision!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,152,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Pro-Choice I may be; that woman's attitude disgusted me to no end

Thank God she did have herself sterilized------her ilk would have no business having children (or even pets IMHO) anyway.
Indeed arizona, if people have this kind of attitude towards children, I think we can all be glad that they will never have any for the childs sake!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,152,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
All of genetics is fairly close to eugenics.
I disagree, and that's pretty insulting to geneticists who work hard decoding the human genome in order to cure disease.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What I was thinking on reading <Mach50>'s original post was that at least a couple of incoming and seemingly reflexive eugenics/Hitler posts should be anticipated...
I think it's pretty preachy and arrogant, particularly since he and his wife are expecting...meaning he assumes he's among the "elite" who should be breeding.

This isn't the first time I've recoiled in horror at something he's written.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Already been posted:

One down, how many more to go?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
We give up everything we had wanted for ourselves to give everything we have to a helpless little child that needs our undivided attention 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We strain and work hard to make sure to help them on their journey into adulthood, we pay countless thousands of dollars to get them the best education we can get. We pass on our wisdom and our morals to see that they live a good life.
And a lot of other people already have and yet are going to join you along that important way. I'm not sure how all this is going to play to the Rugged Individualist -- Don't Owe Anything to Anybody crowd, though...

Last edited by saganista; 11-24-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or