U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,427 posts, read 5,747,775 times
Reputation: 1530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is the state of Michigan going bankrupt or plan on filing for bankruptcy any time soon?
If they pay the pensions cost, yes they will..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2013, 08:10 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,735,783 times
Reputation: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
If they pay the pensions cost, yes they will..
Nonsense. The pension costs are not extreme. Generally rather small pensions and not a huge number of people.

The real issue is what to do with the remaining 600,000 poor and mostly unemployed. That is the hard one. Minimal civic and social services will break the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,422,617 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
If they pay the pensions cost, yes they will..
Is this based off fact or you not liking liberals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
5,802 posts, read 5,445,530 times
Reputation: 3113
I know of no 'great liberal cities' with the possible exception of Boston, primarily because their citizens are extremely well educated.

Very few of our 50 largest cities have good public school systems; the only one which comes to mind is Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,614 posts, read 16,381,997 times
Reputation: 6343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I know of no 'great liberal cities' with the possible exception of Boston, primarily because their citizens are extremely well educated.

Very few of our 50 largest cities have good public school systems; the only one which comes to mind is Minneapolis.
I'm not sure about the public schools of these cities but Austin, Portland and Seattle are often rated the most livable cities. All of these cities tilt left although Austin is somewhat restrained because it is in right leaning Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,427 posts, read 5,747,775 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm not sure about the public schools of these cities but Austin, Portland and Seattle are often rated the most livable cities. All of these cities tilt left although Austin is somewhat restrained because it is in right leaning Texas.
Thank god for the fact that all of Texas drowns out the insanity of Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Reputation: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I know of no 'great liberal cities' with the possible exception of Boston, primarily because their citizens are extremely well educated.

Very few of our 50 largest cities have good public school systems; the only one which comes to mind is Minneapolis.
What do you consider to be a great city?

All of the largest and most successful cities in the country are dominated by liberals. New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Reputation: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Thank god for the fact that all of Texas drowns out the insanity of Austin.
Austin, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio all have democratic mayors. The fastest growing metros and cities in Texas are all left leaning. It won't be long before Texas is a battleground state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,957,629 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What do you consider to be a great city?

All of the largest and most successful cities in the country are dominated by liberals. New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, Atlanta, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.
Atlanta, Chicago and Washington are great? Too, you left out Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,510 posts, read 9,000,632 times
Reputation: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Atlanta, Chicago and Washington are great? Too, you left out Phoenix.
Those 3 are seriously divided cities. North Chicago is doing extremely well. Washington is seeing some major gentrification as is Atlanta. I'm not saying their public school systems are the best, but overall the cities are in good shape and a lot better than any "conservative" cities we have out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top