U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,292 posts, read 14,031,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Agreed. Pure capitalism doesn`t either.
too bad we havent seen pure capitalism

we have been a fascist country since FDR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,475,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A simple idea for eliminating poverty is garnering greater attention in recent weeks: automatically have the government give every adult a basic income.

The Atlantic's Matt Bruenig and Elizabeth Stoker brought up the idea a few weeks ago when they contemplated cutting poverty in half, and Annie Lowrey revisited it in today's issue of the New York Times Magazine.

American basic income: An end to poverty?
$11,000 ???????????? That wouldn't even cover my golf habit. I need at least $100k or I won't vote for this welfare scheme.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM

29,986 posts, read 16,586,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Exactly. I worked for a women who thought this very thing was an awesome idea. She told me that in this scenario, people like her (who liked to relax and do nothing) could be supported by folks like me (who like to work). The look on her face was priceless when I told her that I "liked" to work because I "like" to eat and have shelter, and that if she was looking to me to support her lazy ways, she would starve.
What? You spoke like that to a job creator?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM

22,699 posts, read 16,808,575 times
From the article:

Quote:
The government could also offer a basic income of $6,000 a year instead of up to the poverty line. Funding a basic income for all working-age adults would not be easy and would require a substantial increase in the size of government, but it's not impossible either.

What are the benefits of a basic income?

The clear one is that no American would live below the poverty line.
Um.....

That doesn't even make sense.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,499,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
too bad we havent seen pure capitalism

we have been a fascist country since FDR
Pure capitalism would be horrible in this country, it would create winners and losers and the entire middle class would become the losers as they became the working poor.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 AM

22,699 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Sure.

And when everybody quit work to subsist on this basic income, who would be left to pay the basic income to them?

(The OP is a troll post, correct?)
No, the OP is not a troll. He looks for news, and he posts it when he sees it. You don't see him get involved in debates about it, he just posts and gets the discussion going. It's really not fair to call him a troll, this is how he does his thing on CD.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A simple idea for eliminating poverty is garnering greater attention in recent weeks: automatically have the government give every adult a basic income.

The Atlantic's Matt Bruenig and Elizabeth Stoker brought up the idea a few weeks ago when they contemplated cutting poverty in half, and Annie Lowrey revisited it in today's issue of the New York Times Magazine.

American basic income: An end to poverty?
Well then join up and become a lifetime member.
These people have it all worked out on paper and just need a country to try it out on.

BIEN Home
Founded in 1986, the Basic Income European Network (BIEN) aims to serve as a link between individuals and groups committed to, or interested in, basic income, i.e. an income unconditionally granted to all on an individual basis, without means test or work requirement, and to foster informed discussion on this topic throughout Europe.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM

11,720 posts, read 8,296,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Agreed. Pure capitalism doesn`t either.
Can you point out the failed nations and societies that back up your supposition?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,497,818 times
Currently, a burger-flipper at McD's making the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and working 30 hours a week would see just over $11000 a year. Since the "basic income" would go to everyone (thus conveniently making everyone dependent on the gov't for a portion of their income), the burger-flipper's annual income would double. Of course, under the plan proposed in the article, he would no longer receive any government benefits (food stamps, low income housing, medicaid) that he had been receiving.

In theory, this should reduce the size of government since all of these safety net (or hammock) programs would no longer exist. Right, and the income tax enacted over 100 years ago was only supposed to be temporary.

To say that a basic income would eliminate poverty is naieve at best. The current poverty line is based on what that amount of income will buy you. Take away the additional government benefits and add in skyrocketing prices and you may end up hurting the people you are most trying to help.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM

10,582 posts, read 8,278,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, the OP is not a troll. He looks for news, and he posts it when he sees it. You don't see him get involved in debates about it, he just posts and gets the discussion going. It's really not fair to call him a troll, this is how he does his thing on CD.
My apologies. I will rephrase:

Is the news article he found and posted, a complete joke written by somebody who was trying to find how many suckers he could find to believe it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies