U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should pole dancing be an Olympic Sport?
Yes 23 40.35%
No 20 35.09%
Harrier, what have you been smoking today? 22 38.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times
Reputation: 3425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
People who have never played a sport or don't really watch them have no valid opinion as to what sport should be accepted into the Olympics.

Pole dancing... What a joke.
Have you ever pole danced or knew someone that pole danced? I have, and I can say that pole dancing is a lot more difficult than ping pong. You don't even have to be in shape to be good at ping pong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: The West
350 posts, read 357,538 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Have you ever pole danced or knew someone that pole danced? I have, and I can say that pole dancing is a lot more difficult than ping pong. You don't even have to be in shape to be good at ping pong.
I've seen pole dancing before. It's a form of art.. It's takes skill but is nowhere close to being a "sport"

I've always said, there are sports then there are sports that aren't really sports. Lol

Pole dancing is more like an activity. It's a damn shame sports such as wrestling and baseball are being removed, but pole dancing is being considered..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
I've seen pole dancing before. It's a form of art.. It's takes skill but is nowhere close to being a "sport"

I've always said, there are sports then there are sports that aren't really sports. Lol

Pole dancing is more like an activity. It's a damn shame sports such as wrestling and baseball are being removed, but pole dancing is being considered..
Not sure about baseball, but wrestling hasn't been removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
 
Location: The West
350 posts, read 357,538 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not sure about baseball, but wrestling hasn't been removed.
baseball was removed and wrestling will follow suite come 2020 I believe.

There's tons of sports that should be in the Olympics before an activity such as pole dancing: Cricket, Squash, MMA, Hurling..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
baseball was removed and wrestling will follow suite come 2020 I believe.
Wrestling reinstated to Olympic program for 2020 Games in Tokyo - CNN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
There's tons of sports that should be in the Olympics before an activity such as pole dancing: Cricket, Squash, MMA, Hurling..
By the same token ping pong is an Olympic sport. I suppose we just need to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Location: The West
350 posts, read 357,538 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Wrestling reinstated to Olympic program for 2020 Games in Tokyo - CNN.com



By the same token ping pong is an Olympic sport. I suppose we just need to agree to disagree.
Ping Pong is most definitely a sport. It's just a watered down version of tennis. You move around a lot, sweat and must be in good physical shape. We aren't talking about the ping pong we play with our families in our basements here.

Consider this:



Versus this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Someplace Wonderful
5,178 posts, read 3,883,474 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
People who have never played a sport or don't really watch them have no valid opinion as to what sport should be accepted into the Olympics.

Pole dancing... What a joke.
So Ice Dancing should remain? How about rhythmic gymnastics? Figure skating? Snow boarding on that half pipe? Biathlon? Yachting? Canoeing? Track and Field, for gawd sakes? Who in this day and age cares about track and field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,125 posts, read 21,963,098 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Track and Field, for gawd sakes? Who in this day and age cares about track and field?
Harrier. Think about what the events entail. Running, jumping, and throwing objects. All skills thar helped people in the hunter/gatherer era survive. They were valuable skills in ancient combat and today's soldiers still run, jump, and throw things. Track and field allows us to remember our primal sub-nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,972,319 times
Reputation: 9708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
That or Jewish wedding dancing
You mean the "hora?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,972,319 times
Reputation: 9708
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons


I've seen pole dancing before. It's a form of
art.. It's takes skill but is nowhere close to being a "sport"

I've
always said, there are sports then there are sports that aren't really sports.
Lol

Pole dancing is more like an activity. It's a damn shame sports such
as wrestling and baseball are being removed, but pole dancing is being
considered..
Most countries don't play baseball.
Why is the World Series called the World Series, when no other countries participate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top