U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,587,849 times

Advertisements

Not gonna happen anytime soon.

I grew up in the rural south. All my relatives still live in the south. Every time I go back to visit it's pretty revolting. Racism and bigotry against anyone who isn't a heterosexual white christian are the norm. Not being a racist makes one an oddball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 7,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Will you ever read my post and notice the part where I asked why "some" people in America can't move past skin color?
Read the title of your thread.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:18 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,965,586 times
Quote:
Will you ever read my post and notice the part where I asked why "some" people in America can't move past skin color?
Why focus on "some" people? Why let "some" push/bring you down? Look around and see the progress and focus on it (sports, president, congresspersons, the list is LONG and significant!). Why let "some" ruin the big picture? There will always be a "some". I think affirmative action type programs say (pretty much) "you need help". I'd rather stand on my own two feet and prove myself, but we insist on continuing the "you need help" industry. And that's unfortunate - but still, I think we've made huge and evident strides despite it. You can't point out other countries that are better - maybe because there aren't any. Possibly Israel.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 PM

835 posts, read 899,792 times
Quote:
I hoped for the day America finally realized that skin color doesn't matter. I hoped for a day where America dropped those silly generalizations and realized that every human is an individual with their own mind and free will.....

That day never came and I'm starting to think it will never come.

Why can't some people in this country look past skin color?
Two people of the same race won't always go down the same path, every race has people who do bad and people who do good, and your skin color does not control your actions. I find myself repeating these things everyday and people refuse to listen.

Do you think we can finally move on from this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Read the title of your thread.
Read what I put in bold.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,469,138 times
Quote:
I hoped for the day America finally realized that skin color doesn't matter. I hoped for a day where America dropped those silly generalizations and realized that every human is an individual with their own mind and free will.....

That day never came and I'm starting to think it will never come.

Why can't some people in this country look past skin color? Two people of the same race won't always go down the same path, every race has people who do bad and people who do good, and your skin color does not control your actions. I find myself repeating these things everyday and people refuse to listen.

Honestly, not until whites are the minority, and maybe even past then. Look at South Africa.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 7,786,272 times
Quote:
Read what I put in bold.
I did. Doesn't change the fact that your title is a generalization. On a side note, learn sarcasm.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 PM

835 posts, read 899,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I did. Doesn't change the fact that your title is a generalization. On a side note, learn sarcasm.

The fact that it is in there tells you that I didn't generalize and I know all American people aren't hung up on race and skin color.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:44 PM

544 posts, read 522,220 times
Quote:
The fact that it is in there tells you that I didn't generalize and I know all American people aren't hung up on race and skin color.
LOL, I'm not quite sure what's going on in this thread, but I think you're getting out debated. So I place my vote for JimRom!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 AM

18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
I hoped for the day America finally realized that skin color doesn't matter.

Nope, nada, no way Jose.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 AM

50,698 posts, read 26,743,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not as long as liberals are around.

Democrats are opposed to the fulfillment of Dr. King's dream.

They only remain relevant if they can artificially create division and animosity where it otherwise wouldn't exist.
"Fulfillment" of Dr. Kings dream? That's a good one.

You guys only care about his dream because he's safely dead and can't be the nuisance he was to you guys when he was alive.

Division and animosity are part of the American DNA...and liberals didn't make it that way.

So no...we won't get past skin color and other generalizations. And frankly, it's no big deal if we don't since we've managed as a nation to get this far without getting past it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies