U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,614 posts, read 16,388,970 times
Reputation: 6343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
How many people have moved into downtown Detroit in the last 3 years? Because the data I could find quoting the 2010 census said the following:



Downtown Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically very few people live there and as of 3 years ago, it was 63.6% black--how much has this changed in just 3 years. How many new white residents moved in recently? I'm willing to wager it's still not that much.

As far as other gentrification goes as far as new restaurants and bars going in--well, that's what every core city downtown has or is trying to do in the last twenty years. Downtowns might not even be the best place to locate all businesses these days and new residential can be an easy or difficult sell depending on what city you're speaking of, but it's easy to promote a restaurant/nightlife area in older downtowns. It's a way to bring some revenue and commercial vitality back to core cities of sprawling metros where surbanites might be content currently to shop and dine in the suburbs. Detroit metro outside the city of Detroit itself is around 82 percent white, so the market they're going to attract is going to be much whiter than the core city. Money talks, nothing new there...
Notice the title of the article is framed as a question not a declarative fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 AM
 
9,969 posts, read 14,570,568 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Notice the title of the article is framed as a question not a declarative fact.
So even if Downtown Detroit was predominantly white in the future, it'd be what---probably the only small enclave in all of Detroit that was mostly white people. Detroit would still be 80 percent black overall.

Detroit is bankrupt and over half the population fled since the 1960s--the city govenment and businesses still there will be happy for anyone to move there at this point. The article you posted is probably just some random neighorhood activist type. Do you agree with them? If not, why'd you post this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,427 posts, read 5,750,019 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
What "cost" are you referring to? "Diversity at all cost" is just code to the RW base to keep right-wing dupes, like the Fox audience, stirred up and rabid.
"Opinion" like this just prove that right-wingers like yourself live in fear of growing diversity - old white guys losing their grip.
Get ready, nothin' you can do about it.
What cost?

High taxes
Higher crime rates
Failing schools
Infringement on Firearm rights(which leads to crime rates getting even higher)
Welfare voters electing any kleptomaniac statist who promises them something as the expense of another.

We have seen "diversity" in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Miami, LA really though out the southwest in general.

This Leftist Idea that whites have an obligation to become the minority where ever they are the majority all in the of some wrapped form of "social justice" and some how everything will be better when whites are the minority given the mountain of evidence that is just not true. (Brazil, South Africa, Whites living Muslin enclaves in Europe) It is not "opinions" its a fact.

Its all about votes for the leftist, you guys cant win elections without creating massive dependency on the welfare state, and when all else fails "import" millions of poverty stricken like minded leftist for them 3rd world with the promise of Amnesty and welfare.

And if you can see this, and speak out against it, you are a "racist" or a "Nazi" or a "Domestic Terrorist" Americans are no long buying this, American Liberalism is on its death bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,744,224 times
Reputation: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What cost?

High taxes
Higher crime rates
Failing schools
Infringement on Firearm rights(which leads to crime rates getting even higher)
Welfare voters electing any kleptomaniac statist who promises them something as the expense of another.

We have seen "diversity" in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Miami, LA really though out the southwest in general.

This Leftist Idea that whites have an obligation to become the minority where ever they are the majority all in the of some wrapped form of "social justice" and some how everything will be better when whites are the minority given the mountain of evidence that is just not true. (Brazil, South Africa, Whites living Muslin enclaves in Europe) It is not "opinions" its a fact.

Its all about votes for the leftist, you guys cant win elections without creating massive dependency on the welfare state, and when all else fails "import" millions of poverty stricken like minded leftist for them 3rd world with the promise of Amnesty and welfare.

And if you can see this, and speak out against it, you are a "racist" or a "Nazi" or a "Domestic Terrorist" Americans are no long buying this, American Liberalism is on its death bed.
Come back to reality. The context of this thread is Detroit. Detroit is not threatened with higher taxes or crime or bad schools. It has already won the lottery on all three.

Its problems are almost entirely macro economic mixed with some racism. And I am flatly skeptical that the problem of Detroit has any solution that does not involve help from upper levels of government.

The present BK is an attempt by Michigan to avoid having to provide that help. Whether it happens or not the problem is not going away. Eventually Michigan is going to have to figure a way to fix it though they may duck for another decade and let it get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM
 
Location: North America
19,634 posts, read 12,401,975 times
Reputation: 8282
Since I don't live in Detroit, nor ever imagine myself living in Detroit, I would say...meh, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:38 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,744,224 times
Reputation: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Since I don't live in Detroit, nor ever imagine myself living in Detroit, I would say...meh, who cares?
To a large degree you represent the problem. The only ones who really care are the residents of Detroit Metro who are inextricably intertwined with Detroit. Can they live with a large out of control area in the center of the metropolis? I don't think that is workable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,439,983 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
To a large degree you represent the problem. The only ones who really care are the residents of Detroit Metro who are inextricably intertwined with Detroit. Can they live with a large out of control area in the center of the metropolis? I don't think that is workable.
I disagree, I don't care about Dallas, TX but that doesn't mean it has any effect on Texas. In the general concept though I could agree with you that Detroit is doing a poor job attracting new residents to its city like more attractive and more active cities are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
9,427 posts, read 5,750,019 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
To a large degree you represent the problem. The only ones who really care are the residents of Detroit Metro who are inextricably intertwined with Detroit. Can they live with a large out of control area in the center of the metropolis? I don't think that is workable.
No the voters of Detroit are the problem, they voted in Progressive Marxist that created this hell. Buying votes from the public sectors unions and the citizenry promising something great and sticking the cost to the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,744,224 times
Reputation: 5419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No the voters of Detroit are the problem, they voted in Progressive Marxist that created this hell. Buying votes from the public sectors unions and the citizenry promising something great and sticking the cost to the rich.
Nonsense...utter nonsense...believed only by the extreme right winger. There are a number of other cities run as poorly or worse than Detroit which have not crashed.

And irrelevant on its face. You still have a huge problem area planted in the middle of a 4 million people metro area. It basically still has to be fixed.

And note the prime source of revenue in Detroit is income tax paid by suburbanites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
 
4,588 posts, read 2,910,479 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That sounds more believable. I am sure there are plenty of young people in Michigan and surrounding midwest areas that are looking to get away from the suburbs and rural life for something more urban and exciting.
urban is "exciting?" I find it incredibly boring and annoying. unless you like crowds of idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top